Fav film 2002

James45

Standard Member
Reaction score
Too many choices for a poll so what was your favourite film this year? I'll kick things off with

INSOMNIA

Director Christopher Nolan manages to improve on his rather good debut film Memento with this sensational thriller.
Award-worthy performances from Al Pacino (a real return to form) and Robin Williams, first rate structure and pacing (a real slow burner this one) and gorgeous cinematography. Can't wait to see his next film, Insomnia has gone straight into my top ten.

Two Towers would have grabbed it for the sheer enjoyment factor but I felt the bit before the final battles dragged on and on.

Probably would have to go with Donnie Darko. It twisted my mellon man. :)

donnie darko for me
or minority report even if its quite poor the second time round on dvd

yep got to be Donnie

I was very impressed with Two Towers which I saw last night

The other 8 in my top 10 of 2002 in no order would be

Mullholland Drive
Vanilla Sky
Royal Tennenbaums
The Road To Perdition
One Hour Photo
K-Pax
Black Hawk Down
Minority Report

I will be interested to see how many appear in Woss' top 10

The worst would have to be All or Nothing I felt like the Sloth victim in se7en my mind turned to mush out of bordom

I really enjoyed Spiderman, definately my top film I have seen this year. Will not see TTT till next year, but I would most probably assume it will be my favourite film.

Also enjoyed The man who wasn't there (not sure if it was released this year or last??? dam my awful memory). Mullholland Drive was another good 'un.

Most disappointing film had to be SW:AOTC - the worst star wars ever made IMO. Along with 28 Days Later as I wanted it to be scary and it was about as scary as watching paint dry.

As A fan of Spider-Man I was picking faults in it, I hated the Green Goblins costume which seemed more in keeping with the Power Rangers and after all aren’t goblins suppose to be organic, not robotic!
Die An Other Day was one of the worst Bond films I have seen despite it being the highest grossing one yet.
Saw The Two Towers this afternoon and enjoyed it from start to finish the only fault with it was it ended roll on The Return Of The King..

Star Wars Episode II gets my vote for best film. It's also the only film I saw 5 times in the cinema :D.

Vanilla Sky comes a very close second though.

SW:AOTC gets my vote as well. It aint perfect but it delivered where a SW fan wanted it too.

TTT was good but went against alot of the charracter building and atmosphere created in FOTR.

On the big screen I would have to say Signs with mel gibson, one hell of a film, scared the bejeebies out of me.

On DVD I would have to go for AOTC - An all round well put together package, and thoughraly (spelt wrong?) enjoyable flick.

Originally posted by groundy
Star Wars Episode II gets my vote for best film.
Same here. :cool:

Donnie Darko for me.

Well.. did you expect me to say anything else?

:)

Mulholland Drive. So good I bought it twice. OR Lantana or...

Fav proper films: Donnie Darko/ Mullholland Drive.
Fav Trashy Action Film: Dog Soldiers.

Donnie/ TTT (but if people don't stop looking around during battle scenes, just saying "look at that" and not being hacked to pieces then I'm not gonna be happy).

None i liked them all. If i had to pick one it would be AOTC but TTT Donnie Darko ect was all good films in there own right. Even goldmember was up there aswell as Mr Deeds.

Originally posted by James45
can't believe Mullholland Drive is that popular?!:eek:
Can't believe Insomnia is your film of the year and you liked it more than Memento :eek: ;) :p

Two Towers

Saw it yesterday & whilst it's not perfect, it will be the film most remembered from 2002 in years to come. And if Andy Serkis isn't nominated for Oscar/Bafta then there just ain't no justice.

BTW I love Insomnia & I think it's almost as good as Memento

I'm joining the Donnie Darko camp - what a superbly black, comic and different film AND it came out of Hollywood!!! When, when, when is it gonna be released on DVD?

Originally posted by sharon
When, when, when is it gonna be released on DVD?

It has been available on region 1 DVD for at least 6 months. 14.99 from cdwow I think.

Region 2 should be out fairly soon I would have thought.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Can't believe Insomnia is your film of the year and you liked it more than Memento :eek: ;) :p

Surely Memento was released in 2000, or have i got the wrong end of the stick

Mulholland is a great film IMO

I though Insomnia whilst visually stunning it was still a bog standard very obvious thriller. Only great work from Nolan and Williams/Pachino turning in Superb performances made it well above average. But the best film of 2002, i can not agree

Originally posted by bobbles
Surely Memento was released in 2000, or have i got the wrong end of the stick
You have. Point was not that Memento should be film of the year, merely that I was shocked that James said he thought Insomnia was better than Memento and shocked that he thought it was film of the year. Like you, I do like Insomnia, but it didn't bowl me over. I think Nolan missed far too many opportunities to turn a good movie into a great movie. Like many, I was also disappointed that Williams didn't appear until relatively late in the movie. As always though, each to their own :)

My Top 10

1. LOTR TTT
2. Donnie Darko
3. AOTC
4. Spiderman
5. Dog Soldiers
6. Insomnia
7. Black Hawk Down
8. K - Pax
9. Road To Perdition
10. The Bourne Identity

And the worst film of the year and maybe of all time Vanilla Sky.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom