1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Latman, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Marantz sr5200 amp and Mission fsav2 speaker set which arrived only yesterday.
    I've spent all night setting them up and when I goto test mode on the amp, all the speakers sound fine, but nothing from the sub. I've tried just about everything, nothing.
    One thing I have noticed is that I cannot change the sound on the speakers higher then 15db. Is that normal?
    I am not sure if is it an amp problem or the sub!
    Can someone perhaps tell me what the menu setting should be?
    I don't know what to do!
    :(

2. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone got anything from empire direct before which arrived faulty? How do they operate? Do I have to send it away, or will they arrange a pickup? Or maybe send someone for repair?

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    How have you got the speakers set in the amplifier? Large/Small??

4. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First I've set them up as large, then small again and it didn't make any difference, so I've left them on large.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    You have got all the speakers via the subwoofer and not directly to the amp??

Usually you would have all speakers set to Large, bass to LFE & MAIN (BOTH) and then set the crossover on the amp as high as it will go. Then on the sub, set the volume and bass contour to around the halfway mark and adjust from there.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The test tones should also include the sub and if it is being missed out there is a problem somewhere, probably with a faulty cable / connection or the sub itself.

I can't help you any further as I am not familiar with the FSAV2 speakers as they don't connect up in the usual way

7. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Speakers (all five of them) are connected to the amp. Cable from the sub plugs into sub out on the amp. Like Ian J said, tests should include the sub, but it doesn't.
    My other concern is the db settings. they don't go any higher then 15db, is this normal?

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
  9. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just spoke to empire direct. They said they might be able to swap out the whole thing altogether. But they are out of stock! I've asked if it is possible to swap out just the sub, and she wasn't sure, so she said she will get back to me at sometime today.
    I hope this doesn't drag on, I haven't even experienced any cinema sound yet! :(

10. ads1

ads1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the cheaper S4200 receiver. This also doesn't give a test signal to the sub (or the output is at an inaudibly low level). It might be a "feature" on this series. Its a quirk I've learned to live with and find that calibration of the sub level by ear is ok.

The LFE channel works fine on my amp though. Just play one of the usual bass test scenes to reassure yourself. In fact with the FS2 setup, doesn't the sub supply a lot of the lower mid-range frequencies as well?

andy

11. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm, I am begining to wonder if it was meant to be like that. I should have tested it with one of the dvd's, like pitch black. How silly of me.
    I will try that tonight when I get home.
    Just had a call from empire direct as well and they have confirmed that they will pick it up tomorrow.
    They will collect the whole thing, which means all that work (cutting cables, placing speakers and unpacking) was wasted! :(