Faulty Yamakawa 365 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by harrisuk, Mar 24, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ordered a Yamakawa 365 DVD Player via ebay.de. It arrived on Monday. Tried it out last night and unfortunately it seems to be faulty.

Will play discs but freezes after a few minutes of play and has to be switched off to reset. In addition to this if you eject the disc and put another dvd in it wont read it. You have to switch the power off to reset the machine every time you want to play another disc. I am guessing this could be a problem with the laser alignement, maybe took a knock in transit but I am no expert.

Not a happy bunny :mad: .......I have contacted Yamakawa in Germany direct and they seem willing to replace / repair it.

Anyone got any experience with faults to these players and getting it sorted out ?

2. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you checked whether new firmware is available?

Just a thought as sometimes players are shipped with really old firmware. My Elta 8883 had new firmware released in October last year, but I only just bought it and it had an older firmware installed. Upgrading the firmware fixed a lot of problems.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Latest firmware is 2.71T.

You should be able to check on the audio setup page I think. If the option to check is not there then you certainly have an old firmware.

An upgrade will have a good chance of fixing your problems. The old firmwares on the V880 and this were rubbish!

If you PM me your email address I can send you the latest firmware. If you can't burn a CD and ask nicely I might even brun one for you.... ;)

Cheers
    Marc

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks I will send you a pm. I can burn it to a CD. Does this sound like a problem that can be sorted by Firmware ? It is certainly worth a go if it is has an old version but it seems more likely to be a problem with the laser alignment is it is having problems recognising / reading discs ?

Yamakawa have been very helpful thus far. They have given me an RMA number and said I can send it back to be replaced / repaired. Obviously I would be happier if I could sort the problem myself.

Incidentally how do you install the new firmware version ?

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sent you the firmware and instructions to upgrade.

It could be a firmware problem, the amount of cheaper DVD players that have problems playing disks in early versions is surprisingly high.

You have nothing to lose trying.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Marc

6. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have problems with mine also when I would eject one disc and insert another. e.g. on 24 R1 it would stutter and skip on the lead up to the menu. The menu music would play weird but the menu options were selectable. Same with Friends R2. I've not encountered this problem since upgrading to the latest firmware mentioned in another post. I'm surprised Yamakawa didn't suggest upgrading the firmware when they contacted you.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback chaps you have cheered me up a bit. Will certainly give the firmware upgrade a go (If its not already the new version of course).

In fairness Yamakawa have been very helpful and agreed to pay return to postage to the UK. I think this is pretty good of them considering they dont currently sell to the UK market.

uczmeg not had the email with the latest firmware version as yet, did you get my PM ?

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Email sent at 11:16 and it hasn't bounced back.

Give it a bit longer and PM me again if it doesn't arrive.

It is a 2meg zip. Will hotmail accept 2meg files?

Cheers
    Marc

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That is the problem my hotmail account is only 2meg total.
    I will send you another pm with my work address.

Sorry about that.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You can d/l it directly from this link if you prefer

http://www.yamakawa.de/Firmware/3xx/EM85xx_MP101SC004_271T_20040214.iso

download the firmware file

burn the ISO to a CD using nero or similar

take the finished CD from the CD writer and put it into the DVD-Player and close the drive

switch off DVD-Player

press the STOP key in the front panel of the player

while still holding the STOP key, switch on the DVD-Player unsing the power key on the front panel

keep on holding the STOP key untill CD boot is no longer displayed and you can see Load in the display.

When a blue screen on the TV is asking you to update the firmware, press the PLAY key twice to confirm

After about 30sec. you can see Flash on the display and the update starts with a graphic showing its progress. The update may last 1 to 2 min. During this time the green bar is moving from left to right.

The player opens the drive, when update is finished. Now you can take out the CD.

Switch off the player. Update is done now. When starting player again the new firmware is available.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks chaps. You have been very helpful. I seem to have successfully burned the firmware files you provided to CDR using Nero.

I will print out you this post and check tonight if the player I have does indeed have the old firmware (Check the Audio menu ?)

If it does I will upgrade the firmware using the instructions you provided and see what happens. I will post my findings.

Fingers crossed.

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My inquisitive nature has led me to have a look around the firmware upgrade files you provided. Looks like the menu background image file is in the root of the firmware disc.

Anyone tried replacing this with a similar sized file in the same format. Would be cool to be able to change the splash screen on your dvd player! :smoke:

I am getting ahead of myself now. Have enough problems getting the thing to work! Someone must have tried this though.........

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You clearly have too much time on your hands...!

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Your not wrong there !

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Update. Firstly the Firmware version was 2.51 o n my player. Sounds quite old ? So I flashed it to the new version you provided. No problems.

I have tested it quickly and it still wont play discs unless they are in the drive when the unit is switched off and then back on again.

However it does not seem to be freezing up anymore whilst playing discs. I will use it over the next few days and see if it continues to work.

If it just means powering off every time I need to play a disc I think I can probably live with that rather than have the hastle of sending it back to Germany.

Not ideal though. Thanks for the help anyway chaps.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can definately confirm that the firmware upgrade has not corrected the fault. It still wont read discs unless the disc is loaded when the machine is swiched on / off.

And having used it for a bit last night it is still freezing up whilst playing discs as well. I almost lost a family guy DVD that it was refusing to eject. Not happy. Its a shame as if it had worked I am such it would have done the business with my Panny ae500 projector.

I am now wishing I had waited for a decent manufacturer to bring out a dvi enabled player at a reasonable price.

Certainly wont be able to recommend this player to anyone I am afraid. It looks cheap, feels cheap and worst of all it dosnt work !

Ok bad luck I know but it is the first problem I have had with a DVD player and this is my 6th one.

I now have to take the gamble and send it back to Yamakawa in Germany for repair. They may fix it and get it back it me in good order. They may not. But it looks like it is going to Cost me around £30 to find out :mad:

17. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Looks like you've been very unlucky with this purchase. I bought the Yamakawa from eBay.de aswell and had no such problems, it had the latest firmware installed, no problems such as picture freezing, disc refusing to eject etc. One thing I noted is that the tray won't open while in set up mode.
    I am very happy with it, the picture quality is awesome on the AE500. It's definitely not the prettiest player around but it seems sturdy enough, certainly compared to other 'cheap' models.

Can you not return it to the eBay shop which sold you it for a replacement?

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Possibly. Either way it has to go back to Germany. If I send it back to the vendor, he sends me another one I might get problems again. At least if they fix it, should be alright when it leaves them.

There is also the option of cutting my loses and trying to claim on the insurance, wait for a decent manufacturer to come up with a reasonably priced player with DVI out.

Dont get me wrong. Its the risk you take if you buy things like this abroad. You pay your money and take the chances.

As I said though I would not be able to recommend this player to anyone else so far based on my experience. I think this is fair enough really.

As you say its a cheap player with good features, but it dosnt look or feel well made and I have certainly found this to be the case unfortunately. I have heard many good things about the picture quality. Hopefully I will be able to see what it can do at some point.

19. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have had a 365 for a few months now and had no problems! I also think I have a very old firmware, as it does not show on the audio set up page. I am tempted to upgrade to the latest firmware, but am a bit scared to mess up something that is working fine. However, I can't help but think that the 720p picture may look even better with the new firmware?? I find that 480p doesn't work properly on my Z2, which is OK, as I don't use it anyway, but it does make me feel that the firmware may not be the best? I do not have the 576p option either. Does anyone know if the PAL 2:2 film mode has been addressed yet, or if it ever will? I read that the player relys on flags to decide if the source is film based or not and that as most R2 discs are not flagged correctly, this causes incorrect deinterlacing?

To burn the ISO files to a CD using Nero, does one simply unzip the files and drag them all accross? Thanks.

BTW. I would say that the Yamakawa felt pretty solid ang heavy and would recommend it. It's build is no-where near my Tosh SD900, but it feels as well made as most budget decks. Sorry you got a dud harrisuk, but you have to admit that Yamakawa are offering better service than many of those so called 'decent manufacturers'!

20. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I agree it is a bit harsh to knock Yamakawa because buying one off a guy in another country off eBay didn't work out so well.

Sure the Yamakawa feels a bit cheap. It was! But it is light years ahead of the V880. And at the end of the day picture is everything and nothing comes close under £500.

Well a working DVD player first I guess! Something I never got from the Samsung 935!

Kane, you should be able to burn the firmware by just double clicking on the file. The file type should automatically run your CD software.

It is easy to downgrade the firmware to earlier versions and I've seen or heard no bad issues with 2.71T.

I doubt it will improve modes you already use, but it will give you extra modes and allow custom settings.

There is always the, if it isn't broke, why fix it approach....

But I never subscribed to that! ;)

Cheers
    Marc

21. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tried updating firmware, but instead of getting the blue screen asking me if I want to update firmware or not, I get a message saying 'No media files on disc, please insert another disc' or words to that effect! Anyone know why this is? The 4,480 KB file seems to be on the disc, so why is it not working?

Thanks

22. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You don't copy the file to the disk.

It is a disk image.

Easy CD just let me double click on it and it created the CD for me.

Cheers
    Marc

23. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    BTW

Double clicking the ISO file did not launch Nero, Windows just said it needed to know what program created it before it could open it and then I let it go online to find the info it needed. It just confirmed it was a CD image, so I simply opened Nero selected CD-ROM (ISO) and clicked new. I then dragged the file over from the file browser window into the 'compile' window and then burnt it. I assume this is wrong? I have never created a CD/DVD from an image and I'm a bit crap in general when it comes to certain aspects of computers.

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I see what you are saying but I can hardly wax lyrical about a dvd player that dosnt work. Yes it is a cheap player. Yes it is as good if not better in terms of look and feel that other cheap players I have seen in the past. I cant knock its features or the quality of playback or sound (WHen it works) and certainly not for the price. But at least the other cheap dvd players I have had experience of have worked !

Yes I bought it off ebay. But off a legit guy with a very high rating that has sold many of these players. No problems with him. If I had brought from one of the german retailers offering these it would have been no better if I got a dud. I would have stil had to send it back, no retailer is going to offer to pay return postage for a faulty postage.

The only difference is that I would have had to wait, most of the german retailers I have tried had no stock.

Yes cant fault there service. They have been great and agreed to take it back and sort out. And send back to me. Cant really ask anymore from them. I am not questioning there service at all, just annoyed that I got a duff player and have the hastle to go with it.

I must say I have never had any problems returning or replacing faulty av equipment before. This is an honest statement, but then again I try to buy decent kit from reputable retailers.

I must admit I have not decided what to do with it yet, but you must appreciate that unlucky or not I only have my experience with this player to go on. And thus far that experience is not great. Maybe I will send it off, and it will come back fixed and I will be amazed.

Lets hope thatis the case and I will come back and admit as much

25. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Having not used Nero I don't know.

I would have thought choose ISO would have made you browse for a file to create the CD from.

If you are just dragging a file to a window and could drag other files there too, then I don't think that is going to work.

Once created from the image, the actual CD will have lots of files and folders on it. Not one file.

Cheers
    Marc

26. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK, I realised how to do it. There is a command - burn CD image in Nero and this seems to have done the trick? It is still updating the firmware, so fingers crossed it won't mess anything up!

Cheers Marc

27. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK that worked!

I have gained the extra resolutions etc which is nice, but one function that I seem to have lost is that when
    I press the video mode button, it no longer tells me which 'mode' (PAL, NTSC etc) I'm in. This is the case on the TV anyway, I haven't checked via the DVI to the Z2 yet. This is not a major problem, but it was nice to know how the 365 was processing the picture, as I found that an NTSC - PAL conversion actually looked better on my TV???? Still, I don't use the player with my TV anyhow, so as long as I know the Z2 is still receiving a 720p signal via DVI, I'll be happy!

28. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just wanted to add that despite what harrisuk says the Yamakawa is amazing for the money. Build quality is not bad at all, in fact it's just as heavy and well built as some Panasonic machines I've had in the past that cost 4 times as much. Sure, the buttons don't look hugely expensive and the lights aren't the fancy wee small LEDs you get on expensive kit, but that's just the point - This is not expensive kit. When you see what it does on screen though all that will be forgiven.

Like others here, I am also surprised at someone telling others not to buy one just because they, unfortunately, got a faulty one. What if it was bashed in transit? What if it was faulty before it was sent? So many 'If's' yet you are telling people not to buy because your one player is not working as it should.

I'm not having a go but rather stating how unfair you are being to a landmark product that a company like Yamakawa are bringing to market. It is players like this that will drive the price down (though hopefully not the quality) of other way more expensive players. Good on Yamakawa.

I say, to anyone looking for a DVI enabled player, get yourself a Yamakawa 365 at £140 and be amazed. There are far more people on these forums with perfect working models than faulty.

Happy viewing :)

29. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Incidentally, when I select the Firmware Version in the Audio Set Up page, this is what appears:

Player Model: 4
    Player Version: (BLANK)
    Loader Version: DVS-DLR DSL-710A, LT77

Ther is no mention of the firmware?? Anyone know if they have a different loader or if Yamakawa have used different loaders on the 365? BTW, the player seems more responsive than before and seems to pick up the IR signal from the remote better. COOL!

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Where have I told anyone not to buy it? I just said I could not recommend it in this thread based on my experience thus far. Obviously anyone reading this can make up their own minds. I am just sharing my honest experience.

Could you recommend a DVD player when your only experience of it is that it doesn’t work? More so a number of people tell you the problems are "common" and can usually be sorted with a firmware upgrade.

Should you have to upgrade the firmware on a brand new DVD player before you can use it? Come on chaps be fair. This is meant to be a sensible discussion :rolleyes:

I am afraid I don’t agree with the build quality comment either. I have two Panasonic DVD players. This just isn’t on the same planet in terms of build, feel or appearance. One of these is a Panasonic DVD recorder that cost me £230 new delivered. This isn’t big money we are talking about but it is of the highest quality.

I accept it’s an excellent speced product. I accept it has excellent features. I accept that they are giving good customer service. I accept that many people have stated that they get exceptionally good quality from this DVD player and they are happy with it (Although admittedly I have only seen half a dozen or so owners on these forums, If I am wrong fair enough but 1 - 7 isn’t a good ratio for faults).

It’s a fair point; yes it could have been damaged in transit. What I am saying is that in my case, it doesn’t work, and having had a decent look at it doesn’t feel or look that well put together either.

You do get unlucky with this stuff sometimes and that is what has happened here. And as I said the problem is compounded by the fact they are not easy to come by over here. I hope I actually get one of these players that works properly so I can give an honest assessment of it.

Ironically I hope I can get one that works properly as it seems to be the only reasonably priced DVI player that can do the job for me that is available at the moment. Even with my experience thus far I would still buy another one, at £130 - £140 it’s worth the risk to see if they are actually as good as people say they are.

Maybe this thread should really be titled "Buyer beware".