Faulty Yamaha RXV-1400 - what would you do ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wandersen, Oct 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought a Yamaha RXV-1400 from Digital Direct about three months ago for around £650. I had it sitting in a box at my house for a month, as the renovations I was having done took a little longer than expected, and I didn't want to install it until the room was ready.

I switched the amp on, and it worked for about 1/2 hour before it stopped working. Sent it back to digital direct - they claimed they could not replace as it was outside the 30 day replacement period, even though I'd only actually used it for 1/2 an hour.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the AMP is STILL away for repair, some two months after send it to Digital Direct (who have been completely unhelpful), and the repairer is still waiting for parts.

What rights do I have here ? I bought the AMP three monhs ago, it's worked for 1/2 an hour, and now nothing. I've no idea (and nor do digital direct) how long this is going to take ....

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    dont buy from companies that cant offer support to their customers and really havent a clue what they are doing..... You will pay more if you go to a dealer but not necassarily that more and your local dealer can offer demos and set-up help as well as much better levels of support.... companies like the one you bought from just get a trade pricelist add XX% and put it up on the web before they know the first thing about what they are selling.... You are in an unfortunate situation... but you did bring it uon yourself... the only option you have is contact yamaha UK be very very nice and hope they will take pity on you......

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I would politely tell Digital Direct that 2 months is a very long time to wait for a repair and that as they have no idea when the amp will be back, I would like a new replacement model now. I've found being firm, not loosing my temper and saying exactly what I would like to happen in order to resolve the problem, usually works.

4. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am absolutely sold on the dealer idea now (don't worry I made my mind up about that the moment I had to organise to send it back to Digital Direct myself). I've also contacted Yamaha UK, but are yet to receive a response.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    keep on at the politley but firmly.... they will have sent it away for repair ask who they sent it and by which courier etc also write to them to say you are unhappy and send the letter recorded delivery..

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    am I wrong in thinking that the Sale of Goods Act (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act) places an implied duty on a retailer to show that the fault didn't exist at the time of sale, and that that duty lies for 6 months after purchase. Regardless of their stated 30 day replacement period, they cannot avoid their statutory duties, only add to them. Your part in this is giving a retailer the chance to make good the problem, either by replacement or repair depending on the age of the product. In this case I think a replacement was in order from the start, and they have now failed on every level.

Your contract is with DD and no-one else - and to be honest the time for polite but firm correspondence has now passed.

2 months is unacceptable and I'd be getting a solicitor's letter sent to DD pronto - this is appalling service and you should use every weapon available to you.

7. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Radiohead, i must admit i have never had a problem ordering online yet!

However if you have clearly been polite and firm with people the next thing to try is the "supa noice" person. I know this will be hard but ask the person on the other end of the phone for their supervisor and then wen you hear that persons voice and make a huge fuss! i mean rant and rave at them then ask if there is anyone more senior than him/her that you can talk to. At this point they will prob pass you on if they can.

After which be super nice to the main guy and point out how long you have waited and you have been resonable to this point ask for a replacement or else you will send a letter from your solicitor. This guy will be the top dog and prob wont want any hassle from the likes of you and may get things sorted for you.

If not have the letter sent.

Hope this works its what people do to us all the time in my job :confused: