1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Yamaha RX-V640RDS ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by acanning, May 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

Has anyone come across this before?

I have just taken delivery of a Yamaha RX-V640RDS upgrading from a DSP-E800. I plugged the new amp in using the main pre-outs to my Meridian gear in the same way as I did with the E800. However, two faults, which may be related, occurred. Firstly, when turning the volume up quickly (holding the volume-up button on the remote down from dead quiet to pretty loud) I get some loud cracks coming through the main front speakers. I mean loud too – I was fearful of damaging them. This happened a few times but not every time. Secondly, if I hit the mute button the sound naturally disappears but when I hit the mute button again the sound only returns through the centre and rear speakers – ie not through the main front speakers. I have to then touch the volume button, either up or down, in order to reinstate sound through the main front speakers.

These faults suggest to me that there is probably a problem with the Pre-Out output stage on the RX-V640RDS as it has never happened when using the DSP-E800. I’m sure there is nothing wrong with the Meridian gear. In fact, I’ve now returned to the E800 and all is well again. I’m assuming that when using the pre-outs from the RX-V640RDS the amp should function as though I was using the onboard amps.

I think I will be exchanging the RX-V640RDS but any comments would be helpful.

Cheers
    AC

2. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hm yes sounds like a short somewhere in your Yamaha

get a replacement :)