Faulty tv who's responsible?

S

soup nazi

I have a faulty Lg plasma(had it over 6 months) and when i complained i was told to phone lg about getting it repaired.
Who is responsible for a faulty plasma,retailer or lg?

soup nazi said:
I have a faulty Lg plasma(had it over 6 months) and when i complained i was told to phone lg about getting it repaired.
Who is responsible for a faulty plasma,retailer or lg?

The retailer, however I suspect all they will do is send it back to the LG for repair:thumbsup:

yes the dealer is responable, remember they have had the profit from the sale.

the dealer should ring lg who will inturn appoint an authorized dealer to look at it for you and carry out a repair under warranty

Thanks for that.:thumbsup:

I have emailed the company back 247electrical.co.uk and provided those two links alongside telling them i want an exchange rather than a repair(as reading on here that the LG repairs take over a month and don't even fix the problem.)
They seem an awkward company(247)so i am expecting a lot of hassle with this problem.

Any advice?

soup nazi said:
Thanks for that.:thumbsup:

I have emailed the company back 247electrical.co.uk and provided those two links alongside telling them i want an exchange rather than a repair(as reading on here that the LG repairs take over a month and don't even fix the problem.)
They seem an awkward company(247)so i am expecting a lot of hassle with this problem.

Any advice?
You can ask for a replacement but the retailer are well within their rights to offer you a repair, as long as it doesn't cause the consumer significant inconvenience.

247 electrical-cowboys!

I would advise people to never buy from that company.

anyway........all they are doing is giving me a cut & paste answer with LG phone number for me to phone them.:mad:

I have 2 options.

1.phone lg myself and it will take a month and it still won't be fixed(another thread has tales of this happening)

2.Go to the county court and fill in a small claims form for a small fee, which will be sent to 247 electrical advising that they have to do something about this, if not i can take them to court.(i assume that if they don't turn up they lose?)

soup nazi said:
247 electrical-cowboys!

I would advise people to never buy from that company.

anyway........all they are doing is giving me a cut & paste answer with LG phone number for me to phone them.:mad:

I have 2 options.

1.phone lg myself and it will take a month and it still won't be fixed(another thread has tales of this happening)

2.Go to the county court and fill in a small claims form for a small fee, which will be sent to 247 electrical advising that they have to do something about this, if not i can take them to court.(i assume that if they don't turn up they lose?)

i dont understand why you havnt phoned lg, you posted 4 days ago if you had rang then, the repair may be under way by now. your also stating it will take a month and it will still not be repaired but these are not your experiences, if you phone them they will give you turn around times and then you can get back to the retailer if these turn out to be unacceptable.

the retailer, i doubt will have there own service dept so they will use the service that is put in place by lg, and they have given you the number to call to get the set repaired.

i dont think you will get a ccj in your favour when you have not given anyone a chance to repair the set.

sorry i dont mean to have a pop at you and i dont work for lg either but i think you have to take some action like the retailer has suggested.:)

Well you are taking a pop.

So what if i posted 4 days ago!

I can phone LG but i bought the tv from a retailer not LG it should be them who sort this out for me.

Take a look at the trading standards link that was kindly posted.It says the retailer is responsible not the manufactuer.

look up 247 electrical on google they are cowboys who cause customers like me hassle.

Retailer is responsible, no doubt.

When older than 6 months you are not entitled to an exchange and the retailer is well entitled to repair in a reasonable amount of time (this is a grey area but a month is probably about the watershed between reasonable and not). I would phone LG if i were you, in my experience you will get it done far quicker.

The retailer is responsible for the g'tee but they will only phone LG and get you a callout booked then call you back. Speak to LG direct and you get the callout day you want and cut out the middle man therefore saving time.

They are right, it's far easier if you phone LG. Cut out the middle man for simplicity. The retailer should lend you a hand if LG fail to act properly, like not repairing, being slow, etc. Yes, technically we are responsible, in practice God helps those who help themselves, at least a bit. It's no more trouble to you to call direct, much less hassle all round. The retailer is most certainly ultimately responsible if it all goes pear shaped, that's the time to put pressure on them if they refuse to act/palm you off.

I am not going to accept a repair on this tv as it developed a fault within the first 6 months of ownership.

I have informed 24-7 electrical about this but they are a bunch of cowboys so i am going to have to take this further.

I don't understand why some people think after spending £1,000+ on a tv, that i should just accept a repair.

All consumer rights indicate that i should not put up with this, and the more people who make a stand than just accept limply a repair, will help others in the same predicament.

There is a huge thread on avforums all about the LG problem and when they get their tv back it's still faulty and some have never even been repaired.

If anyone has contacted Trading standards can you give me some advice please.

Or if you went to the small claims court it would be helpful to explain the process.

thanks.

soup nazi said:
I am not going to accept a repair on this tv as it developed a fault within the first 6 months of ownership.

I have informed 24-7 electrical about this but they are a bunch of cowboys so i am going to have to take this further.

I don't understand why some people think after spending £1,000+ on a tv, that i should just accept a repair.

All consumer rights indicate that i should not put up with this, and the more people who make a stand than just accept limply a repair, will help others in the same predicament.

There is a huge thread on avforums all about the LG problem and when they get their tv back it's still faulty and some have never even been repaired.

If anyone has contacted Trading standards can you give me some advice please.

Or if you went to the small claims court it would be helpful to explain the process.

thanks.
I'm sorry but you have no choice to accept a repair from the retailer as long as it can be carried out without causing significant inconvenience to you, the fact that the fault was discovered within 6 months has nothing to do with it. You'd be only be able to demand a full refund and/or replacement if the fault was discovered within a reasonable time of purchase, ie, 28 days.

Take it as far as you like but as long as the retailer behaves in a reasonable manner then you won't legally have a leg to stand on.

Brendan_dj is the only poster I have seen comment on this

soup nazi said:
I can't understand why you think 24/7 should just write it off and give you a new one. If you car developed a fault would expect your dealer to give you a brand new model just like that, with out at least trying to fix the problem, of course not :rolleyes: .

In some cases I prefer to miss out the middle man and go direct to be honest as there'll invariably be a delay in 247 contacting LG, then arranging a visit or collection.

For example not the same value I know but 1 of my hard drives in my PC developed a fault, was under warranty, could have contacted the reseller but spoke to Seagate themselves and they turned a replacement drive within the week. If I had sent the drive to the retailer, they would have received it, tested it, then packaged it up to Seagate. Seagate then would have sent a replacement to the retailer who in turn would have sent it on to me. This could have taken a month but going direct was much quicker.

You have a right to have a repair, you have been offered a repair, you have been given a phone number to arrange said repair at your own convenience. As much as I hate the attitude of these box-shifter types to pass the buck as much as possible (you ALWAYS get what you pay for :lesson: ) I have to say I don't think you will get very far in court. Even if you went to professional outfit like myself or Martin, we would arrange everything we can for you, but with a company like LG it's still better to call them direct (and I would advise my customers as such) to arrange a convenient time between the two of you for a collection. Otherwise there's just a lot of back and forthing trying to match diary dates, while you sit with a dead plasma on the wall.

As for repair over replacement, if it's very faulty they may have no choice but to replace, however afaik you have no consumer right to a replacement after six months. I hope this doesn't come accross as another retailer sticking up for his own (I hate box shifters as much as you do which is why we do things the way we do, but which is why we are also so much more expensive). Just be careful that you don't enter yourself into a very expensive (in time and money) legal battle that isn't going to get you anywhere. If you think being treated like a number is stressful and out of order, you wait to the way they'll treat you up to and in court!!! I have been there and done it on both sides, both wins, but even still both very unpleasant.

neilmcl said:
I can't understand why you think 24/7 should just write it off and give you a new one. If you car developed a fault would expect your dealer to give you a brand new model just like that, with out at least trying to fix the problem, of course not :rolleyes: .

OK mate 3 posts by you taking sides with the retailer.

You took your side once you don't need to post 3 times.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry mate but i dont think you will get a replacement unless the set is unrepairable ( which you will not know unless somebody looks at it for you)
they will not replace a set that is six months old, they will repair it if poss, that is the whole point of a warranty.

as liam has posted at this time you are sitting with a dead plasma on your wall and i know you didnt like my last post but i cant help but think if you had rang the number provided to you a week ago when your set went off you may have your set back in working condition.

i hope you get what you are looking for but i very much doubt it.

good luck all the same

soup nazi said:
OK mate 3 posts by you taking sides with the retailer.

You took your side once you don't need to post 3 times.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm not taking sides with anyone, just trying to clarify the facts, I'm sorry you are unable or unwilling to understand this. I'm entitled to post as many times as I like if adds something to the thread. In which case, correcting the wrong information constitutes exactly that, especially as it'll help you in the long run.

But, heh, if you don't want to accept the help and advice thats offered then why post here in the first place. Feel free to continue down the route you're going but don't come crying here afterwards when you realise that you should have maybe listened to the advice some of us were generous enough to give. :nono:

I was in fact calling the companies bluff but now i understand that you have to accept repairs.

no problem neil i am just stressed and annoyed by this situation, and when people tell you things you don't want to hear, it adds to more annoyance.

But guess what i did call LG for a repair and they arranged to come today to pick it up.

But.....I had to go to the Dr this morning!
The Lg man phoned this morning saying he was on his way in about 1 hour and i said i have to go to the doctors first and would be back in under 2 hrs.

very grumpy man basically would not wait for me even though he had another collection in the area.

.....happy days........but worse is to come......

Just had a phone call from LG saying i refused the collection(i did not)
and i HAVE(emphasis on purpose)to be in when they come round betwen 9-5.

and here's the killer........

They have charged me £55 for refusing the repair.
I told her that i had an urgent doctors appointment and could not help that i took ill, but she was snooty and up herself and after i told her i was not paying the £55 charge.
She said that unless it was paid i would not get it repaired..........
............don't you wish your day was as happy as mine.:rolleyes:

I now feel like taking the crappy LG plasma into the middle of the street and taking a baseball bat at it.:)

i'm on your side on the £55. that seems harsh

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom