Faulty TV- John lewis 5 year guarantee 'offer'?

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with JL 5 year guarantee.
TV is 2 months inside its warranty end date and has been confirmed as uneconomical to repair. The TV was £1099 4 years and 10 months ago. JL have offered me circa £650 citing use and advance in technologies. I gently protested as my expectation was for a £1099 ' voucher ' to use within JL for a new TV.
Does anyone have any experience of this please?
This is a standard practice. you were lucky to get 650!

Hi, I really feel for iybysisul. I don't work for John Lewis but I had exactly the same thing happen to me and felt that it went very well emotionally, practically and financially.
I'm going to relate my story but I'm also going to talk about how it may have gone better in the example iybyisul has given.
Please can I ask iybyisul's forgiveness beforehand, I absolutely don't want to give the impression that I'm criticising in any way, be do want to offer a few thoughts.

Situation
I bought a Samsung UE48H6400 off John Lewis in 2014. Six weeks before the end of the guarantee the set developed these white flare spore on the TV. Booked a John Lewis technician to come round, was told by the technician that I would be sent a new panel replacement. After the technician left I received a call from John Lewis to say that they wouldn't replace the panel and that under the guarantee I could a replacement set.
Initially they offered a sum of money but in the end I got a TV that I put an extra two hundred pounds to and got a very nice Panasonic 58 inch tv gx800.

Practicalities
In terms of the replacement set, what John Lewis are offering is a guarantee of technology not guarantee of money. The example I was given was that if Sony, for example, have three tiers of TVs and you buy a TV from tier two, then if the TV goes wrong, you are able to get a TV from the current tier 2 range.
Flexibility and Negotiation.
I really empathise with iybyisul. Something that comes through in this case is that the communication could have been different. I think iybyisul very reasonably responded to the information that John Lewis gave and then tried to negotiate on that basis. I think John Lewis could have been a little more flexible and what comes across is, I think, that once John Lewis had stated a position, they felt they had to stick to it.
Better Outcome.
When discussing a situation like this with a retailer the first call with the retailer should rarely be to resolve the issue or at least it might be better if you think that resolving the matter on a first call is a rare occurrence so that it's a bonus if you do.
The first call to a retail 'should' (forgive the 'should') be to assess what the response of the retailer is. Remember that a guarantee only exists when human being interpret it. Whatever you and the retailer's expectations of the guarantee are, they only really exist when implemented. So, the first call 'should' be exploratory. Ask what the retailer will do and what they expect the next course of action is. Use "If" statements - "if you do this or if I do that can I or can you". Make it clear you're give finding out what happens before making any decisions. You do this for two reasons, firstly, the retailer will generally feel they know more than you (and they probably do) so the first call is really to hopefully level the playing field, so that you have as much information as the retailer. The second reason is that on a first call you'll generally have little idea of where to "push' - from the retailer end there's usually a person in a call centre who will have a set of rules they have to follow, often by prompt screens. Some of the rules at the company end will be non negotiable, some will be more flexible.
After you've had the first call, tell the retailer you'll think about things and would it be ok to call back with more questions. If you have a good call with someone from the company ask if you can speak to them again. In any case, always take the name of the person you speak to and always use their name when you speak to them. When you call again, don't say "I spoke to customer service" - say "I spoke to (person's name)" - Someone once said that call centres can be the "dark satanic mills" of the 21st Century so connecting with people in a call centre can brighten their day and yours.

My Better Outcome
When I first rang John Lewis I asked what could happen and was told what the guarantee was based on and how it normally worked. I went away and came back and said to them that the TV I wanted was seventy pound more expensive than the one they were offering. I said that I appreciated that they were offering a very nice TV but as a person on a low income (I am on ill health benefits) would they consider letting me have the slightly higher cost TV.
They said that they would (thank you very much John Lewis). As it happens, money was so tight that I took the money and then two months later bought a Panasonic 58 inch tv gx800 - again from John lewis.

Possible reasons for difference
Let's not rule out luck, maybe I was just lucky.
However, I think that one thing that comes across from the above example is I think iybyisul very reasonably reacted to the information given and reacted accordingly. John Lewis for their part thought that they had stated a position and felt they had to stick to it.
What the agent at John Lewis could have done better is read their own company information about their guarantee. Strictly speaking, it's not that "technology moves on" but that the current crop of TVs at that level happen to be cheaper than they were when iybyisul bought the set. Put another way, if iybyisul equivalent set now was ten times as expensive, John Lewis would have had to replace the set regardless that it was ten times more expensive.
It is a subtle difference and I don't blame iybyisul for initially feeling miffed that their eleven hundred turned into less than seven hundred.
So, on this point , John Lewis could have done better.
In terms of process if the negotiation had been more exploratory at first I'd like to think that John Lewis would have been a little more flexible. Things change, so maybe agents no longer have the ability to ask their supervisor for a slightly expensive set (as mine did). I can't help feeling however, that in iybyisul's case, once the cycle of perceived information was set, that it became all but impossible for John Lewis to show flexibility.

Final Point
In the past year or so John Lewis dropped their price guarantee. Since the internet and online store, the high street has found itself with dramatically lower margins, higher costs and increased competition. The guarantee that John Lewis offers is, in many cases, well beyond what anyone else offers and I'd bet loses them money in many cases. However, when I can buy an electrical item from John Lewis I always do so - that guarantee is awesome.
What I think was lost in the above example was that iybyisul is a John Lewis customer - not someone to be combatted with but someone who'd engaged with the retailer. With a little more communication I'd like to think that the outcome and the process could have been different. After all, if iybyisul had been better told that the TV would be the same generation replacement that could have transformed the situation.
I do think John Lewis or at least the agent and possibly the agent's supervisor were too stuck in thinking they had given a position and didn't want to be seen as 'backing down.' I also can't help but thinking that iybyisul reacted reasonably to the information but once the information was seen as 'set' by John Lewis - that the attempt to change it was seen as 'not listening' to the information. I think that increased the tension on the calls and could have been de-escalated.
At the end of the day John Lewis want happy paying customers and we want to buy in a friendly and enjoyable manner. The guarantee is another way of cementing that relationship - if it turns into a battle then it kinda defeats part of its point.
I'm glad that this had a happy outcome but just wanted to leave a few thoughts because as iybyisul notes, it could have gone better.
Happy days everyone
Thanks for your extensive post. Its appreciated. Life's a journey and am always happy to learn from others. I am certainly not offended.

Much of what you raise I did employ.

Firstly I made it clear that my loyalty could be kept if they were more reasonable. Ie they replaced like for like... 4 hdmi..Full array etc.
JL became entrenched from the get go. However I tried to approach/ present my case they resisted.

I'm reasonably happy with the outcome,

I wouldn't accept that personally, I'd say I want an equivalent FALD set or the money to be able to purchase one minus the cost of the JL extended guarantee, because I bet you paid over £1000 for your 55XE9005.

The cheapest FALD LCD in John Lewis is the Samsung 55Q80B at £899, the 2022 equivalent of your TV is the Sony 55X90K at £999 so I'd be wanting at minimum £899 minus the price of the extended guarantee, or did you not purchase that and its the built-in 5YG?

There will be a huge difference between what you have and the BU model or even the Sony X85/89K due to the backlight and brightness difference. Maybe you have to accept it but I would try again citing what others have said about the HDMI port count and tuner on the offered models, but mostly talk about the spec of the TV, with regards to brightness and dimming capability.

I physically can’t plug in all my devices/aerial has worked in the past for other people on the forums. I agree you should be able to say about fald etc but not everybody including JL staff know that. What was their response to you can’t plug all your devices in?

I physically can’t plug in all my devices/aerial has worked in the past for other people on the forums. I agree you should be able to say about fald etc but not everybody including JL staff know that. What was their response to you can’t plug all your devices in?
They wouldn't entertain it...they were steadfast and entrenched from the get go. I offered to accept their cheapest sony 55" TV, which had 4 hdmi at £750 ie a £100 increase. It wasnt the same spec in other areas though. They were not entertaining any of it, even when I stated that this small increase( less than £100 to them) would assure my loyalty to JL. This later point kind of boxed me into a corner tbh. A mistake I made was over playing my JL loyalty card.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I wouldn't accept that personally, I'd say I want an equivalent FALD set or the money to be able to purchase one minus the cost of the JL extended guarantee, because I bet you paid over £1000 for your 55XE9005.

The cheapest FALD LCD in John Lewis is the Samsung 55Q80B at £899, the 2022 equivalent of your TV is the Sony 55X90K at £999 so I'd be wanting at minimum £899 minus the price of the extended guarantee, or did you not purchase that and its the built-in 5YG?

There will be a huge difference between what you have and the BU model or even the Sony X85/89K due to the backlight and brightness difference. Maybe you have to accept it but I would try again citing what others have said about the HDMI port count and tuner on the offered models, but mostly talk about the spec of the TV, with regards to brightness and dimming capability.
I agree.
But they truly would not budge. I asked for a little management review. Even that failed.
I might in time raise a protest. Equally and by my own admission I'm a little weary from " fighting" so might rest.

I've actually sold the JL vouchers to a prominent member on here

Obviously I took a £ hit, but its served another member well 👍🏻and permits me to engage with another retailer and reflect over time about the merits of JL customer service.
Thanks to each and every contributor, truly valued.
J

Last edited:
Fair enough but I would have made an official complaint (should probably still do). Is JL Customer Service still 3rd party or did they bring it back in-house?

If they have breached their own T&C (they offered you a model that was clearly not equivalent) you have a case you could pursue but I appreciate that is hassle for you if you don't have the time\patience to do so.

I'm guessing JL policy has changed sine I last made a claim back in 2020. Nearly 4 year old LG E6 OLED had a fault which was not repairable.
They agreed on a settlement which was a replacement set (Panasonic HZ2000) or the cash value of that set. I was really chuffed as it was only a little less than I had paid for the LG and I was expecting them to offer me a percentage based on the age of the Tv.

I'm guessing JL policy has changed sine I last made a claim back in 2020. Nearly 4 year old LG E6 OLED had a fault which was not repairable.
They agreed on a settlement which was a replacement set (Panasonic HZ2000) or the cash value of that set. I was really chuffed as it was only a little less than I had paid for the LG and I was expecting them to offer me a percentage based on the age of the Tv.
I sense from the myriad of responses that JL perhaps have changed their position around such matters. As we know they've dropped their price matching service, perhaps corporate strategies have been hardened?
Glad you had a good result.👍

I had a similar result 3 years ago just about got the full value back on a 4.5 years old LG oled but times have changed now

I sense from the myriad of responses that JL perhaps have changed their position around such matters.

They can't retrospectively change it for you to a worse position. The T&Cs at the time you bought it are applicable (which is why on insurance policy documents they have applicable dates).

You bought something on the basis of a warranty and that would be covered by the Consumer Rights Act and the description of the goods involved.

If you wanted to pursue it then as mentioned earlier you probably could do, but is it worth the effort. Maybe a strongly worded letter through resolver.co.uk might be an approach to see if you get anywhere.

They can't retrospectively change it for you to a worse position. The T&Cs at the time you bought it are applicable (which is why on insurance policy documents they have applicable dates).

You bought something on the basis of a warranty and that would be covered by the Consumer Rights Act and the description of the goods involved.

If you wanted to pursue it then as mentioned earlier you probably could do, but is it worth the effort. Maybe a strongly worded letter through resolver.co.uk might be an approach to see if you get anywhere.
Too late, he has already accepted a settlement.

I appreciate the continued inputs.
I think in time I will write to JL but more so on the basis of " continuous customer satisfaction " or "even better if..." rather than an out and out protest.
As pointed out above I have effectively settled ' out of court' so to speak.
Equally I have voted with my feet in not considering purchasing from JL again.
It might bring me a good will gesture from JL, it might not?

As a thought..I wonder if JL and other retailers monitor these forums.
It struck me that if they did, I may well have revealed my ' hand' and that's why theyve played hard ball or am I heading into dangerous conspiracy theory territory?

As a thought..I wonder if JL and other retailers monitor these forums.
It struck me that if they did, I may well have revealed my ' hand' and that's why theyve played hard ball or am I heading into dangerous conspiracy theory territory?

Plot twist: EVERYONE in this thread, including me but except you, works for JL. The conspiracy knows no bounds.

Jokes aside have you received the voucher/bought something else yet?

Plot twist: EVERYONE in this thread, including me but except you, works for JL. The conspiracy knows no bounds.

Jokes aside have you received the voucher/bought something else yet?
😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Yes voucher received...and sold on here to another member..
Releases me to buy a new TV not from.JL...
Still hunting....part of the fun..

Now...about that flat earth?....😉

Go through to customer services. They offered me £1500 for my faulty LG C1 Oled. I cant even get an equivalent TV for that and refused. They backed down in the end and are replacing it with the C3 model. So they should. It like for like

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom