faulty toshiba 220 DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pizzed-monkey, Aug 20, 2002.

1. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    ......I've only had this player 5 days and i thought everything was going a little too well!:(

........it seems to of developed a strange problem, when there is a large change in contrast in a film the picture jerks around like a fool.

for example: two people are talking, one is infront of a dark background, one is standing in front of a large, over exposed window, --- when the film cuts between the two the picture quickly jerks as if being in FF on a VHS machine, before settleing down.

......I had only noticed this once or twice when there was a large explosion or something, but then I watched "Requiem for a Dream" last night ---- Jeeez!!!!! it made the film UNWATCHABLE, it was really bad......all those quick, light/dark cuts became a mess.....

.....now, just to check, tonight I will try the same DVD's with a different TV and different scart cable, but I'm pretty sure the problem is the player beacuse the 220 has simlpy replaced my wharfedale "2 years, not a single problem" 750.

has anyone heard of a fault like this before? Before I take it back to richersounds and demand a new unit I was wondering if this could have anything to do with heat? :confused:

at the moment the player sits about 5cm above my Marantz AV amp, after playing last night both amp and 220 were super hot, would this cause such a problem? I read that players can lock up through heat, but haven't heard of picture distortion.........

:( :(

pizzed-monkey

2. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :( :( :( :(

.....new unit, - same problem!

the problem again:
    when the picture quickly cuts from dark to light the images jump BADLY, before settling.

does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I have tried a different scart cable and making the player output in video instead of RGB, but nothing changes.

I haven't been able to try a different TV yet, could the high contrast output of the DVD player be too much for my TV?

AHHHHHG!

:confused: :confused:

pizzed-monkey

......BTW: heat is not an issue, I did a cold test with the new player.

3. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ....I seemed to of solved this problem......erm......

....dont know why I didn't do this before (well my name is pizzed-monkey), took DVD player out of RGB scart, put in normal scart. No problem. not even a flicker.

.....so its something to do with my RGB scart socket on my TV.

how annoyed am I now?:mad: ......takin' the player back for no reason......DOH!

......nowe to sort out the TV issue!:(

a pizzed pizzed-monkey