1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Tosh XS32 ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robbie b, Dec 6, 2004.

1. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I've had by XS32 for about 6 weeks and like most people I have been very impressed. I've just about got to grips with all the features (mostly through trial & error) but I have noticed a couple of problems and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

During playback I have noticed a horizontal band about an inch thick and about 2/3 up the screen from the bottom which scrolls from right to left. It is very faint and depends on what is being played as to whether it can be seen at all or how clear it is (i.e. visible in dark scenes and not in light scenes). It is very difficult to tell what it is, sometimes it just looks like shapes other times I'm sure I can see letters. It is almost like a smoky type of effect (very difficult to describe - as you can probably tell) I first noticed it when playing back an original R2 disk which was rented, so I put in down to a faulty disk. recently I have noticed it when viewing stuff I have recorded onto the HDD from SKY, so the problem must be the Tosh. Has anyone every heard of such a fault ?

I've also noticed 'pauses' during R1 playback - similar to a layer change but happening half a dozen times per movie.

I purchased from RGB so will give them a call but if anyone has any more info on my 'weird' fault it would be appreciated. many thanks

2. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "band" sounds like video crosstalk: if it's connected to a TV using a SCART cable then both the DVD recorder and the TV will output a picture. These two pictures are on different wires within the SCART cable. However the wires are parallel so one set can "pick up" a kind of ghost image from the other set. I've seen this problem more than once. I would suggest that you disconnect the relevant wires (see the DVD recorder manual for the pinout) or buy a one-way SCART lead if you can find one.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    As gpward says the best way to avoid this is to stick with good quality scart leads.

In the meantime it may be worth checking whether the settings for the television AV connection can be changed.
    Sometimes there is a choice of what the TV sends back down the scart and if this can be changed to "monitor" instead of "tv tuner" the same picture will be going in both directions on the lead. This should drastically reduce the effects of crosstalk.

4. Roachman

Roachman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I too had pauses when playing back any dvd's plus diagonal banding when the tosh was switched on and I was watching ITV and channel4.
    I also bought mine from RGB (is yours multi-region too ?) and they replaced it with a new unit.
    The pauses have now disappeared but the banding remains :(

5. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your quick response. I've just spent an hour staring at the screen to try & determine exactly what I am seeing - I'm pretty sure that within the horizontal 'band' it is a series of black & white vertical lines. Does this sound like 'crosstalk'.

I have a good quality scart connecting the dvdr to tv (profigold, I purchased it when I bought the tosh - cost me £40)...but come to think of it the scart connecting the sky to dvdr is about 5years old and came free with my original dvd player and the one from sky to tv is a 99p job. I think I'll invest in some new cables!!

Thanks

6. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought mine from RGB about 3 months back the ghosting sounds familier although Ive not had any problems with the playback and pausing.... is this too much of a coincidence or what regarding all for RGB, I had my tosh plugged into a 3 in one scart block, I still get a slight ghosting after using a more expensive model, but not nearly as bad as it was.

7. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does. I suggest that you need SCART leads which have good shielding and/or only have "one way" connections. By "one way" I mean that the cables should only have wire connections running from the "source" device (eg: your DVD recorder) to the "destination" device (eg: your TV). If you want to modify "two way" SCART cables then disconnect the wires carrying signals back from "destination" to "source". And disconnect them at the "desination" end.

8. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ordered the Tosh xs32 today from RGB (Panic) the sales man couldn’t stress strong enough the importance of using good quality gold scart leads, and tried to sell me some, I thought it was just a sale he was looking, but this thread has got me wondering have they been receiving complaints on this ghosting with regards to the xs32,

9. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Toshiba for a couple of months.

When I purchased mine, the salesman also tried to get me to spend big bucks to buy the expensie gold Scart connectors but I resisted his talk and purchased cheaper ones. These have worked perfectly.

10. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roachman - Yes it is multi-region, R2 playback is fine just R1 disks that are 'pausing'. I too get diagonal banding but I only notice it when the menu screen is on SKY, so is not really a problem. I have it on terrestial aswell but I had this problem before I got the Tosh.

I've also noticed that it is not just in playback that I can see the 'banding', it is there even when watching tv through the Tosh.

I think I'll get some better quality cables and try and watch another R1 disk to see if it does it again before I try and return the unit.

Thanks for everyones help.

11. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have uhf tv antenna pluged in , if so try taking it out see if this helps, worked for me once with my Toshiba video,

12. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I too have noticed this problem - the scrolling band and also some picture crosstalk. My system is set-up as follows:

Sky box into the RGB scart of the XS32 (AV2)
    Tosh TV (Integrated Freeview) into the non-RGB scart of XS32 (AV1)
    XS32 connected via component into Tosh TV.
    No RF connected to or from the XS32 (to eliminate the RF intereference on other TV's in the house).

Now, if I watch TV/recordings with the TV on AV2 I can see a ghost image of whatever my integrated freeview channel is set too. IE freeview channel is BBC1, but have TV set to AV2 and am watching, say, Sky One, then I can see a ghost image of BBC1. Now this doesn't bother me at all, as I watch my XS32 on TV AV4 (component). I purely have the intregrated freeview attached to the XS32 so I can record from freeview if I'm watching on Sky. The recordings don't have this ghost image.

But I have noticed this scrolling band that was mentioned in the first post. This was what originally prompted me to find a more streamlined way of connecting my set-up. I removed all the RF inputs/outputs and disconnected the Freeview connection into AV1 scart on the XS32.

Basically, I had the cable from the Sky dish into the sky box. Then I had a QED Sqart from the Sky box to the XS32. Then IXOS component cables into my TV. The scrolling bar still happened. But it doesn't seem to be on every recording - or maybe it is, but it only shows up under certain conditions, like flat backgrounds, mistsy scenes. I know find myself looking for this bar whenever I'm watching a recording :)

After seeing how much RF interference the XS32 generates it wouldn't surprise me if this was an XS32 problem.

Matthew

13. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also get this type of interference , however i tend to watch through component which eliminates this completely.

14. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Roachman

The diagonal banding that remains on your machine is RF interference coming from the Tosh. Mine does it as well, as does many others (there is a huge XS32 review thread where this is mentioned by several people).But the scrolling band is a different problem, which I think is generated by the Tosh.

F G Evans

Certainly, I've found that by watching through the component eliminates the ghost image from the freeview box, but I still get the scrolling band - which seems to be a seperate problem - even when watching through component.