Faulty Tosh RD-XS34. My rights?

aka_Gilo

Standard Member
Reaction score
In October last year I bought a Toshiba RD-XS34 online from a well known catalogue and net retailer (no names at this point!). Almost from day one it would freeze with no warning (requiring the on/off button to be held down to power it off), during playback, after recording etc. I phoned Toshiba and arranged for it to go back to be looked at. While they had it I spoke to the engineer working on it who could find nothing wrong with it. He replaced the dvd drive and updated the firmware in the hope that that would fix it.

Since I had it back (end of November) it has carried on the same - works perfectly for weeks at a time then freezes with no warning, sometimes twice in an hour or two. When it failed to respond to a timer recording at the weekend and froze again I decided enough was enough - I'd tried to live with it (and 98% of the time when it's working as it should I love it - great machine) but now have to sort out a replacement.

I called the retailer I bought it from and was told to return it to Toshiba but I explained the situation and that I'd already done this but they could find nothing wrong. I was then told "After Sales" would call me to discuss. No call so phoned again and had identical conversation. Got home tonight to find they tried calling me while I was cycling home, had left a voicemail saying I would need to return the machine to Toshiba again.

Now given that Toshiba could not find a fault last time there is no reason that they would if sent back to them again, so I don't see why I should waste my time doing so.

I want an exchange (XS34 discontinued, but they have The XS24 in stock which looks almost identical) or refund as the machine is clearly "not fit for the purpose..etc". Am I within my rights to demand this and has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks

aka_Gilo said:
In October last year I bought a Toshiba RD-XS34 online from a well known catalogue and net retailer (no names at this point!). Almost from day one it would freeze with no warning (requiring the on/off button to be held down to power it off), during playback, after recording etc. I phoned Toshiba and arranged for it to go back to be looked at. While they had it I spoke to the engineer working on it who could find nothing wrong with it. He replaced the dvd drive and updated the firmware in the hope that that would fix it.

Since I had it back (end of November) it has carried on the same - works perfectly for weeks at a time then freezes with no warning, sometimes twice in an hour or two. When it failed to respond to a timer recording at the weekend and froze again I decided enough was enough - I'd tried to live with it (and 98% of the time when it's working as it should I love it - great machine) but now have to sort out a replacement.

I called the retailer I bought it from and was told to return it to Toshiba but I explained the situation and that I'd already done this but they could find nothing wrong. I was then told "After Sales" would call me to discuss. No call so phoned again and had identical conversation. Got home tonight to find they tried calling me while I was cycling home, had left a voicemail saying I would need to return the machine to Toshiba again.

I don't understand why when the original fault appeared you called Toshiba...your contract is with the retailer you bought it from...it is up to them to arrange repair or replacement not Toshiba.
You have given them a get-out clause by dealing with Toshiba directly...when you should have left them to do it...they are responsible not Toshiba.

Hi, This is the first time I've ever posted in a forum, so I hope it works !!

I think this is a UK forum, so as I do in the UK, phone Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06, it is funded by the DTI, they are very helpful, and seem to know everything! They can email you template letters to fill in to send to people giving you grief!! They also have a website www.consumerdirect.gov.uk , but I haven't used that as chating to them on the phone is easier for me.

Hope that helps - good luck.

Jaycee - fair point, however I'd heard of a fair few people (on this forum) who'd dealt directly with Toshiba in this way and received a good service, hence I wasn't too worried about doing likewise.

Speedee - a very educational first post - cheers!!:thumbsup:

Gave them a call, extremely helpful, advised me to contact the retailer in writing and gave me an idea of what to put in the letter. Very good organisation, will use them again if I get any problems with any other goods in future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom