Faulty Subwoofer / incompetent install?

thump3s

Standard Member
Hi All,
I have just purchased an Onkyo 609 amp and a set of Q Acoustics Q7000s.

All is good apart from the subwoofer. It seems to be acting strange every so often it will make such a noise that my wife thinks someone is banging the wall down.

I had it connected via a subwoofer cable to the subwoofer output on the amp to the L/LFE input on the amp. To be honest it wasn't really making any noise when connected even with an action scene.

The settings on the amp are low sensitivity, phase 180, crossover av, level about 1/4.

I've read elsewhere that the amp should be connected to the pre-out on the amp but this made no difference.

I've just tried a different cable but this made no difference. I have also just plugged the subwoofer in without any connection to the amp and it started to make a strange noise again.

Is it faulty or am I missing something?

StruckKarma

Standard Member
I can only suggest you set to 'high sensitivity' as from experience if the light is amber on the sub and you get some action the sub will turn on and maybe a thud will sound, I would set volume on the actual sub to about 10 o'clock and run another mic set up on the onkyo and re evaluate.

good luck

AndyCob

Hang on you have a few references to what is connected to what that don't make sense.

Quote:
I had it connected via a subwoofer cable to the subwoofer output on the amp to the L/LFE input on the amp.
&
I've read elsewhere that the amp should be connected to the pre-out on the amp but this made no difference.

Reading that you have the amp connected to the amp and not connected to the woofer at all. I'm obviously assuming a simple typo but what is this subwoffer out you mention? usually the subwoofer out is the subwoofer pre-out there isn't another so what is the other thing you connected to, you may have damaged something.

It is definitely normal that the subwoofer is connected to the amp's subwoofer pre-out for an active sub. If you have connected it to anything else you may have blown or damaged it. Typically the amp subwoofer preout is connected to the active subs input (if it has two, a left and a right, then usually it seems to be left on most manufacturers, refer to manual).

thump3s

Standard Member
Thanks guys, will try your advice tonight Karma.

Andy - this is a link to a page on the Onkyo website that has a photo of the back of the amp:
Onkyo | TX-NR609

I had the cable running from the amp output marked sub-woofer to the subwoofer L/LFE input initially, then when trying to sort the problem tried switching to the amp output marked pre out (just below the sub-woofer output).

What do you think?

larkone

Distinguished Member
The sub pre outs are both the same - your manual tells you that. do as StruckKarma suggests but read the instructions in the manuals and then if it still doesn't work as expected report back as to how the sub has been configured by Audyssey. There is a section on using a powered sub.

Last edited:

thump3s

Standard Member
Thanks guys, i got round to setting up as karma suggested this morning and all seems well. Tested with a film on sky and it sounded awesome.

Cheers all have a good Christmas

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom