1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Sky+ - shall I change hard drive?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cynthia 7, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help, I am missing all my favourite programmes on my favourite tv!

Whilst downloading a programme from the Sky+ Planner to a VCR (previously always successfully) I had to switch the box and tv off at the mains several times. I also changed the various cables as I had not connected the vcr for a while. Now the Pace V2 doesn't work anymore; I can bring up Services but there is a permanent "satellite signal not received" and Sky think the hard drive is faulty, and I would need an engineer, which means a refurbished box. I have now removed the vcr from the set up, and restored the cables as previously, firmly in place. Sky talked me through the Full System Reset. No luck. The box is the 3100 model, about two years old and previously o.k.

What I need to know is this. Is it worth replacing the hard drive, perhaps upgrading it to a 120Gb or is it likely that the box has fried and other components are also damaged? The Sky digibox upstairs still has perfect Sky and all the programmes, but I can't spend forever lying on the bed watching tv - not a bad option! Sky say they cannot promise which new box I would receive so I will buy one elsewhere if the hard drive replacement is not a good idea. Please give me your opinions.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Take a look at the page which gives signal strengths (I think it's in the services menu).

Make a note of the readings. If both LNB1 and LNB2 are showing no readings, it's probably not the hard drive. More likely to be the power supply.

If just LNB2 is zero, and LNB1 is OK, swap the LNB1 and LNB2 cables. If LNB2 is still zero after doing that, it could well be the hard drive.

A 160-200GB drive will cost you about £60, and may not cure the problem. A brand new box will cost £160, and definitely will. It's your choice.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

I do appreciate your quick reply. I have been grinding my teeth non-stop since Sunday wondering what to do. My husband leaves these things to me unless it turns out to be mega expensive.

The signal strength page shows the following:

Input 1 Signal Strength blank
    Input 1 Signal Quality blank
    Input 1 Lock Indicator Not locked
    Input Network ID 0 0 0 0
    Input 1 Transport Stream 0 0 0 0

Input 2 Signal Strength blank
    Input 2 Signal Quality blank
    Input 2 Lock Indicator Not locked

Input 2 (in the bedroom) shows reasonable signal and quality strength; I've just checked and it's about 60% signal and 40% quality (possibly because of too many trees) but nevertheless shows a good picture without any break up and is normally like this. Downstairs is usually about 80 - 90% signal and 60 - 70% quality when the box is functioning. I don't understand what transport stream, network or locked mean.

From what you say, it could be the power supply. Although I was half hoping it would be the hard drive but I see it's not worth risking changing that now. It looks like it will be a new box now instead. The Sky+ 160 doesn't have a great reputation so I shall stick to the Pace2 again. Even if it only lasts two years, the entertainment that Sky+ affords is worth every penny.

Many thanks for your help, I shall now sleep tonight!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You've got nothing to lose, you could try a forced software update. The software may have got corrupted. Switch the power off, press and hold down the backup button on the front of the box, and still holding the button, re-apply the power. Keep the button depressed until you see an on-screen message. The software update should take 10 minutes - no more than 15. Hope it works :)

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Nick. I did try the forced software update and I got the message on the screen. Also the box went into standby after about twenty minutes. I was hopeful but the Pace still didn't work.

What shall I do with my old box, bin it?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Definitely not ! Sell it on Ebay as faulty. I don't know if you're aware, but Satcure do lots of spare parts for Sky boxes, including power supplies.

7. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you give up - just try your upstairs box downstairs to confirm that the cables that are going downstairs aren't the cause... If a cat decided to eat them or something?! in the middle of your playing back a recording I suppose it could cause the symptoms you decribe. You'll probably find it works fine, but just an idea before you bite the bullet.

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,
    Thank you for the further info. I didn't know that Satcure did spare parts for Sky boxes, worth bearing in mind if this happens again. Never used Ebay, I can't think it would be worth selling if faulty.

Boy Lex.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, or fortunately!, I have ordered a new Sky+ box and it's coming from Simply Digital tomorrow. It did cross my mind to swap boxes and try that but it hadn't occurred to me that it could be the cables that are going downstairs. Yes, we do have a cat, a 14 year old big ginger one, but he's fussy about his food! On the other hand we did have to have the rat man in last winter as they were living under the house, and once before bit through the water main pipe, which is plastic nowadays. My fault as I feed the birds every day of the year. Pity I hadn't tried the swop over, I might have saved £160!

9. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have a sony sky box and have had to switch it on and off at the wall a few times over the week and the signal said Input Network ID 0 0 0 0
    Transport Stream 0 0 0 0

maybe its a sky thing ??