Faulty SAMSUNG Q80T HDMI 2.1 Blank Screen Fiasco / Samsung REFUSING replacement or refund what should I do?!

AnorakPC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this and I'm not someone who usually turns to forums for answers to my problems but I'm really at a loss with this one and have received the worst customer service in all my life so bad that I will never buy a Samsung product ever again! So here's what's happened.. (Apologies for the wall of text but its been an "eventful experience")

I bought a Samsung Q80T in September off the back of watching a favourable review from Vincent at HDTV Test and the main selling point being HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz support as I had planned to pick up an RTX 3080 along with it (which was a fiasco within itself as we all know..) the TV arrived but I only had a 5700XT at the time but I tested it anyway on port 4 with input plus enabled nothing happened just a blank screen saying no input detected so I thought fair enough the card doesn't support HDMI 2.1 so I guess I'll have to wait.. months pass.

Come December I finally get a 30 series card I settle for a 3070.. slotted it into my rig and same issue? Okay lets see maybe conflicting old AMD drivers is causing it? Reinstall windows.. same issue Okay maybe its my cable it's 8K ready but maybe it's bad so I ordered another more expensive HDMI 2.1 cable just to make sure, same issue!

A week passes of trouble shooting where I discover HDMI 3 (ARC) was capable of hitting 4K 120Hz which looked great! However I have a Samsung soundbar also so this means I cant use both devices at the same time so a far from ideal solution and besides the point I'm still not getting the HDMI 2.1 I bought the TV for.. I then get my hands on a 3080 but same issue I even tried in another PC and still no luck.. Time to contact support maybe they can help? For the sake of keeping this short for you readers I'll try to condense this part but boy was this LONG (2 months to reach the point I'm now at)

After multiple web chats of me having to repeat myself and being told there was no such issue and if I was using the right port HDMI 4 I KNOW! One advisor did a remote repair going through various settings and updating to the latest firmware but to no avail so they arranged a physical inspection and repair for Jan 6th. The guy comes completely clueless barely knowing what HDMI 2.1 even was, fits a new "Main Board" which should resolve any issues they say. NOPE still no picture on port 4 with input plus enabled, he goes away not really knowing what to say and tells me they'd get back to me with what happens next. (This is when the customer service ..or lack of.. gets ridiculous)

I get a call from the Samsung repair shop, guy says "we've had a Q&A back from Samsung and they said have you tried HDMI Port 4?" I burst out laughing saying are you serious!? He continues with other ridiculous suggestions but concludes with okay "well the TV works fine just not with your device" (WOW) "we've done everything we can we'll leave it with Samsung to sort out"

I call Samsung multiple times with some people not even knowing what was going on with my case eventually I get told we haven't received a report from the repair shop to say it needs replacing so we'll send out another repair, the repair shop calls me asking why have they been asked to repair it again I told them because they hadn't sent off a report explaining the situation he reluctantly says "okay we can do that but it wont be until next week now" so I call Samsung the following week to be told I would be contacted by alternative resolutions to arrange a replacement within 48 hrs, 3 days later I call Samsung again and they have no clue what I'm on about no record of the case or anything it was at this point I lost my cool and made a complaint to the supervisor which would just be a further waste of my time..

I FINNALY get through to alternative resolutions after 2 weeks on the Thurs 21st Jan and I'm told sorry I can't help you with this today as I don't have time but I'm back in on Sunday 24th (yesterday) I asked "isn't there someone else that can take over" to which I'm told "no there's not sorry". I'm lost for words at this point and just ask "will you definitely contact me on Sunday?" "Yes" ..No contact until TODAY which is Monday the email I've attached to this post but I'll paste the key section of the response here:

"On the most recent repair suggest that there was no fault found. Due to this, we feel that the unit is working to full specification and everything is working as it should be. As the unit is working to full specification, we are unable to carry out any repairs as there does not appear to be a fault.

Please note that our decision will not look to be overturned and this will be our final stance on the matter. Please be aware that our decision can not be changed and any outcome will remain the same should you wish to contact us. Samsung will not look to reconsider its position nor change its terms and conditions. We value you as a Samsung customer and hope this does not affect you from purchasing Samsung products in the future."

I can provide video evidence of the fault of course if needs be but what should I do now? I've paid £1000 for a TV that marketed HDMI 2.1 as a key feature and the sole reason I bought it and I'm being told that a blank screen is how its suppose to work. Should I pursue consumer rights legal advice? I just want to play games on my TV but instead have spent a 2 months chasing up phone calls just to be told this! DONT BUY SAMSUNG IF YOU WANT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE

PS thanks for taking the time to read this there's more to the story I've had to leave out a lot to be honest but any advice to help me get what I paid for would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• Samsung EMAIL.jpg
    Samsung EMAIL.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 225
Ok ive got the tv and ive not had that issue, i have a friend who has an issue similar but refuses to change the cable.
From what i have read else where and tried i bought certified cables, i didn't buy expensive ones but ones that had been certified. Im assuming yours are?
Is it completely dead when the cable is connected or does it show a grey screen like its trying to do something

Attachments

• HDMI2.jpg
    HDMI2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 195
HDMI port 3 has the second highest bandwidth of All as it supports eARC but I'm not looking for fixes here I've tried everything you can think of and more the TV is 100% faulty but aprantly not "faulty enough" according to Samsung.

I'm looking for legal options and to how make a case against Samsung for the way this has all been handled and to get my money back or at the very least what I paid for.

Does anyone know about this stuff, consumer rights etc?

you have come to a forum that mainly helps people fix issues with their set. Id suggest renaming your post as to something that people could search for easy.
Our first point of call here would always be to troubleshoot.
From what i know of the e-arc aside from your findings is that with q80t its still hdmi 2.0
which means
HDMI 2.0 – This enhancement allows everything that HDMI 1.4 offers, except it offers an increased bandwidth and the ability to present a wider variety of colors. HDMI 2.0 is certified to have a bandwidth of 18 Gigabits per second which supports 4K resolution at 60 FPS (frames per second).

I'm going to call in @dante01

Why is everyone mentioning HDMI port 3? That's not the issue here! I know my post is long as hell but clearly explains that my issue is the HDMI port 4 is broken, once I enable input mode plus the signal is lost no matter what device it's connected too or what cable is used.

The other issue is that Samsungs repair guys lied in their report saying the TV was not faulty when clearly the engineer couldn't get the port to work by any means.

DONT BUY SAMSUNG IF YOU WANT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE

I had my first dealings with Samsung support (for any device) with my 14 day old q80t. Aside from the absurd amount of time it took (with 2 phone calls) wanting to know every single detail about my life lol, I thought their service was excellent.

The onsite techs were also great. Changed the 85 inch screen out in under 30 minutes.

The world is not a perfect place dude. You got unlucky this time round. It happens.

I had my first dealings with Samsung support (for any device) with my 14 day old q80t. Aside from the absurd amount of time it took (with 2 phone calls) wanting to know every single detail about my life lol, I thought their service was excellent.

The onsite techs were also great. Changed the 85 inch screen out in under 30 minutes.

The world is not a perfect place dude. You got unlucky this time round. It happens.
It shouldn't come down to luck he paid for something that hes not getting

HDMI port 3 has the second highest bandwidth of All as it supports eARC but I'm not looking for fixes here I've tried everything you can think of and more the TV is 100% faulty but aprantly not "faulty enough" according to Samsung.

I'm looking for legal options and to how make a case against Samsung for the way this has all been handled and to get my money back or at the very least what I paid for.

Does anyone know about this stuff, consumer rights etc?
You absolutely have strong legal rights here. But your claim is against the seller, not the manufacturer. So you need to inform them of the situation that there is a fault, and hold them accountable for fixing it. Keep it really simple with them, simply tell them that 4K120 does not work in HDMI4. Your legal right allows them the chance to repair it, and if they cannot repair they must refund. If you bought directly from Samsung's website, just make sure you communicate directly with them and not with the TV support part of the company.

If they refuse you can take this claim to your credit card company, and then if you are further stuck you can do a simple Small Claims Court claim. The law is 100% on your side :)

Why is everyone mentioning HDMI port 3? That's not the issue here! I know my post is long as hell but clearly explains that my issue is the HDMI port 4 is broken, once I enable input mode plus the signal is lost no matter what device it's connected too or what cable is used.

The other issue is that Samsungs repair guys lied in their report saying the TV was not faulty when clearly the engineer couldn't get the port to work by any means.

Just to clarify does this happen when any device (e.g. skyq, Blu-ray player, streaming box) is hooked up to hdmi port 4 and you turn on input plus even if you specify a 4k/60 resolution?

Input plus isn't about hdmi 2.1. with it switched off it limits that port to hdmi 1.4b I.e. 4k/60 8bit yuv 4:2:0.

It needs to be on to even display 4k/60 8bit RGB which is a resolution supported under hdmi 2.0b

So for us to help we are trying to ascertain if it is totally broken with input plus switched on for hdmi port 4 or if there is some life in it with a device outputting 4k/60 8bit RGB?

If this is a PC to TV issue (sounds like it, the issue is Windows, NOT the TV. I have a 3090 with Q95T and had the same issue with a blank screen when switching my PC on.

Go here: Enable This Setting to Make Windows 10 Boot Up Faster and turn the fast boot OFF. It solved my issue and hopefully should solve yours.

See this thread, there’s clearly something not quite right with port 4 on these Samsung TVs

I know it’s not my pc or cable as if I connect my pc to my LG C9 in the living room it works flawlessly.

we can only hope these issues are fixed by Samsung with firmware updates

Hi guys sorry been busy with work but thanks for all the responses..

@camelot1971 Just tried that but issue remains.. :(

@Jay53 So no matter what the source is once input plus mode is enabled HDMI 4 goes blank, windows actually makes the sound as if something has been disconnected when I enable it.

@Bluestraw I actually bought it from Very using BNPL I haven't actually got in touch with them as it goes so yes that would seem like my next best option although I'm sure they'll try and send me to Samsung. Thanks for the advice!

Nice utility thanks but not unlocking 4k 120hz cap at 4k 67hz oddly

I was actually referring to his comment re support.

But, has it actually been established that the tv is at fault?
Very the retailer I bought it from approved the return for a full refund thankfully! I wish I went to them in the first place.. and well if a Samsung engineer couldn't get it working then who else can? But the fact that they lied about it is what's appalled me, I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Will never buy a Samsung TV ever again.

Very the retailer I bought it from approved the return for a full refund thankfully! I wish I went to them in the first place.. and well if a Samsung engineer couldn't get it working then who else can? But the fact that they lied about it is what's appalled me, I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Will never buy a Samsung TV ever again.
Glad you got it sorted :)

Your first port of call should always be with the retailer as it is with them that the contract of sale took place and it is for the retailer to sort out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom