1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty REL Strata III mode switch

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chrisgeary, Mar 10, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It works mostly, but occasionally the audio will drop out for a moment. As I am using ABC A1 it kind of manifests itself as a very deep and slight thud emitted from the sub. I have been in touch with REL who seem reluctant to allow me to buy the part so I can fit it myself. It looks to be a simple soldering job and I don't really want to pay for the privilege of having my Strata shipped and repaired when I'm fairly sure I can do the job myself.

Anyone have any advice? Perhaps another way around the slightly dodgy connection on the switch?

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I't slikely a standard part, so you should be able to obtain a suitable switch from RS or Farnell - but you'll have to work out which ones will fit!

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    REL's response is probably the safe one.

Their public liability and professional manufacturer's profile is at risk if you mess it up and die in the ensuing conflagration. Or even give your entire family a lethal shock.

They have no way of judging your competence with a soldering iron from that distance. Even if you tell them you are an electronics engineer you could be a poor worker with a soldering iron or simply lying about your skills and qualifications.

I hope you can see their point of view.

Good luck

Nimby :)