1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty player or AV Amp!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cygnusx1, Jun 6, 2005.

1. cygnusx1

cygnusx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a pioneer dv-656a connected to a Denon avr-1905. The connection to the av is a coax digital cable. When playing retail dvd's(i have no other type) the sound goes wierd, you can hear the ambient/background noise fine but the spoken sound goes completly or becomes crackly. This does not happen all the time,or in the same place if you replay the dvd. I could use some help as to where the problem may lie.

Thanks

cynusx1 :lease:

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The signal from the player is not split between channels until it gets to the amp. Problems with speech suggests an issue with the centre channel and assuming you are using a center, I would be looking at the amp as the culprit. However it could be poor mechanical connection of speaker cable or something simple to correct by a dealer.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Based on the description I tend to agree that the amp or the speaker (or the connection between the two) is at fault.

4. cygnusx1

cygnusx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner & Cable Monkey. I have checked the center speaker cables at both ends. The connections to the center were a bit loose so have tightened. Will see what happens . The speakers are JBL SCS-178, do you know of a common problem with the center of this model?

If the problem still exists, how can I isolate where the fault lies? I bought the amp and the speakers from a internet store so cannot go to the dealer.

cygnusx1

5. Moonsoon

Moonsoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd bet my money on the speaker or faulty soldering in the electric pathway of the signal.

If tightening the cable connections does not yield a result, try putting it into another speaker position that worked properly, i.e. left surround and see remains or is gone.

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Yes, as said, just swap one working channel with the faulty one and see which if either is going. If the speaker that was working then cuts out it's the amps center feed.