Faulty player - can you help ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Skanky, Apr 10, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds like a genuine answer.
    Even if it wasn't the laser, any non uk parts could be hard to source, ie expensive. So knowing the cost of a replacement player would be advisable.
    I doubt if I'd even send it in for repair. If you want CD, then a standalone cd player, if poss, might be a better option.

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full agreement here, unless you pay silly money you'll find that a dedicated stand alone CD player will produce far better audio than that from a DVD player. Plus you'll get more life out of your DVD.

Jay

3. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a US Pioneer 414 DVD player, converted for muti-region, Approximately 20 months old. Recently the player as been having difficulties reading CD's (no problem with DVD's).

When I insert a CD you can hear it spinning & spinning & spinning, eventually it just spits the CD back out. After a number of attempts it finally recognises it, and 'CD' appears in the display window, however to then get it to play I have to input a track number, if I hit play it just starts spinning again.

I mailed Tectronics (the company I bought it from) who replied saying that this is the first sign that the laser was on its way out, and due to the model being discontinued parts would be hard to come by / expensive. They would be happy to do the work but suggested that it would probably be cheaper to buy a new player.

As anybody had a similar experience with their player / is there a cheap way to remedy the problem ?

Are Tectronics correct in their diagnosis, or are they just fobbing me off ?

I would much appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Disagree - a bit, if the laser is on it's way out it will sooner or later as well affect the DVD replay, hence you either buy a CDP now and a new DVD when it finally breaks down or you buy now a new DVD with decent CD replay to replace the existing unit.

But before that I would get the lense(s) cleaned, perhaps that could solve the problem.