1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty player any ideas

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mezz, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok my parents have a sony DVD player with surround sound :smashin: , but whenever we watch a dvd on it about an hor in the picture frezzes and does not move, it then tries to move but we end up with half a pictue of one scene and then half of another, the player then goes back to the screensaver picture, now when this happened we turned of the player and put it back on again but this never helps as it froze again, can you guys help any ideas, my parents want it fixed as they can only use the surround sound with this player.

2. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doe's it do this with retail dvds , or just with backups ?, are the dvds clean ? have you tired the dvd's with the problem in another machine ?

3. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are retail DVDs and they work fine on mine and my sisters player

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    What model is it? It sounds like the laser pickup problem Sony had a few years back. Mine, a 536 died after 15 months of intensive use and cost £110 to get fixed. Improving ventillation around the player can delay the onset of the problem but it seems to me that generation of Sony's always succumbed in the end.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds like it's sticking at the layer change.

As above, a faulty lase unit or it could be faulty servos that control the laser.

Either is going to cost.

Possibly time to look at a replacement unless you can find a no fix no fee repairers.

Hughes in Ipswich do a £30 deposit, and if beyond economical repair will let you put that £30 towards a new player from one of their shops, for example. Obviously you need to live in East Anglia though.