1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Philips DVDR75

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HD_King, Nov 16, 2004.

1. HD_King

HD_King
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned a Philips DVDR75 DVD Recorder since December last year and have noticed a problem with video output from it. The video goes choppy and kind of "interlaced" looking when there is rapid movement on the screen. The problem has occurred since I first used it, but didn't take much notice as it was on a CRT TV. Now I own a LCD HDTV and it is very noticeable.

I have attached 3 images showing the same scene in different ways - IMG 1 shows how moving video looks when going DIRECT to the TV (taking into account a little blur due to the nature of LCD); IMG 2 shows PAUSED video from a recording made to a DVD+RW (the paused video is coming from the DVD recorder) and IMG 3 shows what happens when watching live video through my DVD Recorder. I also have the latest firmware.

Would anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this problem? Is it faulty or doesn't it have enough processing power for rapid movement in digital video? I will appreciate any insight into this.

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

Which quality recording mode are you using? You will probably notice that higher quality modes will produce better results.
    On the older Philips machines, you could activate a `sports` mode, which would allow for a different processing for rapid movements on screen, not sure if the 75 has the same feature or not?
    Failing these, you could always phone Philips and ask them.

Good luck

3. HD_King

HD_King
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am using M2 recording mode (M1 is the best, then M2, M2X, M4 and M6). Would having the DVD Recorder set on M2 when just viewing video through the DVD recorder (not playing/recording a DVD) have an effect? I don't think the DVDR75 has a Sports mode etc. as nothing is mentioned in the manual.

I was hoping to email them the photos to show the problem I'm having but they only have a useless "online" form you can fill out. I may have to resort to ringing them.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Without being wanting to be difficult your never going to find the results of a Philips DVDR particularly impressive on a high resolution screen - realistically it's a budget recorder so you can't really expect too much.

Still you can do a few things to ensure you get the best possible out of it:
    - Ensure you are using good quality Scart cables. Don't overdo it - QED offer a good price/quality compromise IMHO at around £50 each. These will make a substantial difference.
    - When not recording put your unit into standby so the DVDR so it doesn't re-encode what your watching. If your using it as a tuner buy a seperate Freeview box!
    - Try as use M1 (1hr per disk) mode for all your recordings. If you play around with your screens settings you can compensate for the colour imbalance.
    - Get a seperate, good quality progressive scan DVD player (Denon or Arcam would be good) to play your recordings but ensure it is connected with an analogue connection (as opposed to DVI). You'll then benefit from HQ digital processing of the player and your recordings will look quite good (if you use an all digital route you will see extensive MPEG artifacts).

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I had a Mico, which is a Philips based machine.
    That had a monitor button which you could use to watch TV.
    It did, as you seem to think is the case with your Philips, display the picture according to the recording mode it was set to.
    So if the machine was on and you had it set to lp or slp mode, the picture was not as sharp.
    The picture was fine when the Mico was in standby though.

6. HD_King

HD_King
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your responses. I have thought about the idea of a separate DVD player as the buttons on the remote are a pain in the ass to use. You have to press and hold the skip chapter buttons to fast forward/rewind. It only works half the time so it gets very frustrating. Perhaps I will wait a bit for these DVD players that can play high definition WMV HD DVDs.