Faulty Pany px60 or faulty V+ box?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by kevlar, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I've had my V+ box for about 6 weeks with hardly a problem. It's connected via HDMI to my 42" Panasonic PX60. This last week the TV has been behaving strangely when viewing the V+ box, every now and then it is switching back and forth betweeen the HDMI input and its freeview tuner. Anyone else seen this?. I'm guessing the TV has developed a fault but it could be the V+ output screwing with the TV?

2. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Basic fault finding?

I only have a fujitsu plasma screen so I am unfamialiar with yoru plasma.

Howver, have you; can youswap hdmi connections, and or leads?

Can youget a picture from your v+ with a scart lead?

Do youahve a DVD player with HDMI output?

Simple fault finding efforts at your end will give us a better indication as to what may be wrong.

This may take soem time to try out, and irritating, esp knowing how dfficult soem leard are to gaina ccess to, but it mightprove worthwhile.

Hope this gives yousome ideas

Adrian

3. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Unfortunately the V+ box is the only HDMI source I have, and I only have the cable that came with the box. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the reply.

4. timetraveller

timetraveller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sapper was saying that you can try swapping the HDMI cable from one of the connections on your panny to the other one as you do have two HDMI ports on the TV. I don't know if the PX60 is the same as the PX600 I have I believe that apart from the PX600 having four speakers and an SD card slot they are the same in which case the recommended HDMI port is HDMI 1. This allows settings for analogue/digital sound and picture whereas HDMI 2 is for digital signal only.
    Irrespective of the above, just try plugging the cable into the free port and see if it makes any difference.

5. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106

Good idea, will try hdmi 2. thanks.

6. valleyboy10

valleyboy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem with my PX60 and Virgin box i was told by PANNY that it is a fault with the V Box signal. Contacted Virgin sent an engineer but the wife spoke to him and she did not understand the fault. It something to do with the new firmware upgrade on the V box and the signal it sends out on pin 13 so i was told!!!. I just switch the box off at the mains and reboot then it fine. But i will get an engineer out to have a look. And i will make sure me home nest time !!

7. BikeNutt

BikeNutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It'll be a dodgy connection on the HDMI port on the back of the V+ box. They are well known for this problem. My current box (second) is doing it now on my PX60. You need to wiggle the HDMI cable at the box end until the signal appears. It will get worse over time (I'm doing it every day day now - ooer!) so eventually you'll need a box swap. I don't want to swap my box yet as I have stuff recorded unwatched - plus I like my silver TVDrive.

HTH

8. stephendell

stephendell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a similar problem with the PACE DS810XE connected to the panasonic via HDMI1

The TV randomly switches modes/changes aspect settings/displays a blank screen when connected via the HDMI 1 socket. It does this even if the
    DS810XE is not the currently selected source signal. The only way to solve
    this is to disconnect the PACE from the HDMI socket.

It think there may be a problem with the HDMI set up on the Panasonic.

The unit is fine on HDMI 2 with nothing else connected. But link up the PACE box and a DVD to either HDMI at the same time and the HDMI 1 input keeps switching. HDMI 2 is always OK.

At least it looks like I don't have a faulty set and they are all like this...

9. BikeNutt

BikeNutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Sounds like yours might be a different fault. The HDMI sockets on the TVDrive have proved very problematic. My second box only started playing up when an engineer came to install a new D-Board in my Panny to fix 'purple snakes' (Don't ask!!)

Also, I have a Tosh HD-E1 HD DVD player connected to HDMI2 on my Panny and it's never missed a beat.

10. stephendell

stephendell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes my Toshiba DVD never misses a beat on HDMI2. It only ever has a problem on HDMI1 when the PACE is connected to HDMI2.

Here's the best description of the fault I could come up with for Panasonic. Hope it makes sense. I haven't had a reply yet from either them or PACE.