Question Faulty Panel or Calibrated incorrectly?

MashMan

Novice Member
I purchased an LG43UN71006LB from Amazon a few weeks ago. I believe it has an ips panel.
It arrived on Saturday and I soon realised that the tv was displaying yellows as more of a greenish-yellow out of the box.
The tv seems to be adjusting the picture automatically but I’ve turned every possible setting off that could be doing this but the issue remains.
Sometimes yellows look okay other times they display more greenish.
If I leave a yellow background on the tv,the tv will gradually adjust the picture and the yellow will go from greenish to actual yellow.
The only way I can get some yellows looking correct is if I turn down the contrast but this leaves my tv looking dark and messes up everything else.

I’m guessing this could just be how the panel operates rather than an actual fault and there’s some setting that I do not have access too,in the service menu maybe? Local dimming or something?

Ive tried with little knowledge I have when it comes to TVs just about everything I can think of to get the tv to display the correct colours.

Factory reset.
Turned off tv,unplugged it,left it for a few minutes and then plugged it back in.
Disconnected external devices.
And just fiddled with various settings.

The issue is present no matter what picture mode I select. What warmth. Whether watching SDR or HDR content. Netflix,BBC iplayer,YouTube & gaming.
If I had brought this tv locally and not from amazon I would've taken it back already! but since it’s from amazon I don’t want to send the tv back if this issue is easily fixed And the panel isn’t actually faulty.
I don’t want to be left without a tv for weeks and weeks.
I hope someone here has more knowledge than me and could help me out here and know whether this is a fault or not.
Thank you!

MashMan

Novice Member
So after fiddling around abit more I’ve noticed the tv is definitely auto adjusting the image,but I cannot find where to turn that damn thing off! or at least turn it down. For example when playing a video game,text that is supposed to be displayed as yellow will be the Greenish-yellow in lighter areas, but when I go into Darker lit areas the tv will adjust the text From that horrible looking greenish yellow to the yellow it’s supposed to be,until I enter a lighter area again! I can see it changing,why does it do this? is it supposed to be so obvious? and change the colour so far from whats it’s supposed to be? It’s only lighter yellows it doe this with!
If this is how the panel Is supposed to be,its a pretty stupid feature if you ask me.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a fault to me as if it’s some sort of auto room sensing light adjustment. Or just the panel control board warming up and going wrong

MashMan

Novice Member
Sounds like a fault to me as if it’s some sort of auto room sensing light adjustment. Or just the panel control board warming up and going wrong

Well damn it! I hope not. Is there anything you recommend I could try that could make this less of an issue?

I have read elsewhere that it’s probably just how the tv is? it is a budget 4K tv so you get what you pay for i guess. I wasn’t expecting anything mind blowing from this tv but wasn't expecting this either.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
There will be others with more experience who can suggest an approach. But budget TV or not it shouldn’t be doing that. I thought about colour balance and white adjustment but it just doesn’t seem right and doesn’t explain why it changes when “warmed” up

MashMan

Novice Member
There will be others with more experience who can suggest an approach. But budget TV or not it shouldn’t be doing that. I thought about colour balance and white adjustment but it just doesn’t seem right and doesn’t explain why it changes when “warmed” up

Alrighty no problem,I appreciate the response. Hopefully someone here comes along that has an idea of what could potentially be happening.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
It's from Amazon, send it back and get a refund. Buy another TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds that will be delivered in a few days

MashMan

Novice Member
It's from Amazon, send it back and get a refund. Buy another TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds that will be delivered in a few days

I did contact Amazon yesterday and they said I could send it back but I need to print off a return label which i cannot do unfortunately :/ because I have no access to a printer.
Just waiting on what LG have to say. They forwarded my issue to their technicians.
I wouldn’t be getting no replacement tv that quickly due to where i live. If I do manage to send it back I’ll just be getting a refund and going into a local store to get one instead.

chancooluk

Standard Member
This might be happening due to the RGBW pixel arrangement used on LG's lower end 43" IPS TV's. It affects the way that colours are produced due to not having a full colour range per pixel, yellows are often the colour that is most affected. Some photos would help to confirm this though.

MashMan

Novice Member
I thought that could well be the case being one of the more cheaper 4K TVs on the market. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 4B99E332-F1BE-4720-841E-EED192A3B4C5.jpeg
    4B99E332-F1BE-4720-841E-EED192A3B4C5.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 20

MashMan

Novice Member
Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem with my new LG 43UM7100 tv. Did you ever get a reply from LG?
I did mate. They said it sounds like a fault but they were not 100% sure,and wanted me to take a few more pics or send it in. I didn't bother sending it in in the end because it’s not a massive issue. with the contrast set at 70-75 both in game mode and expert dark room picture options,rather than it’s default 90-95 the issue isn't really noticeable.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom