Faulty Panasonic TH37PX70B - Consumer Rights

RichG8

Standard Member
Need some help on what my rights are in this situation.

I purchased the set from my local independat Panasonic authorised retailer in May.

Very happy with the set running SKY HD and a PS3 for movies and games:thumbsup:.

Last week I switched the set on to find a green vertical line about a pixel wide in the centre of the screen. Subsequently continued running has produced another 2 lines, this appeared on all inputs so I suspected a panel fault.

The local retailer picked it up the set a few days later and took it back to the shop / repair centre.

Rang them later that day to find out what was happening and was told it was a panel fault and would be 4-6 weeks. Not happy with that as they did not leave another set so the family is TV less at the moment.

After some phone calls Panasonic customer service centre thay say that they are expecting th part next week. They also said that the waranty is with the shop and would be up to them to give the credit. They also said that if it did streatch to 4-6 weeks they would look at alternatives.

Anyway, to cut to the chase the retailer says that it would be up to Panasonic to autorise a credit. Panasonic say that it is up to the retailer to provide the credit, which is right?

Is 6 weeks to long to wait? should I be given another set in the mean time?
Why can't they just give me a new set and sort it out between themselves??

Thanks for the feedback

smsmasters

Need some help on what my rights are in this situation.

I purchased the set from my local independat Panasonic authorised retailer in May.

Very happy with the set running SKY HD and a PS3 for movies and games:thumbsup:.

Last week I switched the set on to find a green vertical line about a pixel wide in the centre of the screen. Subsequently continued running has produced another 2 lines, this appeared on all inputs so I suspected a panel fault.

The local retailer picked it up the set a few days later and took it back to the shop / repair centre.

Rang them later that day to find out what was happening and was told it was a panel fault and would be 4-6 weeks. Not happy with that as they did not leave another set so the family is TV less at the moment.

After some phone calls Panasonic customer service centre thay say that they are expecting th part next week. They also said that the waranty is with the shop and would be up to them to give the credit. They also said that if it did streatch to 4-6 weeks they would look at alternatives.

Anyway, to cut to the chase the retailer says that it would be up to Panasonic to autorise a credit. Panasonic say that it is up to the retailer to provide the credit, which is right?

Is 6 weeks to long to wait? should I be given another set in the mean time?
Why can't they just give me a new set and sort it out between themselves??

Thanks for the feedback
Hi,

These two links should be helpful:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/electrical/

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

RichG8

Standard Member
Thanks for the links guys.

From what I have read the retailer is responsible.

It also states that a repair should be carried out within a reasonable perioud of time and without causing significant inconvenience.

To me 4-6 weeks is un-reasonable and I am inconvenianced by not having a TV.

To this end, I shall be going into the shop disafternoon and asking for a replacement / refund, armed with the Sale of goods act.

B

bladeaku

My dads tv has had the exact same problem vertical line down the middle of the screen and its the same tv as well.

RichG8

Standard Member
Just got back from a visit to the shop, good timing manager in the shop and it was busy.

Result:thumbsup: Got a replacement TV coming on Thursday.

He said that the 60 that panasonic said are coming next week would be for back orders as they had 8:eek: on back order for other customers.

I said I thought the time was unacceptable and not happy with a repair as it was the major part so wanted a refund or replacement.

He went off for a couple of mins and came back and said we could have a replacement.

Pretty happy with that a long as this isn't going to be an ongoing fault with others.

It's a shame because it's a great TV.

choddo2006

Novice Member
Is this some sort of design flaw on the PX70? It's not the first time it's come up. It's not "purple snakes 2.0" is it?

smsmasters

Just got back from a visit to the shop, good timing manager in the shop and it was busy.

Result:thumbsup: Got a replacement TV coming on Thursday.

He said that the 60 that panasonic said are coming next week would be for back orders as they had 8:eek: on back order for other customers.

I said I thought the time was unacceptable and not happy with a repair as it was the major part so wanted a refund or replacement.

He went off for a couple of mins and came back and said we could have a replacement.

Pretty happy with that a long as this isn't going to be an ongoing fault with others.

It's a shame because it's a great TV.

Hi, did you mention the Sale of Goods Act to the manager too?

RichG8

Standard Member
I did not directly as he bucked in to quickly.

I did say phrases taken from it like

..it was unreasonable for us to wait 6 weeks for a repair (act says repair should be carried out in a reasonable period of time)...we are inconveniance as it is the only tv in the house apart from my daughters portable (without causin signifi cant inconvenience)

We also said that we did not want a repair of the major component of the TV (the panel) we wanted a replacement or a refund.

I did take a paper copy from the act with me in sand to go through each point if required.

Thanks again for the links, I think being prepared, knowing my rights gave me the confidence not to be fobbed off.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I'm a little suprised they were even considering changing the panel as a panel plus labour costs more than the original TV, sounds crazy but it's true. It's usual for them to get a replacement authorised. Glad it turned out ok for you :)

Buddhainuk

Standard Member
I have just got the line going down the left hand side of the TV.

Is this a manufacture fault or what?

if any one can help it would be a great help as i have had this tv about an year or year and half. So where do i stand?

If this a manufacture fault can i get it fixed and how do i get it done.......

just looked and the Picture qualty is not as good now its more blocky than ever.

so is this a manufacture fault?

Hope you guys r reading this would like to know so i can get in touch with Panasonic on monday morning..

:lease::lease::lease: help guys

thanks for any help guys

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom