Faulty Marantz AV Receiver SR7010

rockport

Standard Member
Hi Everyone

It's with huge regret to posting that my beloved Marantz SR7010 receiver has placed itself into "Protection Mode" having issued no prior warning or shown symptom of failure or fault.

I've removed all cables except for power, and followed the online reset procedure to no avail :(

The receiver is 4 years "young" and obviously out of its 3yrs warranty period by just 1 year! :(

Can anyone recommend an established vendor who would issue me an estimate for the repair? Peter Tyson (the seller) have recommended LCD TV, Projector and Audio repair in Norwich, Norfolk and East Anglia as the only approved repair centre. I would love to hear from anyone who have experienced with sontec or even similar issues with their Denon/Marantz's reliability - to say I'm alittle disappointed is an under statement. Its had very light use at best!

Thanks for any info or advice.

James.

damirp789

Novice Member
Hi James,

I've got the issue with the same model given to me by my friend to repair for him. This is a hardware issue related to the power supply circuitry inside the amp. The main ac transformer drives some transistors which regulate the power to the speakers (obviously they are surrounded by some thermal resistors (to provide protection). More than likely they have failed and the power micro processor is detecting an imbalance of voltage and therefore shuts down in protection mode. The parts for a repair like this is only a few dollars but you basically got to take the amp apart to get to the main board (although I have checked this one). Pitty you don't live my way Perth cause I could do both at once.

Regards
Damir

AVG006

Novice Member
Hi Everyone

It's with huge regret to posting that my beloved Marantz SR7010 receiver has placed itself into "Protection Mode" having issued no prior warning or shown symptom of failure or fault.

I've removed all cables except for power, and followed the online reset procedure to no avail :(

The receiver is 4 years "young" and obviously out of its 3yrs warranty period by just 1 year! :(

Can anyone recommend an established vendor who would issue me an estimate for the repair? Peter Tyson (the seller) have recommended LCD TV, Projector and Audio repair in Norwich, Norfolk and East Anglia as the only approved repair centre. I would love to hear from anyone who have experienced with sontec or even similar issues with their Denon/Marantz's reliability - to say I'm alittle disappointed is an under statement. Its had very light use at best!

Thanks for any info or advice.

James.
Hi, I'm the proud owner of 2 A/V receivers from Marantz. They are: the SR-7010, and the SR-8012, and both have no issues. Some time ago, I owned another SR-7010 and the issue that receiver had was when you would turn it on the volume up it would go out of control for no reason at all. I went to a repair guy that I know very well, and it turn out the problem was either a software, or a hardware issue. Anyway, the problem was corrected, and I sold that 7010 online which was working great! The 7010 that I own presently has no issues at all. I'm running though a Klipsch RF-7 series (III) speaker package, and it sounds amazing! One thing I like to say about Marantz receivers: they are one of the most well balance receivers on both movies, and music. I like there motto, which is: "because music maters", and "sooner or later, you will own a Marantz!"

leroy tyrone

Novice Member
Hi James,

I've got the issue with the same model given to me by my friend to repair for him. This is a hardware issue related to the power supply circuitry inside the amp. The main ac transformer drives some transistors which regulate the power to the speakers (obviously they are surrounded by some thermal resistors (to provide protection). More than likely they have failed and the power micro processor is detecting an imbalance of voltage and therefore shuts down in protection mode. The parts for a repair like this is only a few dollars but you basically got to take the amp apart to get to the main board (although I have checked this one). Pitty you don't live my way Perth cause I could do both at once.

Regards
Damir
Hi Damir

Any chance you know the part name/location of the parts you replaced? I suspect I've got the same problem on my SR7010. I have the service manual, but if you know which bits need replacing, that'd be most appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom