Faulty IR Receiver? Any advice?

alz2605

The built in IR receiver on my HP Pavilion VG238A has all of a sudden gone unresponsive to commands from my remote control. it still responds to some random commands but its not at all reliable. The LED, which lights up when it receives an IR signal, seems to be flashing all the time now too even when no remotes are being used.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or whats gone wrong? Is there something in Windows 7 I can go into to do diagnose the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Have you tried new batteries in the remote?

mdbarber

try kicking up a ubuntu live cd on the machine to make sure its not some errant software, also check for other faulty remotes in the area

alz2605

Have you tried new batteries in the remote?

Got a harmony one with a rechargeable battery. Get the same problems with the original hp remote and another harmony remote I have so I'm thinking it's more software related than hardware. Although saying that there could be a fault with the actual ir reciever.

AMc

Distinguished Member
The LED, which lights up when it receives an IR signal, seems to be flashing all the time now too even when no remotes are being used.
Have you shielded it completely from everything in the room? An errant remote stuck under a cushion, some energy saving light bulbs, plasma screens and even direct sunlight can interfere with IR.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom