Question Faulty HDD on Sony RDR-HXD870

Airlane1979

Novice Member
I recently bought this unit used, as I had one a long time ago which was very useful. However, it shortly afterwards began freezing the picture on hard disk playback. Is the only option a like-for-like replacement of the drive? Ideally, I'd install a SSD but I suspect that's impossible. I have the service manual and see that I'd need to buy a service remote. Is an identical new drive still available?

If this would be both difficult and expensive, I'll just use it to record on DVD-RW.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
A suitable drive is probably still available, even second hand maybe. It depends if Sony, like Panasonic, tattoo their drives with a unique identifier which makes it nigh-on impossible to swap.

Upvote 0

Gavtech

Administrator
You should try a drive re-format first.

Upvote 0

Airlane1979

Novice Member
You should try a drive re-format first.
I'm not sure how to do that. The manual does offer this in the System menu but only when a hard disk error code is displayed. It's not. This is confusing, as clearly the drive is not working properly but there's no option available to format it. Is there another way to format the drive?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom