1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Graphics card OR Pentium chip ??

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by loadsofleads, Jun 21, 2005.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My computer fried last week after something happend to the power supply, I'm guessing it sent a high voltage to the components and buggered them. The Hard drive was literally smoking. I have now bought a new motherboard and hard drive but I don't know if one or both the Pentium 4 and Graphics card is dead. When I switch the computer on (with a new power supply !!) the LCD will not come on meaning the card is dead, but I then thought if the chip is dead maybe that would stop the graphics card from working ???
    My question is, would the LCD still come on and go to BIOS even with a dead chip ?

ps. The fan on the graphics card is turning, meaning that it is alive to some extent, but I guess 'the engine's running but there's nobody behind the wheel' would be an apt explanation for that ?

Any comments appriciated guys.

2. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Dont know for certain, but i think that on mine, the first screen has the graphics card info, so I would presume that as you are getting nothing on your screen, your card is kaput, as the chips are likely to go very easily, and the supply to the fan is probably more robust, that is proboably why the fan is still going.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    if you have a faulty gfx card OR cpu - your system won't start, there will be no bios display etc.

4. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Was it caused by a power surge, because if it was you can try to claim on your insurance, mine was simillar and got a new comp which i upgraded also, still not tried the old one yet to see whats left working but hopefully the drives will be ok.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a power surge protector built into my 6 way extension box, so the chances of a power surge are very low. I'm guessing there was a fault with the power supply itself. Threw the bugger in the wheelie bin, that will teach the little bastard a lesson :D

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a simalar problem last week.
    The voltages from the PSU became very unstable due to the increased temperature and outputting increased voltages.
    Have you considered the memory could be fried?
    Is the motherboard bleeping at all??