Faulty Gas cooker

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Every now and again my gas cooker does work properly. I will be able to light the hobs as well as the oven but the flame will not be consistent no matter how high or low it is set. It will almost be as if it has been lit in a windy room and the wind is blowing the flame slightly. It does this on all the hobs as well as the cooker. The flame is always blue.

Firstly is it dangerous and secondly what is it likely to be?

Cocksure

If the flame is blue then the gas is being burnt correctly, more than that without a lot more detail I couldn't say. Pictures would be helpful to.

You need to list exactly how each part of the oven parts is acting. So one description for the hobs and are they all effected or just some. One for grill and one for oven. A picture showing the burners in each section would help as that will give the safety devices and how they work

Pictures if possible showing how the flame changes if possible, one minute this next minute this etc. How long has it been going on for, are there fans running etc when in use. Size of your kitchen, lots and lots if you want someone to stand a chance of saying. If not then call someone in :)

Make and model rarely helps with cookers in regards online manuals as they are often hard to find, but if you can find a link that would help a lot and skip the need for pictures of the different burners

Edit
Gas cookers are pretty basic things compared to a boiler, but they are a lot harder to give advice on without seeing in action. With a boiler you know that if X is happening then it is likely caused by y. With cookers lots more details are needed from you that a gas person could tell from simply looking, as looking isn't an option here, then it's lots of details instead

Oops almost forgot, how clean is it? Dirty burners can play havoc with the flame, and cookers do live a dirty life. Still up to posting pictures :laugh:

Last edited:

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Not sure if pictures will help as its not a it's fine one minute and not the next it is a constant higher/lower type flame pulsing each second. I will try and get a video clip next time. Happens the same on every single burner. Don't think its dirt related as it's on every burner, the oven, top oven, grill.

I've just tried it again and its absolutely fine now. Could it be possibly an issue with peak time demand? Also I've noticed that the gas board were down the road digging up the pavement but this is not the first time it has happened but maybe related?

Cocksure

Is the boiler running at the same time when it happens and does it happen when you are using the cooker quite heavily?

If every part is doing the same then it is very unlikely that the cooker is at fault, but instead it is struggling to get the gas supply it needs, and that supply of gas is coming and going so the flame goes up and down to match the supply.

Could be on your end, the gas meter regulator or the supply pipework

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
The boiler was not on at the time and when trying it I switched all but the smallest burner off and it still did it. I'll have to wait and see if it happens again. Would it be the gas board I'd need to call to get it looked at?

Cocksure

It still did it with only the smallest burner on!? You sure nothing else was running as that is a tiny amount of gas, no hot tap or central heating running?

At this stage stage you need to call in a gas Safe person to test gas working pressure, they will then know if the problem is your end or the supplier. Without that the supplier won't be very interested as there's no smell of gas etc and there responsibility ends at the meter.

A quick test you can do is put everything on full on the cooker then open a hot tap if it's a combi boiler to see what happens. Should be a brief slight drop in flame size only

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Yup smallest one only. Haven't got a combi boiler and the boiler was not running as it's in the same room.

I've tried it again now and again it's all fine. Lit of 4 burners as well as the oven. Might see if any of the neighbours use gas to cook and have noticed the same thing.

I'll see if the gas board are still working round the corner tomorrow and ask them about it if they are.

Cocksure

If it's happening at times with only the smallest burner on, then it does through the gas supply reason into question as that ring burns around 0.5 to 1kw of gas which barely turns the meter over.

Still no harm in asking

You really need to capture it on video so as you can show it to the gas person that you call in as one way or another it's going to come to that