1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty DVD: What can I do?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by WhyAyeMan, Oct 29, 2003.

1. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I fairly recently bought a DVD, South West 9, top film, except I didnt get to see the end because its knackered. It gets to about the last 10 or 15 minutes, and then the picture scrambles up and the sound stutters, its unwatchable for the next 2 minutes by which time it freezes completely.

The thing is, although I bought it fairly recently, I have lost the receipt. Is there any way I can send it to someone (perhaps the company who is responsible for the movie) and would they possibly exchange it?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try emailing the distributors or taking it back to the seller for an exchange (no element of fraud so shoul not need a receipt.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    If you bought it in the UK you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It is defective. You can return it for either a refund or exchange and you do not need a receipt. Do not let the retailer tell you otherwise. Any policy they have on this must also be qualified by Your statutory rights are not affected and this is you statutory right.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Thanks guys, I'll try taking it back to the shop. Cheers

5. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Also it's worth noting if you paid by debit or credit card and have lost your receipt the shop in question will have an electronic record of the transaction and be able to verify your purchase (hence enabling you to take it back).

I'm not sure about the Sale of Goods Act thing mentioned above: I've worked in lots of shops and had to be pretty up on Statutory Rights (and mail-order legislation) and there were plenty of dodgy people who brought stuff in saying it was defective and had no receipt: the onus of proof in that case would be on the customer: they have to prove (if they paid cash) that they purchased it at my shop, otherwise anyone could bring in any piece of tat similar to my stock and demand a refund.

In those situations u bet your ass I wouldn't give a refund or exchange -- look what happened at M&S when they had a ridiculously open returns policy (no receipt, no nothing) every shoplifter in town brought back their freshly nicked stock to get cash refunds -- some didn't even leave the shop, just tore off the tags and took it up to the counter.

regards,
    anephric