Faulty disc in the david lynch boxset

jimmypsychotic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just give everyone who bought the David Lynch bluray boxset the heads up, there maybe a 1st pressing fault on the Lost highway bluray.I was watching it last night and the picture froze at 1hr.23mins46sec. I tried it on both my lg and sony bluray players and it froze at the exact same and the the disc surface was clean. So I'd check your disc's guys ,with any luck mine's a one-off as I don't want to wait for universal to do a repress!!

cheers jim.

Can you say how good the picture quality of the Lost Highway disc is ?

I can't give you an educated opinion because this was my 1st. time watching this film and have nothing compare it with!!!.
sorry jim.

That might be not the only problem from what Ive read elsewhere :(.

Definitely waiting for a proper review now - Ive read all kinds of bad things like no surround sound for some of the films (inexcusable when they are on the DVD releases!) and worst of all, 1080i transfers :eek:. This might not be true of course but I was really looking forward to this boxset and Im really getting put off it now...

That might be not the only problem from what Ive read elsewhere :(.

Definitely waiting for a proper review now - Ive read all kinds of bad things like no surround sound for some of the films (inexcusable when they are on the DVD releases!) and worst of all, 1080i transfers :eek:. This might not be true of course but I was really looking forward to this boxset and Im really getting put off it now...

I've just seen that as well and cancelled my order until there's a lot more details available :mad:

this is woeful news.

according to the review on amazon, FWWM may also have audio drop outs.

this in addition to the 1050i non 5.1 issues already noted for fwwm and LH

and the lack of extra footage on blue velvet.

:facepalm:

And some people wonder why a lot of us will only import movies from the states rather than opting for UK discs.

Aaargh, I was just in the process of selling my individual discs to get the set. I'll be holding on to my German Lost Highway Blu now
and I'll just buy Eraserhead and Dune individually (not that bothered about the Twin Peaks film). I'd already sold my US Blue Velvet, but just found a cheap used copy.

:mad: If there was one boxset that I hoped wouldnt be screwed up it was this one...

Looks like its going to be individual purchases from all over the place after all :(

Hoping for some help here with getting the right blu's after this box set debacle...

Blue Velvet - best one is US one?

Eraserhead - new UK one is fine

Dune - either new UK one or current US one

Wild at Heart - old UK one

Lost Highway - French or German one?

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - French one?

Any help much appreciated. Im a big Lynch fan and wasnt expecting them to mess up this boxset so much, needless to say Im not buying it. Eraserhead UK single release looks good with the Lynch 1 documentary too of course.

Aaargh, I was just in the process of selling my individual discs to get the set. I'll be holding on to my German Lost Highway Blu now
and I'll just buy Eraserhead and Dune individually (not that bothered about the Twin Peaks film). I'd already sold my US Blue Velvet, but just found a cheap used copy.

Todd - is the German LH safe to go for then? I see there seems to be an identical? French one that is considerably more expensive. The German one is a very reasonable price right now.

Having held off for this box set I have now gone German for Lost Highway and USA for Blue Velvet.

The french FWWM seems to be unavailable atm.

Can't believe we are 15 years on from when I bought my Lost Highway Laser Disc, which had fantastic surround sound, and they still cant get it right :(

Having held off for this box set I have now gone German for Lost Highway and USA for Blue Velvet.

The french FWWM seems to be unavailable atm.

Can't believe we are 15 years on from when I bought my Lost Highway Laser Disc, which had fantastic surround sound, and they still cant get it right :(

Yeah thats what Im doing too. I keep giving the UK ones a chance and they usually let me down - same thing happened with Chinatown!

Im getting the new UK Dune and Eraserhead releases though as they seem to be OK. And Im getting the old UK Wild at Heart release too.

Glad I held off buying the boxset as I nearly pre-ordered it a couple of times...

Hi Guys,
Just give everyone who bought the David Lynch bluray boxset the heads up, there maybe a 1st pressing fault on the Lost highway bluray.I was watching it last night and the picture froze at 1hr.23mins46sec. I tried it on both my lg and sony bluray players and it froze at the exact same and the the disc surface was clean. So I'd check your disc's guys ,with any luck mine's a one-off as I don't want to wait for universal to do a repress!!

cheers jim.

Can also confirm this, shame thought the boxset was a good bargain but it's skipping 10mins after the freeze-up so back it goes for me.

Other problems I can confirm are not a problem - FWWM & Lost highway are 1080P/50 not 1050i as wrote in amazon review.

Todd - is the German LH safe to go for then? I see there seems to be an identical? French one that is considerably more expensive. The German one is a very reasonable price right now.

Apparently the German transfer is identical to the French version. I haven't watched the whole Blu yet, just briefly checked it and as it's a murky looking film I it's difficult to assess the transfer on a glance. It's bound to be no worse than the UK version though.

Other problems I can confirm are not a problem - FWWM & Lost highway are 1080P/50 not 1050i as wrote in amazon review.
Why isn't this a problem? Shouldn't it b 1080p/24 natively?
1080p/50 implies it has PAL speedup?

mijacmad said:
Can also confirm this, shame thought the boxset was a good bargain but it's skipping 10mins after the freeze-up so back it goes for me.

Im sure ive seen a screenshot on a certain other site showing 1080i on those two. Enough to scare me off the box never mind the lack of proper 5.1 hd sound as well. What were they thinking?

Why isn't this a problem? Shouldn't it b 1080p/24 natively?
1080p/50 implies it has PAL speedup?

The problem mentioned on amazon was that it was 1080i which it wasn't, so this wasnt a problem. But if things r gunna get anal .......

Can I ask where u saw the German one at reasonable price? Im doing the same as you now that I returned my boxset. Managed to get a cheap US Blue Velvet on ebay & the old wild at heart?

mijacmad said:
Can I ask where u saw the German one at reasonable price? Im doing the same as you now that I returned my boxset. Managed to get a cheap US Blue Velvet on ebay & the old wild at heart?

Well I dont know if my reasonable is your reasonable but I just ordered it from amazon.de. Was half the price of the french one. U might want to order something else with it to make the postage worthwhile. Old uk wild at heart is 7.99 on amazon.uk.

Well I dont know if my reasonable is your reasonable but I just ordered it from amazon.de. Was half the price of the french one. U might want to order something else with it to make the postage worthwhile. Old uk wild at heart is 7.99 on amazon.uk.

More than reasonable thanks, got WAH for a fiver luckily on amazon marketplace new. I got the French elephant man from amazon.fr a few weeks back for 20 euros so should come pretty quick too like that one.

Im sure ive seen a screenshot on a certain other site showing 1080i on those two. Enough to scare me off the box never mind the lack of proper 5.1 hd sound as well. What were they thinking?

I saw it too, the poster said they were watching it on a Panasonic TV.

This is the pictire, thanks to ricster

Last edited:
1080i? Surely that's an error? Was going to pick up Eraserhead and TP:FWwM, but I'll settle for just the former now.

Well, this is the last time I'm pre-ordering something, that's for sure.:suicide:

Who could have anticipated such a mess up... To make things worse, there are no subtitles at all! Being Croatian, English subtitles are an absolute prerequisite for me because more often than not I find it very hard to understand what actors are actually saying.

And on top of all that Lost Highway has a glitch. :eek::eek::eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom