1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty digi-box out of warranty - what can I do?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kev_gordon, Feb 25, 2002.

1. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Pace digibox for just over 2 years now, and it's started to really play up - locking up frequently, or the picture won't display until unplugging it.

My understanding from reading these forums is that I am stuffed - and that the only way Sky will fix it is for me to pay full price for another.

Is there anyway to resubscribe and get the cheap installation offer?

If not, does anyone want to sell me their working digibox? :)

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digibox isn't broken so no point fixing it.

Since the PP software came out, it introduced a couple of bugs which have yet to be fixed.

These are:

Freezing - requiring a turn off or a very long wait.
    jumping channels - usually to sky1 or QVC
    going into interactive even though it wasn't asked.
    playing the sound but no picture - a long wait or reset required.

Lots of posts on these forums in the past or the sky newsgroups which can be checked via google.

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Kev,

I recently moved house and I had another new Panasonic digi Box installed even though the last one was perfectly fine.

The previous panasonic dig-box, which is probably about 2 years old, was fine and have noticed nothing different with the new one So I don't quite understand the previous comments posted - i.e menu's are still fast changing/appearing, no lockups , etc.

Anyway, to the point, why don't you cancel Sky agreement and ask to start a new one. There is bound to be a special promotion at the moment.
    They originally wanted to charge me £40 or was it £80 to have it moved.

I wonder how much second hand digi-boxes are going fore these days ? I read someones previous post who said they cancelled there's every year just to get a new box every year.

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Also, one last thing I haven't noticed anything going wrong with the satelite. Mine is constantly on day and night !!!.

Who slated Panasonic ??? Or am I just lucky........Or is that the KEY to everything.

I own the Panasonic TX -36PF10 TV - no problems ever (so far anyway) !! and a Panasonic Digi Box. I swear by Panasonic.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My comments are based on those posted in here in the past and on the sky newsgroups. The software differs with some of the different boxes and seems to affect some more than it does others. There are tons of posts backing up what i posted.

I should add that most of the bugs seem to happen when you are changing up/down the channels.

I too suffer the same problem and i have an early Pace box.

6. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a similar thread a few months ago. I knew I simply wanted a new digibox, but Sky would not sell me one without a visit from one of their technicians to confirm the problem. Needless to say, said visit was going to cost me a £60 callout charge, so I told Sky where to stick their help, and simply bit the bullet and bought a new digibox from my local retailer.
    There is apparently a way you can cancel your existing Sky subscription, and then have your missus apply for a new one in her name - they won't let you re-apply in your own name - but I wasn't willing to try that on myself (sounds a bit dodgy)
    Force Field

7. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the £60 callout charge SKY will either fix your digibox or provide a refurbished replacement for no extra charge.

8. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was quite useful. Thanks!

Now I need to decide if I try and scam my way round it by using my girlfriends name and postcode and resubscribing, or just pay the £60 and get it over with!

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you are totally ignoring all the posts on the sky newsgroups and these forums saying it is not a problem with the box but a problem with the software?

10. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this to reload the software. With the box switched off hold the backup button on the front of the box keep holding it and switch on the box whilst holding the backup untill the box display lights up then for 15 seconds let go of the button leave the box for about 15 minutes and the sofware will be downloaded. I got this info from www.satcure.com. Let me know if it works

11. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, in part yes. But I have my reasons. Firstly, how long before the bugs are ironed out of this software revision? I can't live with the damn thing crashing all the time. I have to reach round the back of my telly (like Harry Houdini) to get to the power switch on the wall every couple of days to switch it off. Secondly, my box has always been slow - since day one I noticed my brothers box was a lot faster. I can't remember which model now as he got rid of it. Thirdly - it's black. All my other equipment is silver. A lame excuse, but an important factor nevertheless.

But I will try the software reload as suggested by Paul Young. If it works, I'll stick with it even though it's black, for now!!

Thanks to all that have responded though. It is much appreciated.

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problems began with the introduction of the Personal Planner software update. There has been a partial fix since then but the problems still occur too frequently.

The older boxes will always be slower and increasingly so. I am just waiting a little longer before i change my one as there is talk about a sky+ deal coming out soon.

13. SignalMan

SignalMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Your digi-box may not be faulty, could be your dish not alighned correctly (check signal quality in set up), LNB or cable and for £60 for Sky to come and fix what is your equipment I can't see the problem, or you could go down the second hand route and be byeing someone else's problem. whatever you decide please don't try to get a second discounted subscription, you could end up with a £360 bill believe me I know a few people that have!

14. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting. I too am experiencing digibox lockup. Unfortunately about every half an hour and certainly each time I switch TV off. A real pain.
    Recently had a new Tosh 36ZP, that's when the trouble started never had a problem with the old Hitachi and everything else the same. I don't see how but could there be a link or just coincidence?
    Tried the software re-load suggested by Paul Young but no different.
    Additional problem with mine in that it affected the telephones in the house.(interference noise and constant engaged tone when dialling in)NTL engineer, who came to look, said signal from digibox causing the problem.
    How do you know if you have the latest software doubldoom?