1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty Atlantis CE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by h0l1yw0od, Feb 16, 2002.

1. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone else bought the Atlantis Collectors Edition from Future Entertainment and had a faulty copy.

(Please note this is NOT a complaint about Future)

The thing is I recieved the set when it came out but the movie disc had a fault on at about 30 mins in to it. I think the chapter was "Convoy" (maybe 6 or 7) and just as the vehicles were coming over the hill there was a sound/picture glitch.

I contacted Future and they have since replaced the disc but the fault is also on the replacement. This leads me to believe that there must be a faulty batch therefore someone else must have had the same problems too. I'd just like to know before I contact Future and/or Disney's tech site.

Again as I say this is not a complaint about Future but really more iffy discs from Disney.

I've checked the disc on other machines but it's the same story so any comments would be of interest.

Cheers.

Paul

P.S. Does anyone know of a technical site for Warner Bros as my Matrix and You've Got Mail have both gone bad.

2. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed, Disney DVD's are notorious for problems, but most times it's to do with incompatability issues with certain players and not disc authoring. For instance, Dinosaur refuses to load at all on my Toshiba 3109, which is R1 only, and switches between 16:9 and 4:3 on my Samsung 709.

Tell the forum what type of player do you have because it may be that the disc has a compatability issue with it.

3. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Its a Pioneer 717 but I've also tried it on two different LG models, the 3200 and the 3000 and my friends 717. I've never had compatibility issues with other Disney titles (or to think about it any other discs period) but my copy of Mulan went bad between my first viewing and my second - from perfect to completely unwatchable.

After getting in touch with Disney they replaced it free of charge so I might take this route again. But I was just curious as to anyone else having this problem.

Cheers

Paul

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Looks like I got a faulty copy of atlantis, the sound cuts out twice (not including the layer change). I got it in Sainsburys for £19.99 -hopefully they'll do me a refund so I can buy another copy on play.com for £17.99, but what annoys me more is that I watched the whole movie in dolby digital 5.1 and was very impressed with the quality of sound and now i realise that it's also in DTS! Why didn't they put DTS and THX on the back of the box? I also wonder if it's in Dolby Digital EX / DTS ES? I have to put my Reciever (marantz SR5200) manually into 6.1 mode if it's to decode a 6.1 stream y'see.

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now we're getting somewhere. Th reason the sound cuts out is because of the DDEX encoding. Apparantly some amps have a problem decoding the EX datastream and this takes the form of "dropouts" in the ordinary 5.1 audio. This does not happen with the dts 5.1 track and was first discovered on the Atlantis disc.

Dolby Labs have asked authoring houses to remove the EX headers from all EX discs until they can sort the problem out.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What do these headers actually do? I have to manually put my marantz SR52000 into 6.1 surround mode to decode a 6.1 stream (as opposed to auto for everything else) are the headers supposed to put my amp into 6.1 mode for me? I mean I do have an reciever capable of DDEX, if that's what the headers are supposed to do it doesn't work, the sound still cuts out and i still have to manually put the reciever into 6.1 mode.