• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Faulty Amstrad Boxes.(stuck contrast).

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Can any one please tell me if SKY are still fitting faulty Amstrad boxes (stuck contrast) and if so why?:)

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Can any one please tell me if SKY are still fitting faulty Amstrad boxes (stuck contrast) and if so why?:)

I just had an Amstrad with this problem swapped for a Samsung. Installer tried another Amstrad from his Van before the Samsung though and this had the contrast problem

antacid

I bet it's because the majority of people don't bother moaning/complain with little issues in regards to this contrast business.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I bet it's because the majority of people don't bother moaning/complain with little issues in regards to this contrast business.

Yeh and they should realy after all as i have said before your paying good money for a service your not recieving.:)

antacid

Yeh and they should realy after all as i have said before your paying good money for a service your not recieving.:)
Yeah fair enough but a lot of people don't pick up on little things that does not really affect their service, to be honest mate I have noticed since joining here that some people go way to deep with their gizmos/gadgets, etc etc.

meggy

Got my Thomson replaced a month or so agowith an Amstrad,no conrtrast problem with it.Only gripe not overly impressed with general picture quality ,thought Thomson box was better.So much so intending dropping HD subscription.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Yeah fair enough but a lot of people don't pick up on little things that does not really affect their service, to be honest mate I have noticed since joining here that some people go way to deep with their gizmos/gadgets, etc etc.

What did you expect it's a website for AV enthusiasts. Go to a Car related forum and it will be full of people tweaking every aspect their cars.

Many people on here have spent thousands on top quality kit which is why they want to get the best out of it. If they only wanted it to be 'OK' then they might just as well have bought cheaper kit in the first place

Mine is "stuck" over HDMI and the PQ is great so it is neither a problem or faulty.
Problem i and many others have is to get your TV setup correctly to work around the fixed high contrast on the SkyHD box messes up the picture for BluRay player/DVD/PS3 etc..

Even after doing this it can still be impossible to get round it fully as the fixed high contrast results in loss of detail in some images

Last edited:

lechacal

Yes they are. I just had one installed an hour ago. I'm going to have a think before I decide if it's worth kicking up a fuss. Is there really that much to be gained by going back to the HD box lucky-dip?

Gormless

Standard Member
Problem i and many others have is to get your TV setup correctly to work around the fixed high contrast on the SkyHD box messes up the picture for BluRay player/DVD/PS3 etc..

My 50 inch plasma has the same settings for Freeview, PS3, Wii, DVD and Sky HD. Even though each input is capable of independent settings after the initial calibration the PQ on each input was close enough to go with a single setting for the lot, there is a difference between them all but it isnt worth worrying about.

Now either my Amstrad box is stuck on medium which seems to be what lots of people experience or there really is a number stuck on high and a number stuck on medium or lots of people have the contrast on the TV too high to start with.

sizedoesmatter

Yes they are. I just had one installed an hour ago. I'm going to have a think before I decide if it's worth kicking up a fuss. Is there really that much to be gained by going back to the HD box lucky-dip?

Just checked & it looks like mine is to. Tbh I wouldn't have changed it from whatever settings its on anyway. So coupled with the fact that its brand new as a replacement for my three yr old thomson (that was louder than a jumbo taking off) I'm happy. No issue on picture quality either.

antacid

What did you expect it's a website for AV enthusiasts. Go to a Car related forum and it will be full of people tweaking every aspect their cars.
Talking about a SkyHD box which does not cost thousands of pounds not cars :rolleyes:

tele1962

Distinguished Member
My 50 inch plasma has the same settings for Freeview, PS3, Wii, DVD and Sky HD. Even though each input is capable of independent settings after the initial calibration the PQ on each input was close enough to go with a single setting for the lot, there is a difference between them all but it isnt worth worrying about.

Now either my Amstrad box is stuck on medium which seems to be what lots of people experience or there really is a number stuck on high and a number stuck on medium or lots of people have the contrast on the TV too high to start with.
They are stuck on High mate and your loosing detail from your picture .:lesson:

Meridius

the thing is that the amstrad box contrast can be changed to low,medium and high but when you do so the picture does not change at all it just stays the same.

but the problem is that the amstrads contrast is not stuck on medium which would of been perfect its stuck on High which in turn has crushed whites and you losse detail in the picture.

now when you spend £2500 on a tv and want to spend £300 on a isf cal for your tv you dont want the hd box crushing whites before you even start.

so yes it does matter to some but not to others but to me i want to be able to change it as i have been toled that medium is the right setting on hd boxes and low for sky+ boxes

so before i getmy tv isf cal i want as box that can have the contrast change now i have herd but dont know if its true that the new epg will or might fix this but i can not take a gamble unless they bring it out in the next 3 weeks as i want my tv isf

tele1962

Distinguished Member
the thing is that the amstrad box contrast can be changed to low,medium and high but when you do so the picture does not change at all it just stays the same.

but the problem is that the amstrads contrast is not stuck on medium which would of been perfect its stuck on High which in turn has crushed whites and you losse detail in the picture.

now when you spend £2500 on a tv and want to spend £300 on a isf cal for your tv you dont want the hd box crushing whites before you even start.

so yes it does matter to some but not to others but to me i want to be able to change it as i have been toled that medium is the right setting on hd boxes and low for sky+ boxes

so before i getmy tv isf cal i want as box that can have the contrast change now i have herd but dont know if its true that the new epg will or might fix this but i can not take a gamble unless they bring it out in the next 3 weeks as i want my tv isf

Yes it is quite true as the Beta testing on the Amstrads has shown the the new EPG does indeed cure the problem.
However the Amstrads are giving other problems with the new EPG so as a result it could be months rather than weeks before the EPG roll out.:mad:
If more and more people complained about this issue then they would have to do something.:)

Intenso

I had an Amstrad (latest model) fitted two weeks ago and I can see the effect that the stuck contrast is having. It seems to especially effect any broadcasts that are well recorded and bright, causing whites too be too bright and without any detail. The contrast can also add a slight luminance that is artificial and distracting.

On the majority of broadcasts however, the high contrast doesn't seem to make much of a difference and the PQ is fine.

For me I've got used to it and am happy to wait for the new EPG to arrive when the issue will be resolved.

I've thought about changing boxes but TBH I'm very happy with the PQ of the Amstrad and would be surprised if there is much between the HD PQ of the various boxes.

The Amstrad is also a very stable and quiet box.

I'm happy to wait or maybe if someone gives me the details of who to complain to I'll send an email.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I had an Amstrad (latest model) fitted two weeks ago and I can see the effect that the stuck contrast is having. It seems to especially effect any broadcasts that are well recorded and bright, causing whites too be too bright and without any detail. The contrast can also add a slight luminance that is artificial and distracting.

On the majority of broadcasts however, the high contrast doesn't seem to make much of a difference and the PQ is fine.

For me I've got used to it and am happy to wait for the new EPG to arrive when the issue will be resolved.

I've thought about changing boxes but TBH I'm very happy with the PQ of the Amstrad and would be surprised if there is much between the HD PQ of the various boxes.

The Amstrad is also a very stable and quiet box.

I'm happy to wait or maybe if someone gives me the details of who to complain to I'll send an email.

Honestly mate when your tv is calibrated correctly it makes one big difference.:(That is why i had my box changed.:smashin:

What is realy frustrating is that i believe SKY know about this problem and yet are still installing faulted boxes in peoples homes then taking payment for them.:mad:

technovorgin

Standard Member
well i got my new 3 day old amstrad with stuck contrast (new not refurb either) exchanged for a brand new retail boxed samsung and i have changed the contrast to low and i think the picture is better

im having the tv calibrated so needed to have this sorted

Siochain

I'm glad that someone has an amstrad which might be stuck on medium but mine is definitely stuck on high, as I believe a lot of of these amstrad boxes are. Yes the image will look superb but it's not correct, I suffer crushed blacks and more visible is white clipping, try watching sky hd football broadcast, if it's a daytime match and one of the teams jerseys is white it's very easy to see white clipping.I have heard a comment on the forum and sky have said just adjust contrast on your tv but as the issue is with the sky box it won't make a difference to the image.

To Meridius
You can have the sky hd output whatever you require to the Pioneer 5090, be it 576p (not 570i) to 1080i,there is an auto resolution setting for the sky hd box, it's best to let the tv do the scaling as the sky hd scaling is poor
As I have the same tv as yourself the illogical way pioneer set their inputs the way I have it connected with hdmi & RGB scart (two inputs) I'm losing a hdmi input this way bt the sd performance through the hdmi on the amstrad is woeful and all noise reduction settings need to be enabled so i find it is better using the 2 inputs, one for hd one for sd,

Meridius just try and not get a amstrad box when you're getting skyhd, try and get samsung or maybe a pace but read through the forum to see what issue the other skyhd box makes may have. i'm pushing sky to replace the amstrad box so save yourself the bother when you order your skyhd and don't accept a amstrad box at the beginning if possible.

Last edited:

chrismuk

They are stuck on High mate and your loosing detail from your picture .:lesson:

No, mines stuck on medium, its easy to tell on Scart the difference between low, medium and high and my HDMI output has the same contrast look as scart on medium. On high it looks washed out via scart.

Unless you've got first hand experience with every Amstrad boxed produced I cannot see how you can proclaim they are all stuck on high!!

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Mine is stuck on high and it is driving me mad. I will be calling s k y when I get to work to get this sorted.
I have adjusted the contrast on my Plasma and it helped a bit but it can only mask the problem.
To many things are coming will faults theses days and they rely on future updates to sort it out.
How do these boxes get through quality control with such a fault.
People do not get HD unless their kit is well up to date and there for expensive only to be connected to a box with a fault.
I would like to have a choice of box like you get with anything else but s k y will not allow anybody else to make the boxes so when Amstrad or samsung make the box there is no competition, but if you could go out and buy any other make they would have to raise their game.
I am sure alot of people on here that have spent thousands of pounds on their kit would love to be able to go and buy a £500 pound box that would blow the S k y ones out of the water.
The people that make the boxes at the moment must be very restricted with costs for R&D so quality is comprimised.
Just my thoughts please don't kill me...:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom