Faulty AE100E Panasonic!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Feb 16, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Panny Users...Bought mine yesterday from Brighton([email protected]) for £15 000..travelling from London....they showed me a demo which lasted approx 5 mins...nice...Got back home, tried it for 20mins worked great,
    1.When i put the panny on again the lamp had stopped working!!! No fan..no nothing...expect for some flashing led(red) lamp, the "on" led flashes green..then stops..then flashes green..then amber..then orange!!! what the hell going on..looks like a trip to brighton again! what's my rights here? Are they going to give me a new one or fix it? I have hardly had it for 24 F***ing hrs...could it havebeen their demo panny? The lamp usage displayed was "2hr"
    2. Tried my s-vid lead from my lescon 900 and all i got was a crappy black n' white pic!? They colour display on the Panny menu was disabled....then i had to resort to a normal phono vid out lead to get colour...Can anyone help me out here??? Thanks for listening to a first time buyer!

2. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You could have saved yourself £13,600 if you bought it from somewhere else - you've been rumbled :D

3. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean i could have bought a fully functional one? Where from? :confused:

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    sounds like it's overheating to me..
    have you checked the manual.? It lists the varying L:ED colours depending on condition.
    Also, you should get confirmation that the lamp has plenty of time left as the PJ shuts down automatically after a set period (even though it seems very new for this)..
    hope you get it sorted..

5. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called the guys at the shop..they said the panasonic help line is open on monday...told me not to panic.and if it is faulty they'll replace it next week as they make trips up to london regularly...Why oh why does this have to happen at a weekend...

6. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called the guys at the shop..they said the panasonic help line is open on monday...told me not to panic.and if it is faulty they'll replace it next week as they make trips up to london regularly...Why oh why does this have to happen at a weekend...

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Joey,

It's sods law that everything breaks at the most inappropriate time

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm you say the bulb hours read 2 hours?, surely a shop cannot sell someone a new projector which has obviously been used?!, unless they tell the customer first. If its been used then you should of got at least £100 off, I would ask them about this.

I know a large retailer who got badly fined because they were selling items which were not brand new...

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pj arrived yesterday, it looked like it had been shipped straight from the shop the same day it arrived from Japan. I checked the lamp usage when I first tried it, it read zero.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    dunno,
    I got mine yesterday and I knew it had been demoed. It showed about 4 hrs, but at least I knew it was fine. With something like this I actually felt better knowing it was in full working order..

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    that could have been the one I took home for a demo. It didn't have many hours on it, and it was the only one the Brighton store had. It was fine when I was using it - honest guv!

I even kept the remote in the little plastic bag while using it (after putting the battery in)

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Pinda

I'm guessing you maybe never read the books of words - like most of us - unless you get stuck.

Most LCD projector lamps must be given a cooling down period once activated before being moved and they also do not like you switching the projector on and off at the mains outlet without giving the projector the required time to go through its cooling off routine once you switch it to standby.

I'm sure your dealer will get you sorted out with a replacement - though, with the current stock situation, it may actually be quicker to let then send it to Panasonic service and have it repaired.

As to two hours on the clock then I guess that's down to if you asked the dealer to check the projector out for dead pixels or not - two hours lamp usage on this lamp is around £0.07. (£175*/5000).

Regards

Joe

* The lamp price is not confirmed but it expect it to be around £150 - £175.

13. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do you know the lamp life will be 5000 hours in low mode.
    the manual mentions something about a non removable "change lamp now" message when 2000 hours is up, can the machine differentiate between usage hours under both power settings?

cheers

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Good point, it also crossed my mind, i have mine set in eco, but the hours run as normal, and it is no differnt in high mode.
    I just hope it doesn't shut down at 2000 hour's.

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could ask panasonic in the way of an email, but I would think the way the projector works is by an internal clock timer. If its in normal mode then it counts in seconds but if its in economy mode every 2 seconds would increment the counter by ONLY 1 second. Therefore if you actually watched a movie for 1 hour in economy mode I bet the lamp timer only increases by 30 mins?, you can easily check this by doing a quick test :)

HTH
    James

16. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Many projectors monitor the electrical resistance across the lamp. At a certain value the projector shuts off the lamp. With the projector running at full power the lamp will reach the shut-off value quicker than in economy mode.

Regards

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Chris

Thanks for that, I can now sleep at night :)

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears that I have a similar fault, had the panny working for about a week, used it yesterday lunchtime then when I switched it on last night it flashed the green power light for a while, then that went amber and the red "Lamp" LED started flashing, according to the manual that means that there's an "abnormality in the lighting circuit!", could this be a blown bulb? I have always switched the projector off and correctly and it's securely screwed down so it hasn't been moved while hot.

Did you have any luck getting it fixed or find out what the problem was?

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Neil

These two (three) projectors do appear to have a similar problem - though I am guessing it's not the lamp module; it sounds more like something in the control side of the projector.

I guess you can either fire the unit back to Panasonic service for a quick repair or return it to your dealer for replacement - though they are unlikely to have a replacement unit in stock until next week at the earliest so a repair may be the quickest option.

Sorry I cant add any more to this message as these units are so new its difficult to know what has gone wrong.

Best regards

Joe

20. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,
    I know how you feel mate....sick feeling at the pit of ur stomach..
    I called Panasonic & they told me they had just put a team together for a tech course on the new panny. One of the technians told me it was due to the "lamp drive..not sure what the means, but maybe in plain english="lamp has blown" It could be classed as a "Dead On Arrival" unit too. I was promptly asked to return the unit to the dealer for a replacement. I'd advise you the same mate.
    The most annoying thing is that the shop told me that they had a similar prob as they demoed it for me but they fixed it by a simple reset. Of course they never told me at the time as i was about to buy it :mad:
    Sod having it repaired..Who says it'll be any quicker..at least you got more than 20mins use out of it..won't be long till the new shipments arrive.
    I bought the unit on 15th feb...gave it back on the 20th and i'm still waiting for a phone call..........but i know it'll be worth the wait.
    Keep in touch..

Pinda (can't wait to see Jaws!!! )
    :D

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I bought my projector while on a trip to London, rather than locally, so looks like I'm stuck with getting it fixed through Panasonic rather than just returning it. Just got it all set up nicely as well.

22. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well..i live in London and i got mine from Brighton...same story i guess..where did you buy it from??

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A place on Tottenham Court Road, Gultronics, I was just up there for a romantic weekend with the girlfriend and we "accidentally" ended up on Tottenham Court, spotted the projector on display and managed to get them to do it for a reasonable price (1430) after a bit of internet price matching.

24. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck Neil! Let us know when you get the little bugger fixed.i know no more than you ;)

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after talking to both Panasonic and the shop I bought it from I've decided to send it back to Panasonic for repair (the shop didn't know when they'd be getting more stock), talked to a guy at Panasonic's service department who was really helpful and they're sending a courier out to pick it up this afternoon, so hopefuly they'll be able to sort it and it wont take too long to sort it. I suspect a blown bulb but whether they will actually be able to get hold of a replacement quickly I don't know.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Panny back from the repair centre yesterday, seems to be working OK now, glad I got it repaired rather than exchanging it, as stock still seems to be a problem.

27. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! I'm happy for ya...just got my van damme s-vid lead throgh the door...except no panny..

Incase your interested..I ordered some dvds from austrailia..got them on mon...not bad considering i ordered them last thursday night!

They are region 4..and they all work fine ;-)
    1. On the WaterFront
    2. Jaws 2 (good extra features..inc.composer feature J.willians)
    3.The Ultimate DVD Platinum (2 discs calibration)

I saved myself 45 bucks....cost 25 pounds for all three inc.free delivery! HMV prices total 70 pounds!

http://www.ezydvd.com.au

28. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi neil..did they tell you what the problem was in the end? My replacment done one on me again!!

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I know was that it was something in the bulb unit, they didn't tell me any more than that. As far as I know they didn't work out what the problem was they just changed the bulb unit!

30. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks neil....i'm having a horrible time with panasonic...the dealers are asking £91 inc vat for the pick up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a fu*kin joke!