Faulty 5 day old mobile

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I ordered a new S20 which arrived next day on the 15th June. Within a few days, I had the issue seen in the below pictures, where the screen would not unlock and it appeared a dead pixel was on the screen. I had to soft reboot (volume down and power) to be able to use the phone. I emailed the company on Sunday (so 6 days after receiving it) and they never got back to me. I emailed again this morning and it bounced back as a custom spam setting, so it seems they have blocked my email.
I now have contact with them and they want me to send the phone for testing.
First, surely this is unacceptable?
Secondly, apart from returning it under a cooling off period, what else could I do?
received_629541637653795.jpegreceived_629541637653795.jpeg

Attachments

• received_727899374447872.jpeg
    received_727899374447872.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 213
The stuck pixel ISNT a stuck pixel, on the new phones a single pixel is lit up to enable face detection behind it. Common with all samsung phones.

I assume the firmware is already all up-to-date?

The stuck pixel ISNT a stuck pixel, on the new phones a single pixel is lit up to enable face detection behind it. Common with all samsung phones.
I never said it was. Whenever this pixel occurs (whatever it is) it interacts with the touch screen, and when the phone is locked enables the accidental touch protection. The pixel (or whatever it is) is not always present and is more likely to appear after the phone has been used.
The supplier was affordable mobiles (admin please remove if not allowed to name)
Below is the email I get when it bounces. Looks like I have been blocked to me Screenshot_20200626-101735_Gmail.jpg

I assume the firmware is already all up-to-date?
Yes software is up to date.
Can i refuse under sale of goods act?
If so whom is responsible for delivery costs back to the supplier?
They want me to send it back via RMSD (about £8) while they test it, and if it is not faulty will charge me £40 even though it is obviously a fault

Agree with this in the first instance. But don’t worry because I think Samsung will sort the issue otherwise.

Cheers,

Nigel
Samsung have sent me back to the supplier

Or it’s their spam filter. Have you tried the suggestions in the bounced mail?
Yes, my first email went to them fine, and subsequent emails from my other Gmail and hotmail account also went through.
I sent 3 emails all with the same text, and that one bounced back, the other 2 didn't

Can i refuse under sale of goods act?
If so whom is responsible for delivery costs back to the supplier?
Sale of good act is no longer in use. It’s been superseded by the Consumer rights act.

They should pay postage. Ask them under what rule they are charging £40 as I can’t see any exception allowed in the cra law (eg they can’t even charge a restock fee if you wanted to return).
Maybe could charge you return postage to you if not faulty, but not random £40 charge.

Sale of good act is no longer in use. It’s been superseded by the Consumer rights act.

They should pay postage. Ask them under what rule they are charging £40 as I can’t see any exception allowed in the cra law (eg they can’t even charge a restock fee if you wanted to return).
Maybe could charge you return postage to you if not faulty, but not random £40 charge.
If they cannot find a fault they want to charge £40.
And I thought they should pay postage

If they cannot find a fault they want to charge £40.
And I thought they should pay postage
Yes that’s what I’m saying - ask them under what law are they allowed to charge the £40?
If there’s a fault then yes they pay postage. If there’s no fault, then I’d expect you would need to pay the postage to return back to you.

There website says you have 14 days to return it, you have to phone a number to arrange that , you can also return a sim within 14 days , you have to phone a different number for that.

Has this fault only occurred the once? I’m not saying it is right but lots of computerised electronics glitch now and again and require a reboot. Is there a software update you could try before going down the return route?

Has this fault only occurred the once? I’m not saying it is right but lots of computerised electronics glitch now and again and require a reboot. Is there a software update you could try before going down the return route?
This has occurred several times and seems to be related to rather when it is hot or the phone has been used for a while

Just reject it under distance selling regulations. I did that with my latest iphone. It had an intermittent fault from new and it was just easier to return as unwanted rather than faulty.

As above, I'd be inclined to swallow the postage for rejecting it as a change of mind rather than try to deal with this lot. Make sure you photograph every facet on the day of return together with proof of date, even if you have to buy a newspaper.

TrustPilot Reviewer said:
Ordered and iphone11 and decided it wasn't for me so I returned it.

Had it less than a day, didn't take it out of the house, in fact, didn't even put the sim card in it.

I just received an email to say the phone isn't in Pristine condition and I will need to pay £218.70 or take the phone back. The phone is as I received it and the box has been sat on the table since it arrived.

Just reject it under distance selling regulations. I did that with my latest iphone. It had an intermittent fault from new and it was just easier to return as unwanted rather than faulty.
But that means it goes back into stock and could be bought by another customer. By returning it as faulty, the onus is on the vendor to rectify the fault or seek recompense from the supplier/manufacturer, and the faulty one removed from the chain.

Just checking, is the seller a UK company? If it is fine, but if not the consumer laws being discussed here are not applicable.

Personally I would be nervous of assuming that a company that blocks customer email addresses and threatens a £40 ‘no fault found’ charge is going to follow the laws and refund quickly. From how you have described them so far I would not be surprised if getting a refund out of them once you have returned the phone turns out to be a long and hard slog.

What are internet reviews of the company like.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just checking, is the seller a UK company? If it is fine, but if not the consumer laws being discussed here are not applicable.

Personally I would be nervous of assuming that a company that blocks customer email addresses and threatens a £40 ‘no fault found’ charge is going to follow the laws and refund quickly. From how you have described them so far I would not be surprised if getting a refund out of them once you have returned the phone turns out to be a long and hard slog.

Cheers,

Nigel
On trust pilot they are good (4.5/5)
But obviously this is from people without any issues.

Cheers,

Nigel
Seller named in Post#6

For what it’s worth, the reviews seem ok

I have just emailed then telling them that I am refusing the phone as it is not satisfactory (nor is there customer service)
Now the phone is part of a contract so not sure how to go about cancelling that?
Would it be the retailers responsibility?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom