1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faults on rented DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RonMac, Sep 11, 2003.

1. RonMac

RonMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last two months I have been renting DVDs online. Two of the sixteen DVDs I've rented had picture faults. On one the picture froze for about two seconds, then ran on for another couple of seconds then froze again. This was repeated through about 10 seconds after which the film played perfectly to the end. About half-way into the other disc the picture froze, then jumped to the next frame still frozen and continued this 'frame at a time' play. There was also pixelation. The fault didn't clear, so I pressed Skip on my remote and jumped forward about 10 minutes. I found the fault had cleared, but returned again towards the end of the film. I complained to the rental firm who sent me another copy which played perfectly.
    Can anyone suggest why I am encountering these faults only on rented DVDs. All the 50 or so DVDs I own all play perfectly. Many have been played several times.
    My DVD Player is an LG DVD4710 which cost me £170 from Tesco 18 months ago.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Did you check the offending discs for scratches etc?

3. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just think about all the idiots who threw the rental discs around and you know why your discs play but the rental don't.
    People just don't respect the discs as they are not theirs.
    that's all. well not all. it may well be that the rental discs didn't get the attention that retail discs get: after all they are often different DVDs.

BTW welcome to the forum;)

4. RonMac

RonMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to Messiah and Lux for replying so quickly. I didn't look for scratches on the faulty discs, but I did try cleaning the one with the major fault. This didn't make any difference. Superficially both discs looked as pristine as any of my own. I agree that people don't respect what is not their own. Lux, you write that:
    "rental discs didn't get the attention that retail discs get: after all they are often different DVDs."
    Do you mean that when recorded, 'burned', or whatever they were not made as carefully as their retail cousins? Surely the rental DVD is going to have a harder life than the retail disc.
    The discs I receive from online rental firms are not just re-packaged retail discs. Usually, the latter will have a label replicating the artwork on its package. Not so the rental discs which are simply printed with the title, the BBFC Certificate, the TV system ie. Pal and the note that the disc is for 'Rental Viewing Only'. They arrive in a neat, padded envelope, addressed and stamped for return. The whole thing seems very professional. It's hard to believe they don't take as much trouble as those who produce for retail sales.

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fox and many others put out rental only discs as you emntioned. Now those don't need to be of very good quality. there have been many instances where the rebntal discs had very bad picture quality and they corrected that for the retail version.

those skipping and freezing are mastering/authoring faults and they can happen. but for rental discs the impact isn't that big. for retail releases however a company would lose a lot by putting out faulty products.

I'm not saying that is the cause of all the reported faults but it may be some. It may also be that your lens is dirty or that your player is incompatible with certain discs.

BTW: the company that produces the retail version is the same than the one that makes the rental version.

HTH

6. RonMac

RonMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Lux. I have a Laser Lens Cleaning disc which I got for the PC's drive. It claims to clean DVD players too, so I'll give it a go.
    Another thing you might be able to give me a tip about. My hearing is not very marvellous. I've had hearing problems most of my life and age hasn't helped. So I find a headset preferable to speakers. I connect the audio out (L/R) jacks on the back of the player via a twin cable to the similar input on an old cassette/radio, taking off the audio with an in-ear stereo headset. Looking to improve this audio, particularly dialogue, I got hold of a pair of Sony Fontopia Inner Earphones (£34.99 from Maplin!). They are truly superb. (And so they should be at that price!!) The radio/cassette unit is OK but a bit ugly in our living room. So also from Maplin I got a headphone amplifier. With budget in-ear headsets (£9.99 from the likes of Currys) there is ample sound from this amplifier. But using the Sony Inner Earphones I have to have the volume pot turned all the way up and have nothing to spare for quiet dialogue, eg. whispering. Any thoughts on this? As a last resort I can switch on the sub-titling. But this really is a last resort as I find this titling very obtrusive and apparently aimed at the completely deaf as it also describes sound effects! One other thing I have done is to activate DRC in my player. This has made a slight improvement, I think!!

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tough one...
    I don't know enough about amps and headphones (theninner working stuff) to explain what is going on.

What I would do, but that also depends on what exactly:"My hearing is not very marvellous" means.
    you could buy a proper surround set with all the speakers that would allow you to increase the volume and also play around with the seetiing, ire make central speaker with the dialogue louder then the rest etc.
    Those amps also feature earphone jacks and your sony earphoen should work better on those.
    that is of course a lot of money. but not knowing the extent of you condition it's hard for me to judge.

BTW not all subs have the descrption of sound those are opnly the so called SDH suntitles for the deaf or hearing inpaired. usually subs don't tell you "music playing" things;)

HTH
    sorry that I'm not much of a help for the earphone stuff

8. RonMac

RonMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, many thanks Lux. Your postings have been a great help. Especially for telling me I can expect poor quality in rented discs. Picture breaking up and so on is just something I'll have to live with if I rent DVDs. At least I won't bother complaining to the rental company.
    I was spending too much cash buying DVDs, even at knock-down prices from the likes of Play.com. Plan B is to sort the wheat from the chaff by renting and hope to find the occasional film I would like to have in my collection when it's affordable.
    As to the audio: I watch DVDs late in the evening after my wife has gone to bed. So speakers are out! My hearing loss is a high frequency deficiency. The Sony Inner Earphones boast very high frequencies. Sound through them is very much clearer than with budget sets. Also they come with interchangeable ear sleeves (small, medium and large) which enable them to fit snugly inside the ear. I happen to know that I have a very narrow passageway down inside my ears. So with the smallest sleeve all the sound is channelled into my ears. I've just got to sort out the feed to the earphones. On the Net I found many purpose built headphone amplifiers. This all seems to be professional kit costing more than your home cinema surround sound gear! Way out of my league. From Maplin I got a headphone amplifier (£34.99). It has a power supply built into its mains plug, supplying 15v DC to the unit. As there is no "On/Off" switch I left it plugged into the mains and disconnected the DC plug. To my surprise disconnecting this plug caused a apark powerful enough to burn the tip of my finger! What with this and its poor performace with the Sony Earphones I sent it back to Maplin. I'm still waiting their comments!!
    Meantime, also online I've obtained a stand alone stereo equaliser which can be located between a headset and an amp, to hopefully adjust frequencies and boost volume. We'll see.
    Meantime, very many thanks again for your interest in my problems. Cheers.