Faultless widescreen television ?

An engineer is coming out Thursday to mine.It isn't normal what's happening and is both annoying amd irritating.

I could have had a replacement,but in my experience,all models are the same,so I wanted individual attention to mine,as I want to keep it.

Dynamic contrast nasties was *one* of the reasons my 6506 was returned. It was especially bad on B&W movies where a blue then pink (or vice versa) tint was present also. The 6557 (iDTV) replacement had a different set of faults: it was impossible to get a decent contrast range and B&W was now sepia! The 6557 was returned also.

Next, bought a Loewe Aventos. Everything fine. At first it was simply relief that it produced a decent picture without any obvious flaws. It didn't take long to discover that the picture was way better than anything i'd seen on the Philips. In particular, subtle hues in the image were rendered very well *without* the image looking overblown. Not the sort of thing that might get noticed in a store when the temptation is to look immediately obvious aspects such as 'sharpness' and 'punchy colour'. Overall though, watching movies on the Loewe is more enjoyable than anything i'd experienced with the Philips.

Originally posted by MartinImber
I dislike SVM intensly

It distorts letters in Millionair

Luckily it only infects composite, s-vid & analogue TV

That's very interesting, I have never seen these effects on my tosh. What do you mean by distortion?

B becomes 8
g becomes 9

and so on

I will take a look at that...but I'm sure I've not seen this on my tv. An interesting effect.

Originally posted by JJM
Dynamic contrast nasties was *one* of the reasons my 6506 was returned. It was especially bad on B&W movies where a blue then pink (or vice versa) tint was present also. The 6557 (iDTV) replacement had a different set of faults: it was impossible to get a decent contrast range and B&W was now sepia! The 6557 was returned also.

Next, bought a Loewe Aventos. Everything fine. At first it was simply relief that it produced a decent picture without any obvious flaws. It didn't take long to discover that the picture was way better than anything i'd seen on the Philips. In particular, subtle hues in the image were rendered very well *without* the image looking overblown. Not the sort of thing that might get noticed in a store when the temptation is to look immediately obvious aspects such as 'sharpness' and 'punchy colour'. Overall though, watching movies on the Loewe is more enjoyable than anything i'd experienced with the Philips.

My Philips isn't too bad with the Contrast and is just about adjustable.I get a great picture from it.

Which model Loewe Aventos have you got and how much was it?

32" Aventos (9381 I think, same # as Aconda?) Cost: £1250 from Sevenoaks including passable stand, though I will change that to a Soundstyle. Delivered and installed by Sevenoaks, 2 year Loewe warranty.

The Engineer came round and said he couldn't really do anything in my house without sending it back to the workshop.

I didn't want it going to the workshop for weeks and possibly being damaged in transit,or at the workshop.Plus it might come back not adjusted to my liking,or causing other effects.

The other night I altered my Contrast and Brightness settings again.After watching a films night scenes,I realised I had the Brightness too low,so to compensate for this and turning down/loss of the Contrast,I turned the Brightness back up.Night scenes and other scenes are better lit now.My Contrast blooming is still under control also.

Even after turning the Contrast down to 62 from 81,the TV has still got loads of Contrast.The whites and Contrast are the strongest I've seen from a Philips TV,or any other.

At least this nasty in adjustable,unlike lines,banding etc,I've had with previous TV's.

I do like this TV a lot and am happy with it's great pictures.Recommended.

Originally posted by JJM
Dynamic contrast nasties was *one* of the reasons my 6506 was returned. It was especially bad on B&W movies where a blue then pink (or vice versa) tint was present also.

Could you explain in a bit more detail your Contrast nasties please and your other reasons for sending the 6506 back?I've not noticed any problems with B/W material.

Originally posted by Wayne Moule
Could you explain in a bit more detail your Contrast nasties please and your other reasons for sending the 6506 back?I've not noticed any problems with B/W material.

Whenever there was a sudden change in picture brigntness, the overall hue of the bright areas of the picture changed from (nearly) neutral to pink then blue (or vice versa). The opening of 8 1/2 was especially prone to this effect. Nearly neutral with B&W was the best I got until the Aventos arrived - then I realised that B&W on both Philips was never quite right.

you know, the thing i hate about reading threads like this and also magazines/adverts for other things is that you go looking for faults in your otherwise spot on AV setup :)

Originally posted by Ashy
you know, the thing i hate about reading threads like this and also magazines/adverts for other things is that you go looking for faults in your otherwise spot on AV setup :)

Not in my case. I *was* going to put up with poor geometry and even the naff dynamic contrast effect. The last straw was a big blue patch in the lower left part of the screen. Always visible on WS B&W movies. With the Aventos, it was just 'plug and play'. Actually, Sevenoaks did the first bit.

http://www.avforums.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

As many have said on this forum you can never get the perfect crt.
I am very happy with my jvc 32d5 But the only thing that irratates me is the high contrast glow especially on whites that are far from the camera. The whites usually have a glow effect. It doesnt spoil a very good picture but this is something jvc should work on.I went into the service menu and reduced the contrast but this doesnt do anything! Actually if you reduce the contrast substantially you can still see whites stand out in the near dark picture meaning its some fault. But you just have to live with it.

Getting a near perfect TV these days is like trying to win the lottery.

What is quality control?

mij

Originally posted by mij
What is quality control?

Generally consists of a bored chap/chappess who is counting the minutes to his/her next cigarette break... waits for TV to turn up and switches it on... ooh look it switches on.... PASS!! :rolleyes:

Any quality is purely coincidental...

I've heard companies some don't even switch the units on...the customer does that.

Had the tele a few months now still happy with it. Ive seen a few faults one being horizontal flickering lines when there is a light background with the subject in the foreground , nobody else in the house has noticed so it can't be that bad.

The main conclusion i have made is that the television is better than the transmissions it is receiving if you know what i mean.
And there is more picture problems from the input than there is from the tele itself. Does anybody agree ?

Originally posted by army
Had the tele a few months now still happy with it. Ive seen a few faults one being horizontal flickering lines when there is a light background with the subject in the foreground , nobody else in the house has noticed so it can't be that bad.

The main conclusion i have made is that the television is better than the transmissions it is receiving if you know what i mean.
And there is more picture problems from the input than there is from the tele itself. Does anybody agree ?

I assume you've still got the PL1.

What other faults have you seen and are there any dark patches?

I'm still happy with my Philips nice clear clean pic.

I get a superb Proms pic.

My settings have changed to:-

Brightness 46
Colour 40
Contrast 60
Sharpness 54

:)

My 16 year old son has just said what faults ? like ive said in the past if you look you will find.
Anyway ive seen no dark patches i do get bad geometry on the sky menu bottom right of screen & pixilation , this could be down to the digibox.
When changing from Sky to video/dvd the picture is darker.
Very pleased with the DVD picture through the svhs scart .
Picture setting can't be set as accurate as yours but i would say mines about the same.

A faultless widscreen TV closet you will get is B&O Avant or Beovision 3

Next time your out on a saturday bored go take a look they are very inpressive far more than Loewe cant wait to see a PD30 go head to head with a Beovision 3 should be interesting!!!

I think their isn't the Perfect TV and will never be! Until CRT is replaced and discontinued for ever!!!

I had about 7 wide tvs before I finally found my perfect one. Its a Sony KP44PX2. I have had it for 8 months now and Is till cant find a fault with it. I had Tosh, Panny and 2 other sonys (rp and crt) before this one and all had niggles. i am very fussy but I cant find fault with this one at all.

cheers
shaun

Originally posted by shaunthedude
I had about 7 wide tvs before I finally found my perfect one. Its a Sony KP44PX2. I have had it for 8 months now and Is till cant find a fault with it. I had Tosh, Panny and 2 other sonys (rp and crt) before this one and all had niggles. i am very fussy but I cant find fault with this one at all.

cheers
shaun

I've just been down the same road as you and I am picky.

What's the 100Hz like on your Sony?

Did you try any Philips sets.

Can you get table top RP sets?

Happy viewing :) .

the 100hz is ok unless the panning goes fast then it blurs. does not bother me though

cheers
shaun

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom