1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fault with Phillips DVR880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thehorse, Jul 14, 2004.

1. thehorse

thehorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm asking this question on behalf of my mum and dad, so apologies if some of rthe details are a bit sketchy.

They were trying to record something last night on their DVR880. It looked like it was recording as usual. Unfortunately, when they wentr to play it back, the display said 'No Disc'. They were new discs - JVC DVD+RW discs - but on ejecting the disc and trying to play a pre-recorded one, again the display said 'No Disc'.

Is this a fault which other users have encountered? Any quick fixes?

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first reaction would be that the optics may be dusty. It would be worth trying out a DVD "cleaner" disc in the drive. They can be bought from shops like HMV and Woolworths for less than a tenner. The cleaning disc has micro brushes that "stroke" the dust off the optic as the DVD "plays".

If this does not sort the problem out, it may be that the machine has developed a fault and you will have to resort to a Philips service centre.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    A Philips machine developing a fault!?! Surely not!

4. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Try unplugging it from the mains for about a minute, then plug it back in . Apparentely this resets the software, it could just be a glitch.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of unhelpful news,but there is not a single 880 out there that will not develop this fault.The machine is genuinely only suitable for a breakers yard.If a new machine,from as cheap as £200,is not an option,then contact Philips via their website.They have extended the warranty on these piles of junk to 2 years,due to this type of fault.A cd firmware upgrade will be temporary at best.Unless the machine has already been back to Philips,it will need a trip to their workshop.But you would save yourselves a whole lot of trouble by putting it in the nearest skip(yes,they are THAT bad) and buying a new Panasonic,Pioneer,Toshiba etc.

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You don't rate them highly then, Phelings? :D

I was given a 980 with the same problem. I got it repaired a couple of weeks ago under (2yr) warranty. It didn't cost me anything so if I get 6 months out of it I'll be happy. Then I'll buy a cheaper machine with dv in/out. The current Umax/Yamada 8000 is reckoned to be pretty good, and only £150 at Richer Sounds. Cyberhome also have one waiting in the wings.