Fault on a Sony - red line on the screen

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by imavillan, Sep 21, 2007.

1. imavillan

imavillan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? :lease:

I have a Sony KDL-S32A12U which was purchased in Feb 06 and is out of warranty.

It has developed a red / pink vertical line going from the the top to the bottom of the screen. The line is visible on all channels, digital and anologue and is about 1/2 a milimetre thick.

I have tried turning the tv off but the line is still there when i switch it back on.

Its driving me mad and i am finding myself looking for it when watching any programme.

I have called Sony who do'nt know what it is and have given me the number for a repair centre.

Has anyone else had this happen to there tv, what is it and if so, was it repaired and how much did it cost?

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    sounds like you are describing a single line of vertical pixels are stuck on red.
    I know this fault on another set, in fact i have seen it twice, neither sets were sony but both had to have new panels fitted,
    dont want to be the bearer of bad news so i hope sony are different

3. imavillan

imavillan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it requires a new panel is it worth it from a cost point of view or as the price of the tv's have come down is it worth buying a new one?

I paid 1200 for this a little over 12 months ago.

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    really don`t know the answer to that question, the ones i know of were still within warrenty period, so don`t know the final price of the repair, both sets were collected and redelivered on behalf of the manufacturer and repaired at my place of work,

5. imavillan

imavillan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ijd

Has anyone had this problem and paid for a repair?

6. imavillan

imavillan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would expect a tv from a reputable name such as Sony to last longer than 18 months....does anyone know if this is this a common fault?

If i complain direct to Sony will they do anything about it even though it is 18 months old? Has anyone else had a similar experience where Sony have responded positively?

If you buy an LCD tv get it from John Lewis with a standard 5 year warranty at no extra cost.....and they price match!!