Father read a report on how much electric plasma use,so banned from getting one.

TLMONKEY

Established Member
Reaction score
So my question is,
Do plasma tv's really use alot more power then old crg or even new led tv's?

i have read reports on here that with average use a plasma will use about £30 a year more in electricity than an equivalent LED, which i think is not a lot to pay for better picture quality.

i have one of those electric meters that tells you how much in cash your using on average over the month, if i turned my lx5090 on it added £30 a month to the average :devil:

i have read reports on here that with average use a plasma will use about £30 a year more in electricity than an equivalent LED, which i think is not a lot to pay for better picture quality.

Well,
He read a so called good review site(digitalversus.com) and it says that the TXP42G20B which i was about to buy uses 650watts??? and only gives it 1 star on power usage.
(Thing is i cant find that model on there, closest is the 42g15 which is 248w usage)
So,
Even though panasonic themselves only state 290w he insists this site is right and thats the end of it??????????

Well,
He read a so called good review site(digitalversus.com) and it says that the TXP42G20B which i was about to buy uses 650watts??? and only gives it 1 star on power usage.
(Thing is i cant find that model on there, closest is the 42g15 which is 248w usage)
So,
Even though panasonic themselves only state 290w he insists this site is right and thats the end of it??????????

The 42G20 uses nearer 150 watts when running.

The 42G20 uses nearer 150 watts when running.

Thats more like it. panasonic state 290w, but average of nearly half of that?

He is basing his want/needs on what the present crt toshiba we got/use states in its manual(125watts)

in cinema and low contrast modes, the usage is a lot less than the modes some of these figures are taken from- standard possibly.

I'm sure if he bought a more eco friendly fridge, you'd have plenty of power left to get a few tv's :D

The measured power consumption is in this review:-

Panasonic TX-P42G20/TX-P42G20B/TXP42G20 Review: Freeview HD TV

The power consumption of Plasma TVs does vary depending on the picture settings and what is displayed on the screen - For example with contrast and brightness etc on full with a fully white screen the TV will use the rated power, but as Alsina says in cinema mode with the correct settings the set will use around 150W.

Below is an extract from the recent review Here of the Samsung PS50C7000 by this site.

Energy Consumption

For a plasma the C7000 is surprisingly energy efficient, although due to the self illuminating nature of the technology the power usage varies depending on the content being shown on the screen. Using the calibrated Movie mode and watching normal content I measured a high of 220 watts, a low of 90 watts and an average of 120 watts which is excellent. The consumption figures using 0, 50 and 100 IRE rasters were 89 watts, 170 watts and 295 watts and the C7000 used less than 1 watt in standby.

yeah but you'll also have to get the TV topped up with Gas after 2 years tho.

yer dad needs to stop being so narrow minded.
fathers, they are stubborn at times. having said that, mine loves his LG 42" plasma and doesnt care how much leccy it uses.

fathers, they are stubborn at times. having said that, mine loves his LG 42" plasma and doesnt care how much leccy it uses.

So true mate,
He has decided plasma bad, led/lcd good and thats it :(

I showed him this thread earlier and he said "oh, 150w thats not that bad,ok plasma ok" then later on he read another site which stated 240w usage and plasma banned again.:mad::mad::mad:

So true mate,

I showed him this thread earlier and he said "oh, 150w thats not that bad,ok plasma ok" then later on he read another site which stated 240w usage and plasma banned again.:mad::mad::mad:

Plasma draw around 150w unlesss you watch a white screen allday.........

does he or anyone else in the house haver a PC running? wonder how much thats drawing?
my intel core2duo cpu is rated at 95w, not inc anything else in the tower and the monitor

I can't tell from your posting if your seriously saying plasmas need regassing or not but put simply they don't. Maybe in the depths of time there was some early plasma tv that benefitted from regassing but the reality is that plasmas have a very long working life comparable to other display technologies. LCD backlights can lose purity over time and in my experience this is more likely than issues with plasmas.

anyone know how much it costs to run a plasma for a year, compared to a lcd?

I can't tell from your posting if your seriously saying plasmas need regassing or not but put simply they don't. Maybe in the depths of time there was some early plasma tv that benefitted from regassing

:rolleyes: Pleeeassssseeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

OK take a 600 pound plasma, to get the same size LCD/LCD LED with comparable PQ, how much more do you need to spend? 100? 200? 300???? How much more to run a plasma over a year?
Easy for me as any LED that gets close to the PQ of my set costs way more and my bills actually gone down last I checked lol...all IMHO of course:)

Good points about PC use lol dread to think what my beast uses.

please tell me it does not cost £300 a year to run a plasma!!!!!

please tell me it does not cost £300 a year to run a plasma!!!!!

:laugh: god I hope not!!!:eek:.....:laugh: going guess is about 30? hence my point:)

Sorry I use a lot of sarcasm in my posts.:smashin:

:D

almost put off the plasma then!

im hoping that its not terribly expensive to run. everywhere ive googled i cant actually get a rough estimate? is it around £100-£200 to run a year? say 4 hours a day.

:D

almost put off the plasma then!

im hoping that its not terribly expensive to run. everywhere ive googled i cant actually get a rough estimate? is it around £100-£200 to run a year? say 4 hours a day.

:laugh::smashin:

If you want to get numbers Id ask one of the experts like Phil, he reviews and calibrates sets for a living, he wont mind you pm ing him.;) All I know is it doesnt concern me, from what I read and have been told its no huge amount of money. To be honest PQ is my concern and to get an LED that Id consider close to the PQ of my plasma is way out of my price range, more than any poss saving over 3-4 years.

So true mate,

Well get him to read it again 240w-150 =90watts difference.

If 1KWh =13p thats one kilowatt / 1000watts per hour costs 13p

Say you watch 6 hours a day every day 365 days year. so the extra 90w x 6 x 365 = 197.1 KWhs x 13p = £25 pounds a year extra or 7p a day.
Does your dad buy a newspaper?
So if you find a plasma £250 cheaper it will take 10 years to break even to the more expensive set and you'll pay buy installments!!!!

Matt

Last edited:
Yeah I see your point, it's a bit more about affordability for me along with pq!

I ideally love a 3d plasma (cheapish) but time will tell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom