Father needs LG with IPS, Trumotion 4K HDR 42"+ ...NEW

snadge

can anyone advise that my dad was ripped off my curries giving him a secondhand LG which had a VA panel in it but was told it was IPS by rep, got his money back... as you could not view it unless head-on, engineers at his MOD work said it was a faulty VA panel anyway which had less than 60' viewing angle.

so i said, use RICHER SOUNDS on the advice of experts on here who are used to current models and helped me move from Samsung VA to LG OLED - was like night and day to me - LG B8 is brill - crap 5Ghz but brill - but he only read that RS do refurbished units so was put off the entire thing, i had to explain they do NEW units too and to demand one and have it printed on the receipt! + 5 years free GT on all sets OR John Lewis as they are meant to be alright.

his budget is £400-£450 and im certain LG sets at that price come with IPS panels / [email protected]/60Hz - HDR and TruMotion100 around 42"-48" size - my 10 years old £400 LG has IPS so did his 10 years old £400 720p Samsung (which is what he is STILL using with a FOXSAT 1080i upscaler) believing he was watching true 1080p on a 720p set - i had to explain the chain to him 576i upscaled to 1080i - deinterlaced to 1080p then sent to the TV which would downscale the picture, he needs educating.

anyway, the one he returned the screen had no peely - as i worked at PC world for 2 years i know their routine, it was returned probably for the same reason n reshelved cos that's curries do then lie to you about your entitlements to refunds.... all the new TV's i unpacked had peelys on the screen....so it was 2nd hand for starters.

WHY LG?
because I've had all brands and found them to be best for MANY reasons and cos of C19 I cant visit but as we'll both have WebOS I can assist in setting it up and how to use apps etc using FACETIME... basically at 65 i can keep him right....

can anyone help?
thanks in advance

Dodgexander

LGs at 49" use IPS but 50" are VA.

Broadcast 1080i isn't bad downscaled to 720p since it has half the motion resolution. For regular TV may be better sticking with what he has rather than an UHD model that has to upscale a lot more.

Best viewing angles will be 49" Sony models compared to LG, so if you want the very best viewing angles you need to go with Sony.

tvdavid

tvdavid

if the Sony is no go any LG Nano Cell TV will be a go.

snadge

if the Sony is no go any LG Nano Cell TV will be a go.
are all Nanocells IPS ? also do LG use VA/TN panels in cheaper models?

edit: he said that actual model isn't 178' (IPS)..? on What Hi-Fi?

..and thanks for the reply

tvdavid

50 58 and 70 inch tvs are all VA only.

snadge

how can i see this to prove to my dad?

thanks

Dodgexander

Why is that? Assume both are IPS?
Because LGs IPS panels are different from the panels Sony use, despite both using IPS technology. There are variations between traits of one IPS panel and another, and the ones Sony use have better viewing angles.
are all Nanocells IPS ? also do LG use VA/TN panels in cheaper models?

edit: he said that actual model isn't 178' (IPS)..? on What Hi-Fi?

..and thanks for the reply
Nanocell is just the name they use to describe how the TV displays colour, it has nothing to do with the type of panel the TV uses. If an LG TV is a different size other than 50, 58 or 70" it will use an IPS type panel.

The figure you have (178 degrees) is a viewing angle spec direct from the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with the actual viewing angle of the TV and is best ignored.

RealityDysfunction

Because LGs IPS panels are different from the panels Sony use, despite both using IPS technology. There are variations between traits of one IPS panel and another, and the ones Sony use have better viewing angles.

Nanocell is just the name they use to describe how the TV displays colour, it has nothing to do with the type of panel the TV uses. If an LG TV is a different size other than 50, 58 or 70" it will use an IPS type panel.

The figure you have (178 degrees) is a viewing angle spec direct from the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with the actual viewing angle of the TV and is best ignored.
178 degrees basically tells us you can't see the screen from behind the TV. It is incredibly widely quoted in specs, but totally useless if you ask me!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom