Father-in-law wants a 'future-proofed' PC for under £450!

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I know the title is kind of a misnomer. However, my father-in-law is looking for something that he'll be able to upgrade two years down the line. He doesn't plan on doing much gaming, although he may be using it for HD, hence why I chose a HD2400XT graphics card.

He also stated that he wants a dual core processor, so I went for the Pentium E2160. I went for a P35 mobo as at least he can upgrade to a Penryn quad core a couple of years down the line. He does a lot of photography so he wanted a 500GB hard drive too!

Here's what I came up with:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2160 [£55.80]

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L [£59.91]

RAM: Corsair (2x1GB) DDR2 675MHz/PC2-5400 XMS Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) [£54.99]

Graphics card: 256MB Sapphire HD2400XT PCI-E (x16) [£44.29]

Case: Antec NSK6500 [£58.75]

HDD: 500GB WD5000AAKS [£66.96]

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit [£68.73]

Optical Drive: LG GSAH62N [£19.14]

Media Card Reader: Enlight 26 in 1 Internal 3.5" Card Reader [£8.98]

TOTAL: £437.55

Are there any glaring errors there, or can you guys think of something better for the cost? Or if I can bring the cost down even further, for similar spec, that would be even better! Any help would be gladly appreciated! :)

[PS: I'm only looking for case only, he already has monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.]

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
If he's thinking of playing HD then you might want to consider either the Tosh HD-DVD drive and / or the Pioneer BluRay drive. This will obviously spiral the cost of the system though.

KH

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'm avoiding those drives for now due to the cost. I would have opted out of a video card altogether if the mobo supported VGA. The HD2400XT seems like a good compromise though.

tinners

Novice Member
Id go for the Samsung HD501LJ over the WD. I have 2 of them and theyre very fast and quiet.
Also look at http://www.scan.co.uk you might save yourself a few quid.
e.g. E2160 ~ £49.93
2Gb (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 ~ £52.33

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Amazing really what you can get for 400 quid or so these days isn't it!

Razor

Looks fine Tej :)

One thing I would change and its down to personal choice. I would go for a Pioneer 112 instead of the LG dvd writer. Its the same price as the LG.

:)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Cheers guys. If I went for the Pioneer I'd probably go for the 212 instead of the 112 as I'm looking for a SATA drive to avoid the IDE cable clutter inside the machine!

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
If he's thinking of playing HD then you might want to consider either the Tosh HD-DVD drive and / or the Pioneer BluRay drive. This will obviously spiral the cost of the system though.

KH

Future Proofing on £400 is a bit of a stretch, doing it with a BR/HD Player = Not gonna happen, not in a million years, No chance, you be SOL :D

Dragy2k

enablerbro1

Go WinXp rather than Vista, HE or Pro will be better supported.

The 2400 or 2600 will be pretty rubbish for gaming so I don't see any value in opting for the more expensive of the two for that. The 2400XT does the job for HD output and obviously can cope with day to day tasks.

Maybe consider a HGST HDD rather than the WD.

Scan are selling the Pioneer 112 this weekend for £17 which is as close to giving it away as I think they'll come.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Indeed, and the 2400XT has the added bonus of not sounding like a helicopter taking off :)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Go WinXp rather than Vista, HE or Pro will be better supported.

This was causing me a dilemma, but I think for him Vista is the right choice as through various patches/hotfixes it's a lot better regards compatibility than it used to be.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom