Fatal1ty HD190 problem or Vista / Driver issue?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by guv69, May 2, 2007.

1. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I bought an HTPC built around the Fatal1ty HD190. At the mo, its very basic spec and its running (when it does) Vista Ultimate.

Ive had lots of issues with installing Vista on it, but finally thought I had cracked it yesterday.

I had it running for a while and it appeared to be stable. Several reboots etc...yippee.

So now I had a stable system - time to update the drivers with the latest from the abit site - and also find whatever the unresolved usb device that was still shown.

In the manual, it instructs to install the southbridge driver first. The software itself, installs some ATI catalyst software which it states must be installed prior to doing the graphics card. So I run the install, it finds the "needed sb driver" and starts installing. It then locks the system and thats it until I wipe the hard drive and start again.

Even safe boot, roll back to last working configuration doesnt work. Attempting to install the windows disc (to do a repair) has a similar fate.

Has anyone successfully installed the newest Vista 32 driver for southbridge and come out the other side working fine? Anyone heard of anything similar / know a solution (that doesnt involve binning Vista!!!)

Cheers

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
  3. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No, that wasnt the driver used - but one specific for the HD190 motherboard from the abit website. The drivers in that link are for AMD chipsets. The HD190 is an Itel board!

However, its an idea to search for an equivalent Intel one. The stupid thing, is the driver used was specific for the HD190 running Vista 32. There are no other devices installed apart from the memory, CPU, Sata HDs and DVDR. ie a bare machine. The big question - does abit bother to test the drivers before uploading? It doesnt look like it!

I have now seen several other forum posts complaining of "dead" motherboards. It looks like I have something similar!

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I think you've gotten yourself a little confused - the drivers in the link aren't for "AMD Chipsets" - they're display drivers for the ATI chipset, and the HD190 has an ATI chipset for its graphics (AMD bought ATI, so the ATI drivers are now on the AMD site). The ATI/AMD drivers for the graphics chipset are nothing to do with the Intel CPU you have on the board.

BTW I put together a HD190 running Vista Ultimate yesterday and didn't have any problems you've described.

5. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You are correct in what you say - and I did delve deaper to find that after replying. However, I did note the chipset says its RX1250 (though vista does call it 1300 - and that driver is applicable to that.)

Fantastic :thumbsup: I need to pick your brains!

As you will have seen from the spec, I have no devices apart from bare bones components.

After installing Vista, what did you do next?

As I said, it did seem to be running fine, though system devices reported one item without a driver. (Delving, it mentions USB - so I am assuming, its USB related - but never resolved it before the OS got corrupted.) Did you have the same?

If you can remember, the drivers you used (and links if known) plus the order you installed, I would be eternally grateful. (Particularly if I get this system up and running!)

Putting everything together, couldn't have been easier. Just getting the OS system stable thats been the nightmare. And as you know, installing Vista isnt quick! (How long did the basic install take on yours? Mine was about 1.5 hours - which seems incrediblely long!) Also how long does your system now take to boot? When it was running, it still took a minute to boot - which seems a very long time also!

Cheers

6. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I didn't do anything out of the ordinary - installed Vista (about 30 minutes), let it run and install all its updates, installed the ATI Southbridge driver, then the ATI graphics driver, then the latest Realtek sound driver (from the Realtek site). I also did a update on the board to the latest BIOS (from the Abit downloads site).

Only issue I've got at the moment is I can't see any video when playing a HD-DVD via PowerDVD on my Plasma. Can see it on my computer monitor via DVI, and also via VGA.

7. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    30 minutes! Hmmm. That suggests something is up with mine as it took about 1 hour 30 minutes! Having said that, when I phoned the supplier (komplett) they said that was about right!

Which drivers did you use? The ones from the CD? I have been using the ones I downloaded from the abit site. The order you quote is exactly the same for me also. When you say install driver, do you mean you installed the catalyst exe file or just the driver?

I also upgraded the Bios. Having said that, do you know where to show in the bios which version is installed? (Just in case it didnt flash!)

Hopefully just a setting somewhere. Cant help you. I did manage to play back HD content fine - but not from HD-DVD

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I didn't use any drivers from the DVD - just the Catalyst/Southbridge 7.4 drivers from the AMD site, and then the latest Realtek drivers from their site.

9. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK Cheers. Thats interesting! The "latest drivers" according to Abit are 7.3 - so hopefully that will be better. So did you just install the driver - or run the installation by running setup.exe?

Sorry to be a pain in asking that - but Vista did load drivers that worked - it was the catalyst software that looks to be the culpret in crashing my system!

Still think I have an issue somewhere else (ie bios setting) because its unclear why you can install in 30 mins - yet it takes mine 3 times as long!

What setting did you use for SATA? (Mind you, Ive tried them all - and it didnt make much difference!)

10. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I did initially have a few issues with the SATA settings - I installed with them set to Legacy I think. It may have been a little longer than 30 minutes, but certainly wasn't over an hour - this could be down to machine specs. (quad core CPU 4GB fast RAM and a Raptor HD).

I run the full setups. BTW the Catalyst setup installs the ATI Southbridge driver as part of its setup, so there's no need to download and install it separately. Have only had one brief BSOD whilst messing around with PowerDVD.

11. sideysid

sideysid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Quad core eh? That setup must have cost you a fair bit.

I have this mobo, and am just waiting for the rest of the gear to turn up, and I'll let you know how I get on.

12. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes - I'm sure the spec did have something to do with it! Very nice!

I re-ran install again yesterday and got the time down to about 40 minutes. That was after increasing the memory timings - which I am still unsure id correct - but clearly can be very important. (it is currently 2.1V 4 4 4 12 22) The fist of the settings are as per the Corsair website, the last figure, they show as 2T - which I havent a clue if that equates to the 22 setting. Either way, it doesnt take alphabetical characters. Originally the bios was 1.8V, 5 5 5 18 22. When I changed it to 4 4 4 - it wouldnt even boot to the bios!

Again - this install seemed fine. But when I installed SB, this time - it did icomplete. (It did take a long time though - about 10 minutes at leaast.) Then when I installed the ATI graphics - it all fell over again.

It may well all be down to the memory settings.... or faulty MB, PSU who knows! I phoned Klompett again today. Their tech experts tell me "set the memory to 5 5 5." Yeh right!

Ive just asked for an RMA from them - and the whole kaboodle is going back. (The case is supposed to have 3 speed fans - but only has 2. At least this way they can test the whole lot and play computer experts to their hearts contents!

13. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    What have you got the HDMI setting at in the BIOS - Normal or DVI?

14. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Set to Normal. If you use DVI you get no audio. (At least thats what I read - but havent tried it to confirm.

One interesting/annoying thing......

Now that I appear to have it working ok (and got the 7.4 catalyst to install with the SB and graphics drivers), I noticed the "experience" score went down! Using the Vista drivers, it was 4.2 for graphics, now its 4.0. Everything else looks fine. CPU=5.3, Ram=4.9, Hard drives=5.7

Obviously the graphics is expected to be low - but strange that newer drivers make it worse!

At the mo, Im running a .mkv HD file. Picture looks cool - but have noticed its a little bit jerky in movement. (Like you would see if you are watching a NTCS on PAL TV type of thing.) Am I correct in thinking using HDMI, that isnt what would cause this? Any idea what would?

I will be ressurecting an old 5.1 Yamaha amp to connect over the weekend to put the system through its paces. (My DTS Sony amp suddenly stopped working - and never bothered to replace it....maybe I will now!)

15. Bretto

Bretto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Get in there guv!!!

So you reckon it's okay to get the fatal1ty now then?

It really would be "fatal" to me if thiings went tits up (the mrs will be hanging my dangly bits up)!!!!! She's not too keen on the whole HTPC thing.....she got the redecorating done, I'm getting a new TV system :D

16. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I wished I could say with 100% conviction....but I cant. Hopefully in time, I will be able to sort out the bios settings to perfection and also within Vista. There is still a long way to go before I am convinced, but the installation yesterday went a long way to restoring faith. thing is, apart from the SATA bios alteration, the only other setting changed, was for the RAM. Again the problem here is the settings are different to anything I've seen (advice wise) to use. Ive got it set on 2.1V and also changed the refresh on one setting. It seemed to have done the trick, but think there is still a little tweaking to go. I have no idea what the T2 setting referred to on the RAM itself or how to set to this. It says use, 4, 4, 4, 12, T2. The first ones are obvious, but not the latter - within this bios anyway.

17. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    BTW - Good deal for your RAM.... Almost tempted to make it 4GB !

18. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Another good one for ya.....

E6600 for £119 inc + Delivery. Hurry - there are only 2 left at time of posting!

Why do I find these after Ive already bought!:mad: