FAT32 and NTFS odd query

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by RockStrongo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    OK, I have searched for this and cannot see that it's been asked before.

I have an external hard drive which showed up under OSX and my XP running in VM Fusion. I wanted to transfer a file of about 5.4Gb to this, but it always failed. After reading around I understood that this was due to the 4Gb file limit under Fat32. So, I formatted the (80Gb) drive to NTFS and transferred the file no problem.
    Unfortunately my Xbox 360 won't recognise NTFS drives. So I thought I'd reconvert to FAT32. However it seems that this is not possible due to the 32Gb limit of Fat32.

Two questions.

First, how come my 80 Gbdrive was delivered preformatted to Fat32 if the limit is 32Gb?

Secondly now I've partitioned an 80 Gb drive into 32Gb of FAT32 and the rest to NTFS why won't anything show up on my MAc?

2. stewt'darrenner

stewt'darrenner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    in answer to question 1 - i got a 500gb ext. hdd just before x-mas and it to was FAT 32.
    fisrt thing i did was format it to ntfs.
    i presume the reason they do this is to ensure maximum compatibility with buyers computers.
    if i remember correctly, a FAT 32 disk will be seen by all PC's,
    whereas an NTFS will not be usable by a machine thats running on a FAT 32 system.
    as in your x-box.

as to the partition sizes with FAT 32,
    Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB, but will not allow you to format a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, start from a Microsoft Windows 98SE or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

not having a mac or having used osx,
    i'm not sure why your mac wont recognize the twin partitioned drive,
    it could be that having two differently formatted partitions confuse it :eek:
    neither am i sure why you would want to do this, but i'm presuming its so you can transfer large files to the FAT32 partition and then to your x-box and use the NTFS partition on your computer.
    if this is the case, and considering how very cheap external hard drives are these days it would probably be easier to buy another,
    (seagate freeagent 500GB - £57.50 @ overclockers.co.uk - seagate's are a good option as they come with a 5 year warranty)
    use the 80Gb you have on FAT32 and get, say a 500Gb for your computer.
    yes, you would still have the 32Gb partition problem on your FAT32 drive, but i'm sure you could find someone who either has a win98 disc, is still using 98 so could do it for you, or check out the classifieds in a magazine like micro mart for a copy.

hope this helps pal
    stew

3. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I don't have a drive connected to WinXP at the moment so can't comment on that, but you can certainly format a FAT32 drive with Linux, just download a distro like ubuntu, burn it to a disc, start your system up with it and FAT32 format the drive (make sure it's the correct one!!!)

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
  5. Boon72

Boon72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    i split a drive at work into HFS & NTFS, you need to do the partition in OSX disk utility - part 1 ntfs part 2 HFS, this way the PC will see it.

i would of thought it would be th simular for fat32

6. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I am having a similar problem, I run WinXP on my pc which is ntfs formatted, when I try to format an existing external hard drive to fat32, which is 250GB, it cannot do so.
    Would I have to do the same thing mentioned as Windows 98SE or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk, which I do not have, or can I use another type of software, as the one mentioned above is Linux based? Any help would mucho appreciato.
    It seems the PS3 compatibiltiy to only stream from fat32 partitioned drives is becoming a nuisance.

7. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Have a read of this thread. The third post contains the info you need.

8. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Cheers very useful

9. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Many thanks for all the replies.

I eventually formatted the drive into HFS using my iMac which my 360 can read and can transfer large files onto.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks to the Mod who corrected my spelling mistake in the title.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009