FastForward and Rewind Finally Working Properly?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bryce Curdy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be old news, but the problem with suddenly jumping several minutes when forwarding at X30 and to a lesser extent X12 seem to have been fixed.

I had recorded Chelsea - Liverpool last night and knew that the score was 1-0 with twenty odd minutes left so skimmed through the first 70 minutes at high speed to identify any highlights. Worked perfectly. Football or anything with a clock on screen is a good test by the way. You could see the clock move forward a minute every 2 seconds at X30 and every 5 seconds at X12.

Anyone else notice this?

2. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines still crap, they fixed the problem in the software update they done before anytime software download but as soon as the anytime software downloaded the problem was back again.

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    No. But I didn't actually know there was a problem for definite. I had noticed that the FF/RW functions felt wrong on HD but wasn't sure why.

If it is fixrd - great.

4. acf

acf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I tried it with a recording last night and when I went to 12x it seemed to crawl through it really slowly for ages then jumped 5 minutes in a second so guess it's not fixed after all.

5. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does appear that they fixed it and then the anytime software download overwrote the change. Talk about quality control. :rolleyes:

6. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    My fast forward and rewind are all over the place.
    4E3007 box too.:thumbsdow
    Not a big deal,but still.:rolleyes:

7. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,167
    I've not noticed any difference since install - it's the only problem I have with my HD box.

The fast forwarding at x30 is the worst as it seems to go no faster at first and then jumps about five minutes forward in one go - weird.

8. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have noticed that ad breaks on most channels are more or less the same length eg sky = 5mins,scifi 5 mins,c4 4 mins etc etc so on a recorded programme I do the following.It sounds long winded but I can get rid of ad breaks in less than 5 secs i reckon...

ad break,press back up,select,note last view time eg 30 mins,press right then select 35mins for a sky prog then press select again.sometimes you can nail the break perfectly !

as i say it sounds long winded but i now swear by it ! give it a go.

9. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having started this thread I can confirm that the problem is still as bad as ever. But it did work perfectly for the football on Wednesday. I wonder if it somehow might have been because I was watching a program I was still recording.

10. James Payne

James Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The problem is definitely still there...........well for me anyway.

Recorded the Mboro v Spurs match via Football First in the early hours. When I started the recording the programme had not started , however on screen are the clubs emblems & underneath is the countdown to the match.

The countdown started from 3 minutes. I FF on x12 and everything was fine , you could see the countdown decreasing at the speed it should do.

I then pressed x30 , & within a second the countdown jumped from 2:15 to 1:00.

Before I had time to do anything , the next thing I know is that the game has started.

Quite clearly not sorted on SD playback , & the same old year old problem.

Regards James

11. usenetz

usenetz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would love it if you could jump back/forward by a specific time, e.g. press 5 while in playback mode and jump forward five minutes, or RW5 and go back 5 minutes. The arrow keys could also be utilised for this function. :thumbsup:

On my Toppy I can jump back or forward with the press of just one button, and I can set specific time in seconds. :cool:

But hey, we have been waiting for ever for a 'previous channel' button, (Back-up maybe), and ain't got that so the chance of time jumps are .... well zero! :suicide:

john

12. andersonshatch

andersonshatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can save you a button press:)eek:); you don't have to press the right arrow, you can just type in the number of minutes you want.

:)
    Josh

13. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

try my technique above - not a simpel button press but it is far easier than it sounds !

14. mpattend

mpattend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an 06 box and have had no problems with the rw/ff functions, but it does take a couple of seconds to get up to speed if you know what I mean :)

15. RSVdaz

RSVdaz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    ive noticed ff/rw is not as smooth as my old + box as well

16. usenetz

usenetz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Thanks Matt :thumbsup:

Whilst not the most elegant of methods it works very well, and I can confirm, as Josh said, you don't have to press the right arrow.

Thanks to both of you. :hiya:

john

17. ittim

ittim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can't believe how poor the ff rw are on my box, my 4 year old sky plus box was far better. its actually quite annoying!

18. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    agreed it is atrocious.30xmisses somany frames you can jump several mins into the show before you realise!

19. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I had problems with my Sky HD box slow fast fowarding / rewinding at 12x & 30x. I just unplugged the box for a minute, plugged it back in & now everything fine.

20. kevstarkie

kevstarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My new HD box is doing this also. Thought it might be a box fault but seeing this makes me think not. My +box was so much smoother and the hd box like others say kind of freezes and then jumps forwards too much. Can this be fixed at all, has anyone tried contacting sky over this. Also my HD box creaks/cracks,ticks in noise, its hard to explain does others do this.

21. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    me too.. had HD now for about 3 weeks, and the ff/rw is shockingly poor compared to our 4 year old sky+ box..

my wife is forever complaining about how it doesn't work properly.. even when you press "play" it sometimes does something different??

anyway, is this a software issue that sky could fix over the air? or is it a hardware fix which will require a new box?

I'm still under my 12 month warranty, so if it is the box itself, i could get a replacement?

i would of thought if it worked fine with sky+ software/hardware, then that would of been the basis of the skyHD box too?!

thanks

22. YousafM

YousafM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree also, forward and rewind is erratic.

A lot of sky users have complained about the speeds of 12x and 30x for some time, i also noticed this since the begining of HD launch. However this did not bother me so much, but recently some users mentioned that the FF and RW at 12x and 30x has improved. I could not notice any difference but i noticed last month or so that like others when you forward or rewind and play it can jump backwards or forwards by a minute or so which is a worse problem then the speed corrections of 12x and 30x. I would rather prefer they avoid/solve this erratic jumping forward and backwards as this was not there originally.