Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

fastest motherboards

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by peve3, Apr 2, 2003.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi there,
    can any body tell me whats the fastest motherboard money can buy for the pentium 3.06 i wanna build the ultimate gaming rig

2. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would suggest you wait for another week and go for Asus P4C800. It is the first to offer 800MHz FSB and Dual Channel PC400 memory support.

I agree with acs1, when you want to build "the ultimate gaming rig", components are not going to be cheap.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,689
    http://www.PCpro.co.uk have some motherboards on test this month both for Intel and AMD. Personally I prefer AMD.

5. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    k thx alot,
    now on to my next question fastest ram i like duel ddr cause its cheaper but whats the differance between all types here is one i might get :

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory_specs.php?id=18

basically i confused as to what it all means !! branxx said wait for the new asus bouard and its supports duel channel pc400 but isnt PC3700-DDR466 DRAM Module faster ?

and is there really a big differance between rambus and ddr ?

6. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,689
    Ones out of stock and the other isn’t.:D

No the dearer one is Quote This full retail Intel product is supplied with Intel Heatsink and Fan and has a 3 year warranty;)

I think the cheaper one without Intel Heatsink and Fan will probably only have a years warranty.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Dual Channel DDR is good, however I doubt you will notice any increase between dual channel PC2700 and PC3200. The only noticeable difference is in 3D rendering programs ie 3D Studio Max. For normal applications and games it is not worth the extra expense.

Make sure you get good quality PC2700 DDR with a CAS of 2.

Rambus in terms of frequency looks faster but Dual DDR still matches it. There are some differences in read/write activities but they kind of balance out. Bottom line is that you will not get performance differences between Dual DDR and Rambus.

In terms of buying components for gaming I would order them in the following importance. This means I would go out of my way to spend the most money on the highest quality of that category :-

1) Motherboard - Go for stability first, then speed second. ASUS really are the dogs danglies.
    2) PSU - Make sure you get a nice stable PSU like an Antec Truepower, get the highest rated you can afford.
    3) Monitor - A good monitor is one of the best PC components you can buy without it your ninja PC will simply look awful. The new 17" TFT's with 16ms response times are fairly cheap these days.
    4) Graphics Card - One of the most expensive components make sure you get a good one.
    5) CPU - Get the best bang for buck, you do not need to get the best CPU available, they depreciate the fastest of all components and will likely be your first choice of upgrade.
    6) RAM - This is pretty cheap these days, simply get the 512megs minimum of good quality RAM, Crucial or Corsair.
    7) HD - Get a good quiet Hard Disk, 80Gb should suffice, it will likely die before you fill that up.
    8) Mouse - Spend the extra cash to get a nice optical mouse with lots of buttons, like the Intellimouse Explorer.
    8) Soundcard - Get a decent soundcard, usually the standard mobo cards are awful.
    9) Network card - If not included on your mobo.
    10) Keyboard - Not really all that important, keyboard is a keyboard :)

Motherboard and PSU really are the building blocks of your PC, make sure you do not skimp on them or you will be kicking yourself when your PC locks up or crashes during that 10 death killing spree you were on. If you do not want to build this all yourself, I would look at www.alienware.co.uk. They build the best commercial gaming rigs known to man :p

9. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    If you are going to build a killer rig then it has to be the Antec :)

Buy a Q-Tec if you want it to crash/die.

11. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    k cool this is what im going for :

Crucial 256MB PC133 CAS-2 (MY-004-CR) X2

Sony CRX220A 52x24x52x CDRW IDE Retail (CD-004-SO) £39.50

Gigabyte GA-8INXP "Granite Bay" Motherboard (MB-000-GI)

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-014-MD) 1

Globalwin GAT-001 v.2 Aluminium Case (CA-008-GL) 1

Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU (CA-003-AN) 1

Intel Pentium 4 'Northwood' 2.8BGHz Retail Boxed (CP-012-IN) 1

TOTAL-917

can u just cheak it all plz to make sure its all A ok im not sure if it will all work together thx for your help !!

12. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just found this

http://www.globalwin.com.tw/new-product/gat001.html

it says:
    Motherboard: ATX, Micro ATX, P3, P4

does that mean i can only use them motherboards in the case proberly sounding really dumb now !!

whats Power supply: free select mean ?

guess it means i can use any power suppli what about duel fan ?

13. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your gonna have to change the ram to DDR, here is a list from crucial of what that board will support

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...fr=Giga-Byte&cat=RAM&model=GA-8INXP&submit=Go

If you buy direct from crucial not only is is cheaper but also if you buy it from that page they guarantee it will be compatable with your board.

Yes that means the case will accomadate either ATX or mATX motherboards the one you've chosen is ATX so you'll be fine.

There's a few things missing from that list (graphics card) I assume your not mentioning them on purpose.

Anyway for some good prices check the following:
    www.tekheads.co.uk
    www.dabs.com
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.watford.co.uk
    www.insight.com/uk

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer I disagree with your sentiments on duall ddr not really being any better, I've used Rambus, normal DDR and now dual ddr, the latter is way ahead when you start to overclock. Each step up in fsb pulls it away from the other chipsets, I'm only at 153 fsb and at 3.2Ghz but the performance rivals a 3.5Ghz P4 in a normal DDR mobo.

Even though I prefer Intel as a rule by far the best option for a gaming rig at the moment is to go AMD. Their £45 XP1700s are all easily overclocking to over 2Ghz and when coupled with an n-force mobo they wipe the floor with P4s right up to at least 3.6Ghz or so, this has been proven. Two friends of mine, one with AMD and N-force at 2.3Ghz matched the performance of the other's 3.6Ghz P4, scary huh. An n-force mobo and these JIUHB XP1700s will set you back about 130-150 quid, an Intel 3.06 and a dual ddr mobo would be in the region of £550, do you need any more convincing.

IMO this is the setup to get in terms of bang for buck :

AMD JIUHB XP1700 from www.cpucity.co.uk

Any N-force mobo (Abit is a good one)

Twinmoss PC2700/3200 Ram (512Mb minimum)

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (if you're brave you can flash the bios to a 9700 Pro bios and clock the card to high levels resulting in huge gains)

Enermax 460w PSU with fan control

Those basic components should give you an ultra fast gaming rig, certainly fast enough for today's games.

Phil

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I tend not to base my opinions on overclocking results. The majority of users on this forum are not really familiar with it. Also, I usually assume that if someone starts asking about guides to components they are not really looking to overclock it.

I agree with your sentiments, but my real point was that it is not worth worrying about RAMBUS being faster, because it isn't, especially at stock speeds.

If you are unfamiliar with building PCs, it is usually bad enough getting a system to work let alone start overclocking it :rotfl:

Overclocking is effective, but as a beginner it is likely to be far more expensive, I do not know many overclockers who have not at some point had their experiements go astray and have to fork out for replacement components. These days I go down the safe route and use most of my stuff at stock speeds, I have my graphics card slightly overclocked. Guess I am just getting old, can afford slightly more expensive components and prefer stability over speed :clap:

N-Force 2 is the dogs danglies though, I just upgraded to an ASUS A7N8X and haven't experienced a single crash yet, nor any ACPI conflicts, of which I had quite a few on my previous VIA chipsets.

16. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i have to disagree with a few points made here.

1) dual ddr is VERY MUCH FASTER. but only on intel platforms. It doesnt do anything for amd-based pc's
    2)SPARKLE make the absolute best PSU's. i have a friend who deals with psu's every day and he swares buy them. He knows his stuff, and i beleieve every word he says.
    3) twinmos ram is just as good (and usually better) than any corsair or crucial ram, with the added bonus of being quite a bit cheaper.

now as for those XP1700+ JIUHB's that Apocalypse mentioned. Well, they just got a whole lot better. the newest JIUHB 1700+ have a DLT3C code on them - indicating a lower operating voltage (1.5v) than the older JIUHB's. I've yet to see one that DOESN'T do 2.2ghz at defult voltage. These babies are hitting 2.4ghz very regularly:)

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know quite a few people who have these CPUs and the lowest overclock is 2.3Ghz, without doubt the best value CPU in a long long time.

18. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hello

This thread has just boosted my confidence, I have just ordered the following:

AMD JIUHB XP1700

Abit Nforce 2 mobo

2 * 256 MB PC3200 Corsair RAM

Antec 1080AMG case with powers upply.

this will be used with a Radeon 9700, 60 Gb Barracuda and DVD drive etc......

Here's hoping it is an overclocking monster with some good 3D processing power ready for Doom 3.

Cheers

Rob

19. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    ASUS A7N8X nforce 2 motherboard is supposed ot be the best
    Epox 8RDA+ nforce2 is another good board.

I bought Winbond 512 MB Ram DDR (PC2700)333 £56

Barton chips are good because they run at 333 ram bus and have 512 cache. Barton 2500 runs at 1.8 mhz. I think i read somewhere that the Barton 2500 can run at similar speeds as a 3ghz Intel but i am not sure about that.

Graphic cards if you wait till end of the month you can get the radeon 9600 pro with direct x9 for about £120-130 unlkess you have loads of money in which case get the radeon 9800 pro £350

20. cradleoffilth

cradleoffilth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try the Abit bh7. it overclocks well (800mhz FSB)

21. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hello,

Just thouth I would report back about my PC parts. below I have pasted the text from another of my posts.

I must say that this PC is a monster and at the cost a real bargain. I haven't taken it to the overclocking extreme yet, so there may be more to come.

Cheers

Rob

22. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some Papst fans from Quiet PC. They're pretty good.
    Sky+ box uses a 60mm Papst

Just bought a HCPC from QuietPC. and they said not to bother initially with case funs, and only add them if absolutely necessary, so I'll try that way.

There's also a MoBo monitor utility linked to their site. Quite handy - as you can use a keybord shortcut to bring up the Mobo & CPU temp on screen for 5 secs (as well as config various other options of course)