• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fastest Gigabit Unmanaged switch?

Gary Brunsdon

Established Member
Hi - currently using a Netgear GS605 to enable the connection of my Synology Nas and Panasonic smart tv.

It was bought a few years ago now, and wonder if I bought something newer it might give me even better performance?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No point as your TV doesn't have a Gbe connection. The switch would be fine anyway.

+1 for that.

Are you having a particular performance issue if so it could be the NAS or the TV that's the cause. I don't find my Panny that quick to navigate stuff but that's down to the TV.

MooCow

Prominent Member
That is already a gigabit switch from the product specs - GS605

No point in swapping

mre15

Established Member
Have you checked that it actually working in gigabit mode, myself and a few friends had that switch and it was really bad at holding gigabit connections. It would often drop itself back into 100mbit connections for no reason.

I swapped to a cheap tplink unmanaged switch and never looked back.

You can check which mode it is in by the colour of the lights for each connection, amber for 100. green for gigabit.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
:laugh: they do not have rj45 connectors? They do not have ethernet ports?
:clap:

you can run 100mbs over Cat6 without issues the connectors are the same.

Now I am confused did you mean to say that in your first paragraph.

You can run 10mbs over cat 6 but I don't think that will help here.

The limiting factor if it isn't the nas will be the TV 100 Meg or wireless connection

drummerjohn

Prominent Member
:laugh: they do not have rj45 connectors? They do not have ethernet ports?
:clap:

you can run 100mbs over Cat6 without issues the connectors are the same.

You obviously don't understand network terminology. GBe is Gigabit ethernet. Yes SmartTVs have ethernet ports but NOT GigaBit ethernet so any switch rated more than 100mbps is pointless.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom