Fastest 200mb Homeplugs?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by kamaran, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Guys,

Tried to find an answer online but found lots of reviews for 1-2 adapters, never a comprehensive test of all products available.

Does anyone know what the fastest 200Mb homeplugs available are? Is there a benchmark available across products?

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    As they all have to conform to the Homeplug standard any variation in speed should be marginal. Add the bottleneck of the 100 Mb/s Ethernet port I would have thought that reliability and value for money would be more important when choosing them.

3. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks.

Some online reviews have noted quite variable speeds across products, hence my question.

Although there are a few products on special offer at the moment, the named brands are broadly across the same price range and seem to offer a 1 year guarantee.

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    That is interesting. At what point have they seen the speed variations and by how much?

5. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  6. jimborae

jimborae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Solwise ones that I've got I seem to remember doing very well in a comparative test. Can't find the link though but I can confirm that they are incredibly stable and fast enough for streaming video. They really are plug n' play and forget about them. I'm running four of them in my flat with very old electrical wiring and some off mulitiple extension sockets.

7. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    there are 2 chipsets available - both different performance wise, depending on the environment

UPA (DS2) chipsets - as in some Dlink and Netgear HDX powerline adapters

Homeplug (Intellon) chipsets - as in some Linksys, Zyxel and some other Netgear ones XAV series I think

its like HD DVD vs Blu-ray or Betamax vs VHS all over again with Powerline adapters, and the 2 "standards" are not interoperable right now - so be carefule if adding to an existing network

nor will either communicate with older 85Mbps or 14Mbps (both Intellon standards)

Intellon are a US company, and big over there in this tech, call theirs "Homeplug" which has been taken as a name for this technology, when in fact its a trade name - like "hoover" for vacuum cleaner ;)

DS2 are their competitor - a Spanish company, and are big in Europe and Far East with this tech - they were the first out with 200Mbps powerline adapters

I have seen tests of both Intellon (Homeplug AV) and DS2 (UPA ) chips where they connect at 200Mbps, and both come close to 100Mbps of real throuhput - this is in ideal conditions with like 6ft of clean cable between them in a lab. Introduce some forms of interference and it drops through the floor ....one chipset vendor will demo theirs better than the other with one type of interference and vice versa ...each one trying to look better than the other...and in certain scenarios they are - reason being is that the algorithms they have built in for dealing with interference are very different in their approaches, hence you can have some that perform better than the others in your house, and someone else will swear by a different type

Anyway, if you had 3 phase in home (like in Denmark) Id recommend DS2 based jobbies - they jump phases rather well, just giving 1/3rd of the bandwidth per phase whereas the Intellon ones didnt seem to work at all ....however this is a non-issue here in the UK so either 200Mbps solution will work fine

Id just stick to a major manufacturer rather than a no-name Chinese brand, as they are more likely to have been tested thoroughly, get better support/warranty etc :smashin:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cheers, top post.

9. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Just a few quick observations. Homeplug is actually an alliance of companies and defines a standard (like UPA is a standard) and the name is owned by them rather than just one company.

My observations are that Homeplug is becoming the VHS and UPA the Betamax of powerline comms.

10. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    correct Beerhunter - Homeplug started with Intellon and they (very shrewdly) licensed it to other companies, so they can "gang up" on DS2 ...it didnt go to plan with the IEEE though ;)

it is rumoured that they both realise that they are just holding things up, and they may even work together, so the new 400Mbps solutions they are working on, could be a joint standard, and make it a lot easier for consumers going forward :smashin: