1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faster Starting Windows 2000 pro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jimcarney, Mar 27, 2004.

1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was trying get my missus P.C. to load faster but I get a message cant find msconfig file or any of its components anyone any ideas on how to get Windows2000 Pro to load faster.
    Thanks in Advance , Ji

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  3. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stlic hi, can I use this zip to access startup inWK2..... need more help computers are not my strong point...... Jim. pm me!:confused:

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You'll need tio unzip it and then you run it from the Run command or create a shortcut to it. Then works just like the one in XP

5. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Use the above MSCONFIG to remove any programs that you don't want to start with windows, then check the startup folder on the start menu to ensure that there is nothing starting up in there as well.

If you are looking to actually reduce the boot time, 2 things tend to slow things down. Logging onto a network and a fragmented hard drive.

Don't forget, you should defrag your hard drive as soon as you have installed windows as the windows installation puts things all over the place.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Disable any inactive IDE channels in the device manager.

7. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Keith, The 2 ide channels are primary 1 & secondary 2 would it be alright if I disabled the secondary ....Thanks in advance .....Jim

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I'd assume you've got at least one HD on the primary master and a dvdrom drive on the secondary master.

Changing to none for the slaves on both primary and secondary ide if you don't use them ( natch) sped boot up enormously on 3 of my machines running W2K.

Do this in the bios of the mobo ( select none rather than auto which is the likely default)

Also do similar in the device manager in windows for the IDE ports ( you'll need to be in as administrator I think).

Obviously if you have a device on either of these slave ports doing the above will disable the device(s) in question.

When I installed a second HD in my W2K based HTPC just changing the primary slave settings to auto doubled my boot up times.

9. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    This sounds like a problem with your BIOS settings, and specifically the DMA mode was probably wrong, leading to it testing different modes at boot-up until it found one than worked. This will slow down a boot.

Also disable any services that you don't need. There are websites which explain what services are necessary, and which are not. Google will help here.

Remove any shortcuts in your start menu that are unnecessary, such as real player, virus checkers, etc. (often the software with new devices install all kinds of rubbish that you don't need). Virus scans can be run manually, and so it often isn't necessary have a virus checker running continually in the background (and these packages often run all kinds of services themselves, like auto-update functions, etc.). Disable them all.

Clean the system of any spyware using "adaware" or something to do a full scan of your system. It's a free download.

Remove any unnecessary items in the registry in the "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run" location.