Fast Watching - with sound

GCruickshank

Standard Member
Question: I currently have an early JVC HD recorder (HM-HDS1) with the brilliant ability to watch recordings at 1.5-times normal speed with perfectly understandable sound (audio is chopped and compressed so frequency does not rise). Has this feature disappeared from the new generation of HD recorders?

Although I can watch while recording, this is not the same as Chase Play, which only plays at normal speed. My machine lets me watch a 60-minute programme in 40 minutes with full sound. Or start watching a half-hour programme 10 mins in and catch up by the end of the programme.

I don't see this feature on any current PVR - or have I missed something?

Gordon Cruickshank

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Question: I currently have an early JVC HD recorder (HM-HDS1) with the brilliant ability to watch recordings at 1.5-times normal speed with perfectly understandable sound (audio is chopped and compressed so frequency does not rise). Has this feature disappeared from the new generation of HD recorders?

Although I can watch while recording, this is not the same as Chase Play, which only plays at normal speed. My machine lets me watch a 60-minute programme in 40 minutes with full sound. Or start watching a half-hour programme 10 mins in and catch up by the end of the programme.

I don't see this feature on any current PVR - or have I missed something?

Gordon Cruickshank

Welcome to the forum.

For what it's worth, Panasonic DVDR's have a 1.3 speed play with sound.

I don't know the status with current PVR's - We'll have to wait to hear from those with direct experience.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Welcome to the forum.

For what it's worth, Panasonic DVDR's have a 1.3 speed play with sound.

I don't know the status with current PVR's - We'll have to wait to hear from those with direct experience.

Not sure if any offer this facility. I can confirm that Freeview Topfield 5800 and Humax 9200 and Freesat Humax-hdr do not. There might be a TAP for the Toppy that can do this but I can't find one on a quick search

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom