Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw 4K Blu-ray Review & comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Another on my long lists of to watch films. I didn't really need to read the review on this one. I love the film, when I had a quick shuftee it looked good and sounded decent enough. Nice for it to be confirmed I suppose ;) Your review has pushed it up the list though :)

*edit* Wait a minute
and things like efficient storytelling, characterisation and plot all utterly surplus to requirements.
That is very very unfair mate :) Yes it's just another McGufin chase but still. The relationships between the protagonist and the Stath's sister? Come on! That's more than enough story for a flying cars film.

We were a little disappointed with this film. Okay we realised it was never going to be a serious, well thought out and logical bit of entertainment but even so all the "high tech" nonsense was just a little too far fetched - and I do realise I'm writing this in the context of a F&F movie! :rotfl:

And the ending dragged on for far too long (whilst including the quickest night to day transition I've seen for a long time!).

The review says "There's at least 85 minutes of high octane blistering action and snappy hilarity in this 135 minute movie". Absolutely agree with that sentiment, and if they'd trimmed it down to around 100 minutes and removed the sci-fi gadgetry guff it would have been much better.

But of course this is just our subjective opinion, and what do we know...? :)

Good review, great picture, and I even enjoyed the movie (for what it is), but I found the LFE to be dreadful for the most part! After a decent thump near the start got me warmed up, I had to check my sub was still turned on after a bit as there were plenty of explosions but no discernible output. Lots of bass from the music numbers, but the explosions etc were sorely lacking.

Tried Ready Player One car sequence directly after just to check all was good with my setup, and was like I had added 10db to the sub channels all of a sudden...

We were a little disappointed with this film. Okay we realised it was never going to be a serious, well thought out and logical bit of entertainment but even so all the "high tech" nonsense was just a little too far fetched - and I do realise I'm writing this in the context of a F&F movie! :rotfl:

And the ending dragged on for far too long (whilst including the quickest night to day transition I've seen for a long time!).

The review says "There's at least 85 minutes of high octane blistering action and snappy hilarity in this 135 minute movie". Absolutely agree with that sentiment, and if they'd trimmed it down to around 100 minutes and removed the sci-fi gadgetry guff it would have been much better.

But of course this is just our subjective opinion, and what do we know...? :)
No accounting for taste ;) But then I also like Godzilla KOM and The Grand Budapest Hotel so.....

Good review, great picture, and I even enjoyed the movie (for what it is), but I found the LFE to be dreadful for the most part! After a decent thump near the start got me warmed up, I had to check my sub was still turned on after a bit as there were plenty of explosions but no discernible output. Lots of bass from the music numbers, but the explosions etc were sorely lacking.

Tried Ready Player One car sequence directly after just to check all was good with my setup, and was like I had added 10db to the sub channels all of a sudden...
That's interesting. I'll have to check that out.

No accounting for taste ;) But then I also like Godzilla KOM and The Grand Budapest Hotel so.....

For me there are usually no wrong opinions. If you like it you like it, if you hate it you hate it - and don't let anyone else try to convince you otherwise! It'd be a boring world if we all agreed on everything (hmm, that's starting to sound political now...). :)

We had distinctly different opinions on TGBH in this house - I liked it!

For me there are usually no wrong opinions - if you like it you like it, if you hate it you hate it! It'd be a boring world if we all agreed on everything (hmm, that's starting to sound political now...). :)

We had distinctly different opinions on TGBH in this house - I liked it!
Now all you need to do is like Hobbs & Shaw (a lot) for me to determine that you are indeed a man of good character and taste.

I was a big fan of Robert Shaw. Not sure who this Hobbs is though (partner of Calvin)?

My only disappointment with Hobbs & Shaw was over the songs. Unremittingly awful music. I realize mainstream movies are eventually going to move on from mining the '60s-'80s (and what a sad day that will be) but I'm not ready!!! Otherwise, quite entertaining.

No DTSX track? Getting frustrated at the limited number of films coming out without the 2nd sound option. Enjoyed the film only to find the DTSX logo coming up at the end credits!

No DTSX track? Getting frustrated at the limited number of films coming out without the 2nd sound option. Enjoyed the film only to find the DTSX logo coming up at the end credits!
I was a bit surprised, too. It was in DTSX in the theater and it's on the DTSX website.

That's what I thought. I guess that's why there's no DTS-X option then as I'm not aware of any disc out there that carries both Atmos and DTS-X.

nice review cas On my rent al list

I really miss the days when action films were around the 90 minute mark. Blockbusters are way too long now...

Good review anyway, I'll be putting it on my Cinema Paradiso rental list for sure. There's no way I'll get through the whole film, it looks and sounds tedious to me, but, i'm a 'visuals' whore, so I'm keen to see it nonetheless.

As an aside, I find it interesting that you review these films on a TV that's almost 3 years old now. Speaks volumes does that...(in a good way)

Utterly ridiculous, even by F&F standards. Still, Statham and The Rock are always good value although I'm not sure why Statham has to speak through the side of his mouth like Popeye for most of this.

These have turned into what used to be a bought volume of non fiction books that never got read but admired for its pretty pictures...

Last edited:
Had fun with the movie, completely agree it outstayed it’s welcome.
Wasn’t going to bother picking it up but after that review, I’ll keep my eye out for it in the trades.

Picture and soundtrack....are amazing but film is 2/10.
One dimensional film full of one dimensional actors.

Disappointed really.

how many more FF movies will we get before thay land a dodge charger on the moon. Shouldnt jest, there is probably a script already in the works :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom