Fast & Furious 9 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Thanks for the review Cas. I missed this in the cinema so I’m looking forward to watching it on disk, hopefully Amazon will get their shit in order and dispatch it soon. Hopefully my neighbours won’t be to upset about the noise.

Clearly you didn't get that I was being facetious lol. My comment was because I made a similar remark about the disagreement with the movie review (as did many others) and some apologist came on told us "how dare you question CAS" it is his opinion and that can't be wrong!

So I said my comment in jest as my original comment last page was similar to yours
One is best to tag the reviewer onto or reply directly to said reviewer on said review rather than tag onto a random comment from a member or indeed members if one clearly does not want to be seen as being facetious.

A Fudging F bloody 9 film , I don't wanna engage in this ...

I couldn't get over thirty minutes, embarassing movie, the worst of all FF.

2/10 for me.

To sure how this got 9 out of 10🤔

The film itself only got 7.

Just because the film itself is flawed, doesn't mean that the video and or the audio on the disc will also be flawed in some way. The end score or overall score is calculated using all the scores and not just the one awarded to the film itself. The UHD package as a whole is being rated, not just the movie. The various element all contribute to the overall score awarded.

if simply talking about the movie then it scored 7 and not 9!

by default 2021-10-11 at 13.16.26.png

The rating the movie received here is however 1 point more than it was awarded when reviewed as a cinema release:

The film was given a 6 when originally reviewsd by Tom Davies.

A review is the point of view of the reviewer. You don't have to agree with it, but you would be expected to allow him to express that point of view. The fact his point of view differs to yours is neither here nor there really. Read the review instead of just looking at the score at the end!

Last edited:
Well I'm glad its not just me that thought this movie was garbage. Even the action sequences felt off to me and boring. I think the over-reliance on CGI was partly the reason, its become just like watching a computer game cut-scene with no stakes involved. I switched it off about 2/3 of the way through and watched a much older action movie, Commando, instead. I think the physicality of real stunt work adds a lot to a movie, having real car smash-ups was much more fun and engaging than watching CGI cars exploding into fireballs.

Well I'm glad its not just me that thought this movie was garbage. Even the action sequences felt off to me and boring. I think the over-reliance on CGI was partly the reason, its become just like watching a computer game cut-scene with no stakes involved. I switched it off about 2/3 of the way through and watched a much older action movie, Commando, instead. I think the physicality of real stunt work adds a lot to a movie, having real car smash-ups was much more fun and engaging than watching CGI cars exploding into fireballs.
Your line regarding CGI sums it up pretty perfectly, there's no danger.
I can't comment on FF9 as I've not bothered watching it but using one of the earlier FF movies as an example, where the cars go from one building, fly through the air and land in another building. It looks nice but I wasn't impressed because it was as real as Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff and peeling himself off the road.
My favourite car stunt is the jump in The Man with the Golden Gun (would be better without the stupid sound effect). That is so impressive. Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry has a proper jaw on the floor moment with a helicopter chasing a car. They don't make them like that anymore. Just realised they were both released in 1974, must have been a good year for car stunts as the original Gone in 60 Seconds was also 1974.
Good choice with Commando, I absolutely love that movie. 90 minutes of pure entertainment.

Just watched this last night, loved it :) Yes, it's bad and yes, it's got nothing to do with the original F&F movie, but so what? It's just fast-paced 4-wheeled mayhem and loadsa favourite-character fanservice. Surprisingly I didn't miss Hobbes or Shaw. Teasers at the end pretty-much guarantee a FF:X movie, and I'm guessing Charlize "Bowl Cut" Theron will be in it too :)

Oh, but let's be clear, worst acting goes - sadly - to Lucas Black. Man he was off his game, which is a pity because Tokyo Drift remains my favourite movie of the franchise...

Your line regarding CGI sums it up pretty perfectly, there's no danger.
I can't comment on FF9 as I've not bothered watching it but using one of the earlier FF movies as an example, where the cars go from one building, fly through the air and land in another building. It looks nice but I wasn't impressed because it was as real as Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff and peeling himself off the road.
My favourite car stunt is the jump in The Man with the Golden Gun (would be better without the stupid sound effect). That is so impressive. Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry has a proper jaw on the floor moment with a helicopter chasing a car. They don't make them like that anymore. Just realised they were both released in 1974, must have been a good year for car stunts as the original Gone in 60 Seconds was also 1974.
Good choice with Commando, I absolutely love that movie. 90 minutes of pure entertainment.
I liked FF8 but this one did nothing for me. The series seems to one up itself in the ridiculous stakes with each movie and has a car chase sequence even more impossible than the building jumping one! In my view its gone from a car enthusiast/cruising movie with heart to a live/CGI action cartoon. I think the ending of FF7 would have been the perfect time to finish the series before it jumped the shark, which it now has done IMHO. But people do still love it and its a financial juggernaut.

I loved the real impressive car stunt work in Fury Road and Mad Max 1 and 2, Ronin, Gone in 60 seconds etc, etc. I found the CGI/ CGI assisted sequences in FF9 kind of detracted from the action in my opinion. I liked the series more when it was more grounded rather than its current cartoon action form. I haven't seen Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry I will have to look out for it as we seem to have a similar taste in movies :)

I thought this film was a bit like the last XXX reboot, also starring Vin (VD) Diesel.
It’s stupid, defies physics and has a good sense of fun.

I think anyone who goes in expecting things from a film like plot, realism, acting, emotion, intelligent social commentary etc would be disappointed. It does have Vin Diesel on the cover so no one should be surprised.

We like to watch this and newish XXX from the perspective of its a comedy where everyone involved is in on the joke except Vin Diesel, who believes he’s in some kind of masterpiece, where all the other characters are in love with him. The idea Vin diesel believes he is this auteur delivering earth shattering insights into the human condition makes it funnier.

Especially as you can see other characters blatantly taking the piss out of him “he was as tall as you”, when we know tiny Vin is like Tom Cruise in the extraordinary lengths he goes to to look as tall as other people.

and vin’s blank face gurning “family”, and “Torretto” as everyone else on set looks embarrassed.

In short: fun film made better by watching with alcohol and imagining Vin Diesel has no idea everyone is openly mocking him. We loved it.

Side note: this would’ve been better if Vin wore his ludicrous XXX furry coat, AND his wig from Last Witchhunter. Both those things made my wife cry with laughter

Watched this one yesterday with the family...and oh dear !! We've all been fans of the series for the sheer spectacle and machismo or the Rock, The Stath and the Vin.....but this had no of that and was just dull. I kept falling asleep despite the action and noise. The over-reliance on CGI just detracts even more and characters jumping out of exploding trucks and cars without a scratch on them just laughable (at least some blood or bruises would help). What is the point on dragging older characters back from the dead? The "moonraker" stuff was so bad it was hilarious !! ...and if I hear "family" one more time I'll scream

Despite all that the kids enjoyed it.

Good PQ and AQ on the disc.

As always thanks for the review

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom